Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What is the best Alternative to Quicken after 2020 (Non Subscription)
Old 03-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What is the best Alternative to Quicken after 2020 (Non Subscription)

As we know Quicken Desktop, Stand Alone, Non Subscription is being discontinued. From What I can read QFX downloads will not work after that. I was wondering what the best Windows Desktop Alternative is.

I would basic functionality such as; Quicken to conversion, QFX Support (DL from financial Institution), and NW, Expense etc. Reports. Other than general Financial stuff, that is really all.

Moneydance comes to mind. I do not want a cloud or web based version.

Please do not try to convince me that cloud or web based systems are bullet proof as I am DEAD set against cloud versions for a good reason, even if it be old school.

During my most recent w*rking years (pre 2010), we marketed stand alone and cloud based Document Management Systems and I know how easily the data streams (at the time) were easily hacked and interpreted and redirected. As a result I store nothing of value on any cloud based system, and never will regardless of what technology is in place. If it was not approved by all my Nuclear NRC compliant customers, I cannot in good mind use them myself. They stored All proprietary data in local or remote facilities and only non mission critical data in the cloud.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What features are you looking for? There is no single piece of software that can replace everything Quicken does, but most people don't use all the Quicken features, so tell us what you use it for and maybe we'll come up with something.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:14 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
What features are you looking for? There is no single piece of software that can replace everything Quicken does, but most people don't use all the Quicken features, so tell us what you use it for and maybe we'll come up with something.
Updated OP.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #4

I'm working on transferring all my Quicken account data to an Excel spreadsheet, about 95% complete. All my online accounts can be exported to a csv file so it's a matter of copying any updates into the Excel table I have setup for each account. Can also export individual Quicken accounts into a csv file for any old data you no longer have online access to. Quicken has a lot of features I don't need or use, with Excel I can present and summarize the data exactly how I want to see.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:07 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

All I really use is the QFX download (Manually not Auto) from all my accounts, then I check each one to make sure it is legit.

I do like the NW calculation and one account is Canadian, and general end of year reporting of expenditures by category.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:13 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Last fall I spent maybe 10 hours trying to move my Quicken data (thousands of transactions) to MoneyDance. Their import tools are just not robust enough for this. The biggest problem was duplicated transactions, hundreds of them, that had to be spotted and fixed. I finally gave up because I still have a non-subscription Quicken that I can use until the end of this year.

Six months ago, MoneyDance seemed to be the best option and it probably still is. Next fall I am hoping against hope that their import tools will be better, but my expectation is that I will start fresh with them and not try/not be able to bring in my old data. I'll start with them on 1/1/20 so I have the tax year covered.

I did test the MoneyDance brokerage and bank account online update features and they seemed to work OK.

Intuit has always been a slimy company and the guys running the spun-out Quicken are the Intuit crew, so I have no trust. A subscription model decouples the revenue from product upgrades and improvements, so I'm sure the new guys will make lots of money. But not from me.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:17 PM   #7

If a Fidelity user, would Full View be secure enough for you?
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:02 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

I plan to continue to use Quicken Deluxe 2012, just without any of the "online" conveniences. I never used their BillPay as I just use the online bill paying feature of my bank. Once or twice per month I take 20 minutes or so to manually update all of my investment asset prices. In other respects Quicken performs for me as it always has. I plan to continue to operate like this "manually" using Quicken because it isn't far removed from how I've always used Quicken.

Lumpy
Uncle Lumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:16 PM   #9

GnuCash is free, multi-platform and open-source.

It seems to work for logging and categorizing transactions and reconciling statements.

It is more of a true double-entry accounting system than quicken.

On the other hand, it did have some lacking features when I tried it such as calculating IRR figures to calculate returns on portfolios.

I think there may be extensions written by third parties to provide this.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:19 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Lumpy View Post
I plan to continue to use Quicken Deluxe 2012, just without any of the "online" conveniences. I never used their BillPay as I just use the online bill paying feature of my bank. Once or twice per month I take 20 minutes or so to manually update all of my investment asset prices. In other respects Quicken performs for me as it always has. I plan to continue to operate like this "manually" using Quicken because it isn't far removed from how I've always used Quicken.

Lumpy
How do you get transactions from your accounts? Do you do it manually?
Old 03-23-2019, 04:20 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
GnuCash is free, multi-platform and open-source.

It seems to work for logging and categorizing transactions and reconciling statements.

It is more of a true double-entry accounting system than quicken.

On the other hand, it did have some lacking features when I tried it such as calculating IRR figures to calculate returns on portfolios.

