Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
We have a perfectly good library right down the street...

There's a new one 4 times the size going up right next to it

My property tax bill just keeps going up too
Our library millage is TWICE that of our fire and police protection. One more time of sneaking those millage propsals into the May elections.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Illinois was mentioned earlier. Did everyone notice the new administration just increased state income tax from 3% to 5%? May not sound like much but it's a 67% increase, $1K/yr for someone making $50K/yr - yowza! Glad I don't live in IL...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Illinois was mentioned earlier. Did everyone notice the new administration just increased state income tax from 3% to 5%? May not sound like much but it's a 67% increase, $1K/yr for someone making $50K/yr - yowza! Glad I don't live in IL...

Just curious since your location is listed as Chicagoland, any chance Chicago will do a similar thing as NYC and start collecting income tax for people who work in Chicago but live in another city/state?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Just curious since your location is listed as Chicagoland, any chance Chicago will do a similar thing as NYC and start collecting income tax for people who work in Chicago but live in another city/state?
Denver has had this for years (25+?). They call it an "Occupational Privilege Tax."

http://www.denvergov.org/Treasury/Fr...2/Default.aspx
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Denver has had this for years (25+?). They call it an "Occupational Privilege Tax."

Treasury Division - Frquently Asked Questions
I learn something on the forum most every day. I love the name occupational privilege, although at $5.75/month it is hardly worth getting too riled up about.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I learn something on the forum most every day. I love the name occupational privilege, although at $5.75/month it is hardly worth getting too riled up about.
Yeah, but a lot of people did... and still do.

In the beginning, they tried a "live or work" in Denver approach... and was successful for quite a while IIRC.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Yeah, but a lot of people did... and still do.

In the beginning, they tried a "live or work" in Denver approach... and was successful for quite a while IIRC.

One of the things that people tend to forget is that if you work in downtown Whereever... then that city does provide you with services... they clean the streets, provide police, provide utilities (street lights, traffic lights)... etc. etc... since you are using these services it seem fair to tax the people who use them...
Old 01-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #68

Texas Proud,
I disagree, the cities are getting big bucks for everyone of those downtown buildings in the way of property tax. It should more than pay for the street sweeper to make it's once a year venture down the street. As has been said many times here and elsewhere, it's not the taxes that are killing the cities, it is the spending, and no politician has shown any real husspa to control it.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud

One of the things that people tend to forget is that if you work in downtown Whereever... then that city does provide you with services... they clean the streets, provide police, provide utilities (street lights, traffic lights)... etc. etc... since you are using these services it seem fair to tax the people who use them...
And the parking tax,taxi tax, and 10% tax on everything I buy in the city is not enough?
Old 01-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

This is like Deja Vu all over again.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #71
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Even neighborhoods with low levels of library users (eg. Northgate) have huge fancy new buildings. Nice surroundings for the staff, but of no interest to the primary purpose of a library.

Eventually all these buildings, the good ones and the detestable, will be obsolete and replaced by Kindle type readers and electronic access. Then the street pople, ERs and people trying to get out of the rain will have to find another solution.

Ha
I disagree. The parish (county) that I was planning on living (i.e., before my Chapter 7 filing forced to buy in a much lower cost area ) just recently built a set of nice modern libraries. These are buildings that exude a warm and stately feeling, which adds to the intellectual stimulation for the patrons. Perhaps the buildings themselves will be the deciding factor in whether or not some little boy would rather read or not, and in that sense it is worth the public spending.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Smart move. Its neighbor Wisconsin has even higher rates.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Illinois is one extreme; all tax increases and no spending cuts. But I'd still rather live in IL with a 67% tax increase than in Camden, NJ. Camden was already one of the most dangerous cities in the U.S., and they just recently announced a 44% reduction in their police force to close budget gaps.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:24 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Texas is a fairly conservative, low-tax state, and we have the numbers to prove it... And has managed to run a pretty hefty deficit of late. I'm tripping cautiously optimistic that our molasses-like economy will continue to inflate expand, and tax revenues with it, which in turn will make the outlook less gloomy...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:42 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Texas is a fairly conservative, low-tax state, and we have the numbers to prove it... And has managed to run a pretty hefty deficit of late. I'm tripping cautiously optimistic that our molasses-like economy will continue to inflate expand, and tax revenues with it, which in turn will make the outlook less gloomy...
Yeah, it's funny how a tidy looking budget and spending plans go poof when the revenue stream dries up.

That's largely what bit California, combined with legislative gridlock. A nice budget that relied heavily on income tax revenue from high earners, combined with the assumption that the Roaring '90s would go on forever, supplemented by a lovely stream of taxes from non-qualified stock options... Then, toss in optimistic assumptions that a downturn was sure to end within a year, repeat annually, and...
Old 01-22-2011, 04:00 AM   #76

Quote:
(snip) I also would like to say that in Seattle in particular, the library system has been on a huge building jag that in my opinion was largely unnecessary. The downtown monstrosity is truly a monument to hubris and stupidity. I detest even walking by the building, let alone going into it.
In the interest of fairness, I feel I should point out that the library construction was paid for by a 1998 bond issue that passed with a 70% vote. The main library needed to be replaced, but like you, I don't think much of the design of the new building, except that I rather like the idea of putting the stacks on a continuous spiral. ISTM the architect was being weird for the sake of weirdness, and IMO the building seems unlikely to hold up well either artistically or otherwise. The big main revolving door has already had to be replaced (with a regular door) and the building isn't 10 years old yet.

I don't avoid going into itósince I work downtown it's the most convenient branch for picking up a book after workóbut I'll confess there is an escalator inside the building that I do avoid, due to a really repellent artwork alongside it. At the time "Libraries for All" was up for vote, there were some interesting ideas being floated, like putting the main library in the Frederick & Nelson building (they had recently gone out of business) or in the old railroad station at 4th & Jackson. It's too bad the original main library doesn't survive. It looks like you'd get smarter just walking into the place.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Illinois is one extreme; all tax increases and no spending cuts.
DW is a retired public school teacher in Illinois and still a member of her union. On the day after the state legislature passed the tax increase, she received an email from the union where they claimed they'd soon be harvesting a "fair share" of the new revenue for their members as wage increases, benefit increases, etc.

One day they're going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg...........
Old 01-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #78

As a New York State resident, I am not going to weep much for Illinois residents who will be paying 5% (the top rate, I assume, although I don't know at what income level it kicks in at). Here in NYS, the 5% income tax rate kicks in for single filers at $11,000 with a 6.85% rate kicking in at $20k and even higher rates at incomes into 6-figures (although they may be getting sunsetted this year).

New York City had a non-resident income tax, called the "Commuter Tax" which got repealed in 1999. It was 0.45%. The repeal applied to NYS residents who did not live in NYC but I am not sure what happened to out-of-state residents such as those who live in New Jersey or CT. There have been proposals to reinstate the Commuter Tax but the NYS legislature lacks the votes to pass it.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
It's too bad the original main library doesn't survive. It looks like you'd get smarter just walking into the place.
I agree, I loved that building.

But here is my all time favorite library- Los Angeles, downtown branch. I would drive all the way in here from the beach to get into their great stacks, and just to experience the building.

Facade of the Central Branch of the Los Angeles Public Library, Los Angeles

Ha
Old 01-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #80

Quote:
I agree, I loved that building.
Alack, it was already gone by the time I moved to Seattle in 1982. But even if I had lived here all my life I wouldn't remember it. As I discovered when looking in the archives for the photos, it was torn down when I was barely able to walk.

Quote:
But here is my all time favorite library- Los Angeles, downtown branch. I would drive all the way in here from the beach to get into their great stacks, and just to experience the building.

Facade of the Central Branch of the Los Angeles Public Library, Los Angeles

Ha
Yummy! Oh well, at least some of the original branches still survive. I would guess the old Carnegie libraries like Green Lake and Douglass-Truth are on the historic register, so tearing them down was not an option, and I'm glad of it.