Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-25-2008, 09:50 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
i don't know wines and hardly ever drink them as they make me sleepy but years ago i used to enjoy a zinfandel from sutter home. very cheap, supermarket stuff that sounds like a condominium developer but i thought it was pretty good. certainly better than the boonesfarm i guzzled in youth.
Bali Hai
Ripple
?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2008, 08:58 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here are some of my favorites, under $10 . . .

Red:
"Marco Real" - Tempranillo/Narvara (Spain) . . . . $7.99
"Ona" - Carbernet Sauvignon (Chile) . . . $8.99
"Panarroz" - ?? - (Spain) . . . $6.49
"Makepeace" - Shiraz (Australia) . . . . $5.99
"Castle Rock" - Cabernet Sauvingnon (California) . . . . $7.99
"1919" - Syrah (Argentina) . . . $8.99
"Milton Clark" - Shiraz (Australia) . . . $7.99
"Chateau Guillaumette - Bordeaux (France) . . . $10.99

White:
"No" - Sauvignon Blanc . . . $8.99
"1919" - Chardonnay (Argentina) . . . . $8.99
"Huntington" - Chardonnay (California) . . . $12.99 (more than $10 but if you like "French Style" unoaked chardonnay's this one kicks @$$ for $13
"Masterpeace" - Chardonnay (Australia) . . . $5.99
"Campagnola" - Pinot Grigio (Italy) . . . .$7.99

Old 12-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Another thought: If you live near a heavily ethnic neighborhood that is from a wine-producing place, go look at what is in the local liquor stores. I live near a heavily Portuguese area and when I pop into certain stores I know that I can buy really nice Portuguese wines (that I may never have heard of before) for very little money. One of the better scores thus far was a 1 liter bottle of a really lovely red for $5.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:44 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I recently started buying boxed wines - a 5 liter box of Franzia goes for about $13, and it's not bad stuff.

But I still can't get over the feeling that I should be wearing a disguise when I walk past aisles and aisles of fine wines and head straight for the boxed wines at the back of the store.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I'm not crazy about Franzia but Corbett Canyon chardonnay in a box is okay .
Old 12-26-2008, 03:48 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

I go with the liquor store guy's recommendation for a good wine (he even asked me how the steak would be cooked before making a recommendation once) and then get whatever cheapie is on sale for the second bottle as my tastebuds are good only for the first glass.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
I recently started buying boxed wines - a 5 liter box of Franzia goes for about $13, and it's not bad stuff.

But I still can't get over the feeling that I should be wearing a disguise when I walk past aisles and aisles of fine wines and head straight for the boxed wines at the back of the store.
You'll get over it.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:25 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post

You should be. If I decide to try the boxed wines I will wear a disguise when I buy it, maybe even when I drink it to fool myself that I am really not doing it.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:06 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Vinturi Wine Aerator

Anyone try one of these?

I was thinking if it works; maybe just opening the bottle and shaking it a bit might work also.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:17 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
You should be. If I decide to try the boxed wines I will wear a disguise when I buy it, maybe even when I drink it to fool myself that I am really not doing it.
Well, put your disguise on, and give it a try - you might be pleasantly surprised!
Old 12-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
I'd vote for Two Buck Chuck. See attached.

snopes.com: Charles Shaw Wine
I always drank this. Then recently I noticed it smells a little like antifreeze, so I have to make a change.

Quote:
Vinturi Wine Aerator

Anyone try one of these?

I was thinking if it works; maybe just opening the bottle and shaking it a bit might work also
I decant a bottle into a wide mouth quart jar, then pour it back and forth into another quart jar for 10 full cycles. If this doesn't aerate it nothing will. I think it helps a bit, but the effect is marginal.

Ha
Old 12-30-2008, 08:21 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

If you drink some anti freeze first, then the two buck chuck, the effect is not as pronounced.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:56 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Very funny.

But I will try to detect the scent of antifreeze the next time I open one of these Three-Buck Chuck ($2.99 here in AZ).

Recently, I detected the scent of used socks in another brand, but it could just be my imagination.

Anyway, the referenced links talk about "wine glut". This is happening in Europe ("lac du vin" or "wine lake"), specifically France, Italy, and Spain. Also Australia, New Zealand, and South America. The EU has had to buy cheaper wines to distill into ethanol for cars! They paid something like a dime or a quarter for a liter.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:34 PM   #54
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here are some choices for the serious wine drinker

Of the ones listed I only can attest to MD 20/20 by Mogen David.
Often called Mad Dog 20-20 - " As majestic as the cascading waters of a drain pipe,"

Old 12-31-2008, 11:00 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Gallo Paisano made me the sickest I ever got in college.

Pommerelle Loganberry wine and Rainer beer was good for a steady buzz but has since faded into history.

heh heh heh -
Old 01-01-2009, 06:54 AM   #56
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Gallo Paisano made me the sickest I ever got in college.

Pommerelle Loganberry wine and Rainer beer was good for a steady buzz but has since faded into history.

heh heh heh -
I remember the frequent "tours" of the Rainier brewery in Seattle during college. Free beer and not too worried about being over 21 were a great combination for college kids.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Free beer and not too worried about being over 21 were a great combination for college kids.
Maybe once upon a time, but I think the "not worried about being over 21" part is from a bygone era. People can be old enough to die for their country and old enough to vote, and they can't even have a beer legally...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I always drank this. Then recently I noticed it smells a little like antifreeze, so I have to make a change.

Ha
Smelling anti-freeze in $2Chuck might be an early sign of a brain tumor.....

or maybe Chuck causes brain tumors which in turn help you smell the anti-freeze.....