Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What IS the Norweigan Widow anyway?
Old 10-01-2005, 10:13 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Didn't NW Missouri have a massive earthquake about 200 yrs ago?
Sure, he just made it through a hurricane, and you have to warn him of the next disaster.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2005, 11:27 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hush Mandythebeagle.* All we have to keep the hordes at bay is rain, burping mountains and a twitch or two.* Once folks realize that it rains, they swelter in the summer, that they have tornados and earthquakes in MO, how are we to keep this place to our selves?*

Old 10-02-2005, 08:38 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey, Uncle Mick!

It's an honor to meet you! I was so sorry to hear about your house and belongings, but was also very thankful when you reappeared on this board afterwards. Many of us were very concerned about you. Glad you made it relatively unscathed (at least in spirit). I have family in Missouri (STL) and know how friendly everyone is out there. I hope that you all settle in well in your new home.

Getting back to investing ..... I like the idea of hanging out at my mailbox for money!! Don't want to have to kill off my DH in order to do so tho! I looked on Vanguards site at the Life Strategy moderate - 70/30 yet you get 3.5 - 5% in income - not bad!

I will also watch out for expenses, commissions, etc., as I can see that is (along with taxes) whoops one area we do have control over. Thanks for your help and explanation - it really sounds like a K.I.S.S. plan, which is what I need!

Wab & Brat -
Thanks for the TIPS and I-bonds info. I am going to have to do a lot of homework over this winter!

Thanks again everyone!

Jane
Old 10-02-2005, 04:54 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Brewer is THE expert in this area but I will share with you some of the differences I have identified.
regarding differences between TIPS and I-bonds, one thing that I don't recall being mentioned here is that I-bonds are hedged against deflation as well (the principal never goes below the purchase price even in the event of deflation) whereas TIPS principals could conceivably drop in a deflationary period.

Hopefully, not a distinction that will become meaningful, but who knows?
Old 10-02-2005, 05:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
I-bonds are hedged against deflation as well (the principal never goes below the purchase price even in the event of deflation) whereas TIPS principals could conceivably drop in a deflationary period.
From the TIPS FAQ:

What happens to TIPS if deflation occurs?

The principal is adjusted downward, and your interest payments are less than they would be if inflation occurred or if the Consumer Price Index remained the same. You have this safeguard: at maturity, if the adjusted principal is less than the security's original principal, you are paid the original principal.

Old 10-02-2005, 09:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Hush Mandythebeagle. All we have to keep the hordes at bay is rain, burping mountains and a twitch or two. Once folks realize that it rains, they swelter in the summer, that they have tornados and earthquakes in MO, how are we to keep this place to our selves?
We have something similar in Northern Wisconsin. Just warn folks of the potential for frostbite and that keeps them away. And the summer months are spent cutting wood for the upcoming winter.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:03 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabmester
From the TIPS FAQ:

What happens to TIPS if deflation occurs?

The principal is adjusted downward, and your interest payments are less than they would be if inflation occurred or if the Consumer Price Index remained the same. You have this safeguard: at maturity, if the adjusted principal is less than the security's original principal, you are paid the original principal.

Quote:
Series I bonds are the inflation-adjusted version of the savings bond. The difference between them and TIPS is that the Treasury factors inflation into the interest rate instead of the principal. The adjustments are made every May and November.
from http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/sav/20021018a.asp

therefore, if you both types of bonds to maturity it doesn't matter. But TIPS principal prior to maturity, during deflation will decline, although you will be paid back the nominal value if you hold until maturity.

from http://www.fool.com/retirement/retir...port000626.htm

Quote:
Like TIPS, I Bonds enjoy inflation-protected earnings that guarantee a real rate of return over and above the inflation rate. In the case of deflation, wherein the decline in the CPI-U exceeds the fixed rate of return on the I Bonds, the redemption value (i.e., original purchase price plus accumulated monthly earnings) does not decline but remains the same. While TIPS may fluctuate in market value based on interest rate and inflation index changes, the redemption value of I Bonds is always known and readily determinable.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
I did it, and I don't think I would have used common stocks even if I had been a
lot younger.* Maybe.* *We'll never know now.* Most of the older
retirees I know (older than me - where I have a sense of their
finances) still have stocks in their portfolio.* I think I sense
(very small sample group) stock avoidance tendencies* in people who went through the Depression, and heavy stock investment by younger "traditional age" retirees
who hire or listen to financial planners and their ilk.*

JG
Now this is interesting. One of the guys I had in mind
(retired dentist, 68) e-mailed me today to say he was
unhappy with his big name financial management firm and has
dumped them. For now he eschews stocks and is 100%
MM/CDs and bonds. Guess he read John Galt's guide to
retirement finances.

JG