I think there may be extensions written by third parties to provide this.
Can you Xfer your accounts form Quicken (QFX)?
Old 03-23-2019, 04:20 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

We continue to use Quicken 2006. We don't use billpay, we don't download transactions, we do use it as a long term record of our spending and deposits. I'm sure there are some advances in newer versions, but this has worked for us through many rental buildings, lots of property loans, lots of credit cards and banks and multiple accounts and properties. It gets daily use. No real need to fix what isn't broken - so can you find a Quicken version that won't die in 2020?
Old 03-23-2019, 04:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Can you Xfer your accounts form Quicken (QFX)?
Memory is vague on this, but I think I was able to figure out a conversion path -- at least for bank accounts.

I was coming from Quicken 98, however.

There is still no threat of Quicken 98 going to any type of subscription model, so you may also wish to have a look at the old stuff.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:47 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

My current license for Quicken will expire in 2020. It was until recently on “subscription” but you can turn off that auto-renewal, just like you can with something like Netflix.

Unless something drastic/unexpected happens, in 2020 I’ll look for the best current price and purchase a new license.

When I compare the cost to my hourly salary while working, it doesn’t seem to justify spending hours of my time to create some workaround.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:01 PM   #15

For $30/yr (or less) I'm sticking with Quicken. Life's too short to deal with half solutions and try to covert years of data and jump through various hoops and then find that support is lacking in whatever your next application is. Penny wise and pound foolish.

If I were to deal with something, I'd look seriously at the sunset version of Microsoft Money. It's free and pretty decent. But, for me, if I waste an hour trying to convert to something just to save $30/yr, I've wasted too much time. [emoji3]
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:09 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

+1 with steelyman.... I have Quicken 2017 and the automatic import functionality will sunset on April 30, 2020.

I use GnuCash for our lake associations books and it is ok as a simple double entry bookeeping system... and it is free... but Quicken is much better IMO. I recently checked out Moneyspire but the lack of investment tracking would be an issue for me.

I may look at MoneyDance, but given the utility that I get out of Quicken $2.92/month for a 24 month subscription isn't a horrible price to pay.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:24 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I personally use the subscription version of YNAB. I understand you don't want to use cloud based which is fine. But, it might make a difference if there was a cloud based solution where there was no secure data stored in it. I personally manually enter transactions. Outside of YNAB I download transactions from one account to OFX and then just drag the data into YNAB. For me the only data that I store in YNAB cloud is my account transactions. I do not use their direct download abilities unlike how it is done with Quicken (I did try out Quicken recently). In fact, if I had my bank account in X bank, I could in YNAB name the account something like Checking and if someone somehow got access to my YNAB data they wouldn't even know where I had my account.

For me since I don't store anything in YNAB that could give anyone access to any of my accounts (I don't put in account numbers, etc.). Basically to someone getting access to YNAB they would have the equivalent of my check register without any information about where the account was. So that doesn't bother me. If it did bother me then I would create my own Excel spreadsheet and just manually enter the data.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:47 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
How do you get transactions from your accounts? Do you do it manually?

I manually balance things at the end of the month (or when I download the PDFs of the credit card statements). It only takes a couple of minutes per account and I feel "closer" to the data so as to notice any abnormalities. I've never used the automatic download of account data feature in Quicken even when my Quicken versions had that capability. I didn't like the idea of Intuit having the information necessary to access my accounts--I've always been a little paranoid in that way.

Lumpy
Uncle Lumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:54 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Old School - Still using MS Money. I manually download all my transactions in Quicken format. I use it just to track my expenses. This link talks about some alternatives, and a few already mentioned here in this thread : https://www.thebalance.com/when-repl...-money-1293812
rpguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:21 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Lumpy View Post
I manually balance things at the end of the month (or when I download the PDFs of the credit card statements). It only takes a couple of minutes per account and I feel "closer" to the data so as to notice any abnormalities. I've never used the automatic download of account data feature in Quicken even when my Quicken versions had that capability. I didn't like the idea of Intuit having the information necessary to access my accounts--I've always been a little paranoid in that way.
This sounds much like my philosophy and approach as well. Beginning this year I switched from Quicken 2007 to the current (subscription) version, though I don't use any online connected features. I even use Little Snitch (an enhanced firewall) to make sure Quicken (or anything else) doesn't make any outside connection or "phone home" unless I allow it.

If I do decide to stop my Quicken subscription for some reason, I will still be able to continue my last version for a significant time since an inactive subscription only disables online features not local ones.