Join Early Retirement Today

What is the best FIRE Podcast out there?
Old 10-16-2011, 04:51 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What is the best FIRE Podcast out there?

Having wasted a fair amount of time previewing podcasts about FIRE and Retirement lifestyle issues, I have found most to be either far too basic, or (most typically) really selling something or someones newsletter, etc.
Anyone have any suggestions for something meaningful that is worth our time?

SM

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm guessing that the answer is "No".

Podcasts require more effort than a written blog post, and the PF bloggers who do podcasts are generally seeking revenue for their efforts. This may be an area of Internet info where you get what you pay for.

The only FIRE-related podcast I know of was this board's creator (Dory36) doing an audio interview with Bob Clyatt in his 2nd edition of "Work Less Live More". It was part of the "free" CD included with the book.

Have you tried podcasts of radio shows, whether they're broadcast or over the Internet?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The podcast offerings of the Commonwealth Club (Bay area) are top notch. They rarely address personal financial issues directly but their presenters are prominent in their fields.

Audio | Commonwealth Club

iTunes - Podcasts - Commonwealth Club Radio Program by Commonwealth Club of California
Old 10-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hey, Nords, is there a way to get that podcast if you have a first edition?
Old 10-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
The podcast offerings of the Commonwealth Club (Bay area) are top notch. They rarely address personal financial issues directly but their presenters are prominent in their fields.

Audio | Commonwealth Club

iTunes - Podcasts - Commonwealth Club Radio Program by Commonwealth Club of California
Thanks for the response but after sampling Commonwealth is clear that is a NPR style political show, not my style. Looking for the Financial FIRE shows without politics.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I didn't promise that you would find your golden key with their offerings (which are in the 100s) but "Political"? The only radio stations that broadcast speeches that I know of are NPR type. Is that bad?

Almost are presenters leading Silicon Valley/National professionals or business people. They have a world view such as "India and China in the World Economy and Why That Matters"; General Stéphane Abrial, NATO Strategic Command: Defense in an Age of Austerity (upcoming); Shannon Brownlee: Avoiding Unnecessary Medical Treatment (recent subject on this board in response to Nord's concerns); there are a couple on managing longevity issues, several on bio science, I recall one discussing factors venture capital firms look for when considering funding.

The "Buckets" financial planner wants to sell his products, there is the 'get out of debt guru. Otherwise you may need to go to your local library to see if there are financial books on CDs, or read a book.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
The only radio stations that broadcast speeches that I know of are NPR type. Is that bad?

Brat, yes it is bad, lots of opinions leaning way left. But thanks anyway for taking the time to respond.

Looking for pure financial without the politics, like much of the ER Forum!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I enjoy hearing all points of view.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM View Post
Brat, yes it is bad, lots of opinions leaning way left. But thanks anyway for taking the time to respond.

I like left. INTJ. Lefthanded. Born in SW Washington.

Need I say more.

heh heh heh - Thanks for the link Brat.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Not exactly financial, but I used to like listening to podcasts of the Dave Ramsey show at the gym. "I'M DEBT FREE!" injects quite a bit of energy into one's workout.

Vanguard has some financial podcasts. They aren't as energetic, though.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Also not totally on point but I sometimes enjoy Clark Howard's podcasts (and they are free). Don't always agree with Clark, but do a lot of the time.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Having wasted a fair amount of time previewing podcasts about FIRE and Retirement lifestyle issues, I have found most to be either far too basic, or (most typically) really selling something or someones newsletter, etc.

SM
Nothing to do with ER, but these are the best podcasts ever if you have an inquiring mind. They kept me company on a long bike ride in Iceland.

BBC - Podcasts - In Our Time With Melvyn Bragg
Old 10-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

The BBC have plenty of podcasts about financial stuff.
BBC - Podcasts

NPR's Planet Money is a lot of fun as well, although not about retirement I always learn something:
NPR: Planet Money Podcast : NPR Podcasts

I also listen regularly to "Morning Ireland" from RTE Radio 1 because it regularly covers the European countries in a way that the US sort of glosses over.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I have never thought of ER planning as a political matter. Whatever our political values we must earn more than we spend and invest the remainder. How to invest to achieve the greatest return is well discussed in financial books. The major risk is the unexpected. There are always risks, a wise person sets aside reserves to address known risks.

Podcasts such as those offerd by the Commonwealth Club offer insight as to what may be comming our way technologicaly and the choices that must be made economically. I find them interesting and many of their presenters fascinating. I am enough 'in' to know that there is a human element to much that happens but their focus is on the future.

There are those who derisively referr to the west coast as the 'left coast'. All I can say is that business within 500 miles of the Pacific Ocean is driving much of our economy. Forget the politics, look at results. We need to invest in our technology and creative minds. If we don't there are graduates IIT who will eat our lunch. Unlike the Chinese they are creative, many Indian technology leaders graduated from American universities. Not only that but their inventors focus on what is needed in the developing world.

Sorry folks, but the universe is not flat and it does not revolve around the Earth, let alone the USA.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMac View Post
The BBC have plenty of podcasts about financial stuff.
BBC - Podcasts

NPR's Planet Money is a lot of fun as well, although not about retirement I always learn something:
NPR: Planet Money Podcast : NPR Podcasts

I also listen regularly to "Morning Ireland" from RTE Radio 1 because it regularly covers the European countries in a way that the US sort of glosses over.
The BBC money programs are obviously geared towards a UK audience and the investing/retirement environment over there is completely different. The default for pension income is to buy an annuity and very few people use brokers or actively buy individual mutual funds to construct a portfolio so there's no concept of asset allocation in the general public.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:36 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

Do you like Bob Brinker? He is on AM radio Sat and Sun but you can get his 3 hour shows without most of the ads for $4.95 a month. He does sell his newsletter though.
Hope it helps,
Liz
Old 10-18-2011, 05:32 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Not exactly financial, but I used to like listening to podcasts of the Dave Ramsey show at the gym. "I'M DEBT FREE!" injects quite a bit of energy into one's workout.

That's funny -- I listen to Dave Ramsey at the gym, too! I don't agree with most of his politics or the particular worldview that they are rooted in, but I totally love the "get yourself out of debt and start living a real life" message. And even though we have never had debt, I find those "we're debt free!" calls to be really inspiring. Makes me feel like there is hope for people out there, and our country, when you hear the stories of how people have turned around their financial fate.

I also really like Planet Money. Marketplace is good, too, for basic finance and economic news.

Maybe somebody needs to start an ER-oriented podcast. Seems like there might be a market for it.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamo View Post
Maybe somebody needs to start an ER-oriented podcast. Seems like there might be a market for it.
Lemme get this straight: a "podcast" consists of someone reading a blog post's transcript into a microphone to make it an audio file that someone else eventually downloads and listens to.

Is that it?

How much are people willing to pay for this?

Serious question, because I can pass this over to a private forum of personal-finance bloggers who are trying to make a living at it.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #19

I don't know about any specifically FIRE related podcasts, but I listen to and love
Freakonomics, The Economist, Brian Preston's "Money Guy", and NPR + WSJ daily podcasts, which are mostly about money.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Lemme get this straight: a "podcast" consists of someone reading a blog post's transcript into a microphone to make it an audio file that someone else eventually downloads and listens to.

Is that it?

How much are people willing to pay for this?

Serious question, because I can pass this over to a private forum of personal-finance bloggers who are trying to make a living at it.
Sometimes the delivery method matters. I can easily listen to an audio/podcast, but I can't easily read a blog while I'm on an elliptical trainer at the gym.

Tags
fire, lifestyle, podcasts