Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-24-2008, 08:46 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I keep coming back to this one but not as cheap as some mentioned here. About $9 for a 1.5l bottle. Pretty good though. I have not tried the Oak Leaf one from Walmart. For $3, I will give it a try.

Livingston Cellars - Red Wine

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2008, 09:30 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
I'd vote for Two Buck Chuck.
Seconded. But it is three buck chuck here on the right coast.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:05 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Mondavi Private something or other Reisling is a favorite in this house and it's on sale at Kroger for $8 this week I think.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Peter Vella Merlo on sale for $7.99. It's actually pretty smooth. I only drink maybe a glass a week, so I need something that won't go bad quickly.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
Peter Vella Merlo on sale for $7.99. It's actually pretty smooth. I only drink maybe a glass a week, so I need something that won't go bad quickly.
People who drink wine very sparingly might be better off with wine in a box. Because of the packaging, wine in a box is likely to stay fresh for a longer period of time than wine in a bottle (the wine is usually in a vacuum-packed foil pouch which doesn't oxidize much when "opened" compared to an opened bottle of wine, and oxidation is an enemy of wine preservation.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:53 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
People who drink wine very sparingly might be better off with wine in a box. Because of the packaging, wine in a box is likely to stay fresh for a longer period of time than wine in a bottle (the wine is usually in a vacuum-packed foil pouch which doesn't oxidize much when "opened" compared to an opened bottle of wine, and oxidation is an enemy of wine preservation.
Sparingly? Surely you gest.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfade View Post
Franzia Chillable Red ... 5 liter box ~$9.00 at Sam's or Walmart.
There is a 5 liter box but I've never seen it at Sam's, Walmart or Costco. My daughter gets the 5 liter boxes at McDill Air Force Base. That's the only place I've seen it around here. The boxed brands are getting more popular because you can sit them on the shelf in the fridge and open the spigot. Quite handy.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

The challenge with the boxes is the drip, drip,drip from the spout.

Also, the bottle is a kind of natural limit. It only holds so much, whereas the box.....
Old 12-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #29
Confused about dryer sheets

We like Lindeman Chard....small bottle $5 and change...big bottle $10 at your local big box retailer. It's the house wine at Outback and is better than wines that are 2-4 bucks more IOHO.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:02 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

During the past year or so our closest supermarket expanded their wine selection by a rather large amount (3X) and ever since that time they have maneged to have a different wine or wines on sale at prices ranging between $10-$5. We always pick up a bottle of whatever is on sale. I realize that this is akin to letting someone else select your beverage but we have yet to be disappointed in the character and taste of each weekly selection. This has give us an exposure to many different wine labels that we otherwise may not have sampled at all. More is better.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:50 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

PArticularly when camping (and space is at a premium) we buy 3 liter boxes of wine. Of the cheaper ones, I think the Banrock Station wines are probably the best bang for the buck. Generally under $20 for the equivalent of 4 bottles. We like the Chard and the Shiraz the best.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Forestville Merlot or Cabernet is usually $3.50 at Safeway. Buy six and you get 10% off, so $3.15.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:12 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

We specialize in $5 wines. Sometimes we'll splurge and go for a $7 bottle. This Christmas we're trying out a $14 Cabernet. Yowzah!

Here are our faves:

Viogner: Honeymoon (a Trader Joe's label, $4.99/bottle here)
Table Red: Prosperity Red (a cab/merlot blend, $6/ bottle here)
Bubbly: Korbel blanc de noir (about $8 / bottle)

In the $14 range, we've been pleased with the Castoro Cellars Paso Robles Zinfandel.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #34

La Ferme Julien rouge at traders joe's is pretty good for a table red
it's about 5.00 a bottle
Old 12-24-2008, 10:56 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm going to try them all except the box wines, I think. It took me a long while to be reconciled to the screw tops- so I will draw the line there- I think one has to maintain a little snob appeal about SOMETHING.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:51 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
I'm going to try them all except the box wines, I think. It took me a long while to be reconciled to the screw tops- so I will draw the line there- I think one has to maintain a little snob appeal about SOMETHING.
I agree! Only the best screw tops for me.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:30 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
I was skeptical about screw tops too. However, on a winery tour where they didn't use screw tops I asked about them. The tour guide said the new screw tops were better than corks but there is a reluctance to use them by American wineries because of the perception of poor quality. They seal better when new and can reliably reseal if one ever did that.

We like Oak Vineyanrds (~$4) and Fisheye Chardonnay (~$5). I can't remember the reds I like and I'm too lazy to go look -- maybe later. I've never met a malbec I didn't like. There are some good $6 ones out there. I'm using Texas prices. Some places (like Missouri) are about the same and some states are much higher. It's a tax issue mostly.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:25 AM   #38

We get Two Buck Chuck. That's the only kind we get.... by the case.

tmm
Old 12-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #39

Columbia Crest...white or red. NOT the special edition. My wife swears by it, and really likes the white. Sticking up for a WA wine here....$7.50 where I get it.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #40

i don't know wines and hardly ever drink them as they make me sleepy but years ago i used to enjoy a zinfandel from sutter home. very cheap, supermarket stuff that sounds like a condominium developer but i thought it was pretty good. certainly better than the boonesfarm i guzzled in youth.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote