What is the probablity that your State Bankrupts?

California has to have you all beat. 15B in the hole the last two years. 20B this year. A trillion in unfunded liabilities. Hard to figure how we'll ever get out of this.

And another good one on North Dakota's booming oil industry...

Oil Industry Booms—in North Dakota - WSJ.com

We need to do a lot more of this here, and Al Gore and the rest of the global warming bunch should be tried for treason;)

Suit Against EPA May Lead to Criminal Prosecution in Climategate | Sex+Metropolis

Agree Completely, I'm old enough to remember the "next ice age" warnings of the mid 70s. The amount of grant money to be had by those screaming global warming has been enough to cause too many so called scientists to abandon science for advocacy.

Eventually all these buildings, the good ones and the detestable, will be obsolete and replaced by Kindle type readers and electronic access. Then the street pople, ERs and people trying to get out of the rain will have to find another solution. :)

I live near the Kirkland ('burb of Seattle) library. The library has on the order of 20 to 30 public-access computers. I'm always amazed every time I walk into the library to see that every single computer is in use. This is doubly surprising to me given that Kirkland is a fairly upscale area. I don't see how a Kindle would satisfy this particular need.

My main use of the library is to read magazines. On my way to the grocery store (I almost always walk to the grocery store) I walk right by the entrance to the library, so it's very convenient for me to go to the library to read magazines. Once again, I don't see how a Kindle would satisfy this particular need of mine. Presumably, I would have to pay to read the magazines on a Kindle, and I probably would just stop reading them if I had to pay.

I'll probably get a Kindle or similar device eventually, but I still haven't figured out precisely which niche in my life the device will fill.

I live near the Kirkland ('burb of Seattle) library. The library has on the order of 20 to 30 public-access computers. I'm always amazed every time I walk into the library to see that every single computer is in use. This is doubly surprising to me given that Kirkland is a fairly upscale area. I don't see how a Kindle would satisfy this particular need.
Dudester, I consider this a low priority use for public funds, and it is also very likely a very inefficient way to get computers into low income people's hands if somebody thinks that is an important goal. Give them vouchers and computer cafes will come roaring back. Remember Speakeasy, down on 2nd Avenue in Belltown? I much more pleasant environment to access a computer, read a paper and drink some espresso. And I bet baristas make much less in wages and benefits that city of Seattle library employees. :)

Ha

Newsweek is not a peer-reviewed journal.

Granted it's not a peer reviewed journal, however, there were well known scientists at the time that wanted to cover the north pole with ash in order to gather heat.

Granted it's not a peer reviewed journal, however, there were well known scientists at the time that wanted to cover the north pole with ash in order to gather heat.

What well known scientists? Where did they state such a solution and where did they state the belief of an ice age? Peer-reviewed primary sources, please; not Newsweek or Time.

What well known scientists? Where did they state such a solution and where did they state the belief of an ice age? Peer-reviewed primary sources, please; not Newsweek or Time.

Unfortunately, for me, I have not saved articles from 35 years ago and cannot recall names. I just remember reading articles in some magazine. It may have been "Popular Science" for all I know. Anyway, I remember being surprised that the person behind the ash on the poles idea was a name I recognized from some well known science magazine. At the time I had subscriptions to "Scientific American", "National Geographic", "Sky and Telescope", and a few others. But, no, I cannot give you what you are asking for. My opinion has not changed re the global warming craze.

Would this administration bail out CA if it goes belly up? From my local view it's a foregone conclusion that we will not be able to get out of this on our own.

BTW, a former employee that I still chat with by phone called me a month or so back and said he got a FTB letter telling him that his wages are going to be garnished due to failure to pay his taxes for the last 5 years. HAHAHAHA, he has not worked for 5 years and now lives in Hawaii.

Desperate, much!

Since you mentioned Newsweek here is their 1975 article. It's amazing how like today this article sounds even though the argument is 180 degrees out of phase.

Attachments

• coolingworld.pdf
    293.9 KB · Views: 17
I looked this up--Missouri postponed highway work because Congress has yet to okay federal highway funding. So maybe this problems isn't really a state issue but a federal one.

Highway funding void puts Missouri projects on hold | KY3 News, Weather, Sports - Springfield, MO | Local News

Well, if we don't have the money, maybe we should cut back some. I asked about the tarp money and that was blown through last year. I would assume all that gas tax money should at least be able to fund maintenance.

How, exactly, would a government entity the size of a State go Bankrupt. Would it stop paying its debts and have a special Court take over the operations? Would the Legislature be required the seek permission before voting or simply be declared null and void.

All in all, this doesn't seem such a bad thing, does it?

On the other hand, it could only invite a whole new infestation of Weasels.

A state may not not be a debtor under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code (i.e. "file bankruptcy" as that term is commonly used). A municipality may be a debtor (a Chapter 9 case) only if specifically authorized by state law (See 11 U.S.C. Sec. 109). The City of Bridgeport, CT tried to file a bankruptcy petition about 19 years ago and, at the urging of the State of CT, was thrown out of court.

I think the short answer is that the state simply stops paying its obligations. To the best of my knowledge, during the Great Depression only one state (Arkansas, I think) defaulted on its General Obligation bonds. There have been no state defaults since. And municipalities rarely default. See this Moody's special report http://www.moodys.com/cust/content/...licy+research/documents/current/102249_rm.pdf which was admittedly published prior to the latest crash, but has some good historical information.

This has many sources including Newsweek and Time but others from the science community as well. I was alive in the 70's and the next "ice age" news was everywhere. Keeps scientists in grants I guess.

YouTube - Global Cooling: The Coming Ice Age

I think the short answer is that the state simply stops paying its obligations. To the best of my knowledge, during the Great Depression only one state (Arkansas, I think) defaulted on its General Obligation bonds. There have been no state defaults since. And municipalities rarely default. See this Moody's special report http://www.moodys.com/cust/content/...licy+research/documents/current/102249_rm.pdf which was admittedly published prior to the latest crash, but has some good historical information.

But what about those many "Chicken Littles" running around screaming "the sky is falling"? Why just this morning I [-]suffered through [/-]read two articles warning that the whole country (the USA, I assume) is "on the verge of -- or on the road to -- bankruptcy." How do they imagine that is possible?

Since you mentioned Newsweek here is their 1975 article. It's amazing how like today this article sounds even though the argument is 180 degrees out of phase.

Newsweek is not a peer reviewed journal. The climate change studies done in the 70s mentioned global warming significantly more than global cooling. Also, Newsweek apologized for the hype of that article. It made good print but it wasn't good science.

This has many sources including Newsweek and Time but others from the science community as well. I was alive in the 70's and the next "ice age" news was everywhere. Keeps scientists in grants I guess.

Time is also not a peer reviewed journal. Further, a youtube video claiming "consensus" is as valuable as quoting a Newsweek article. There was no "consensus," especially since climate change science was in its infancy. From the Damon and Kunen paper, 1976:

"Because of the differential effects of the two major sources of atmospheric pollution, the CO2 greenhouse effect warming trend should first become evident in the Southern Hemisphere."

I know that scientific studies are dismissed in favor of "popular press" but this meta-study has some numbers.

Study debunks 'global cooling' concern of '70s - USATODAY.com

"But Thomas Peterson of the National Climatic Data Center surveyed dozens of peer-reviewed scientific articles from 1965 to 1979 and found that only seven supported global cooling, while 44 predicted warming."

7! to 44! What consensus about global cooling?

PS. Emiliani did say there might be another ice age..."within a few thousand years." :LOL: In fact, he also said in the 70s that there could be “a runaway deglaciation” due to greenhouse warming.

PPS. Hansen's "An Alternative Scenario" is about a huge effort to reduce greenhouse gases. From the abstract,

"The grim "business-as-usual" climate change is avoided in an alternative scenario in which growth of greenhouse gas emissions is slowed in the first quarter of this century, primarily via concerted improvements in energy efficiency"

Excuse me, but what in the devil does this global warming dribble have to do with the op's original post? If you want to argue GW take it to another thread.

"But Thomas Peterson of the National Climatic Data Center surveyed dozens of peer-reviewed scientific articles from 1965 to 1979 and found that only seven supported global cooling, while 44 predicted warming."

Some graphic design « Going on a Bear Hunt

Conspiracy.JPG

Time is also not a peer reviewed journal. Further, a youtube video claiming "consensus" is as valuable as quoting a Newsweek article. There was no "consensus," especially since climate change science was in its infancy. From the Damon and Kunen paper, 1976:

"Because of the differential effects of the two major sources of atmospheric pollution, the CO2 greenhouse effect warming trend should first become evident in the Southern Hemisphere."

I know that scientific studies are dismissed in favor of "popular press" but this meta-study has some numbers.

Study debunks 'global cooling' concern of '70s - USATODAY.com

PS. Emiliani did say there might be another ice age..."within a few thousand years." :LOL: In fact, he also said in the 70s that there could be “a runaway deglaciation” due to greenhouse warming.

PPS. Hansen's "An Alternative Scenario" is about a huge effort to reduce greenhouse gases. From the abstract,

"The grim "business-as-usual" climate change is avoided in an alternative scenario in which growth of greenhouse gas emissions is slowed in the first quarter of this century, primarily via concerted improvements in energy efficiency"

Hey you asked for something other than Time or Newsweek and I found something in about 2 minutes that had other sources. There's no doubt that the earths climate is changing. Always has and always will. There was a mile of ice on top of my house 10,000 years ago so I guess we have been warming since then. Maybe we will get warmer maybe colder, I don't think anyone knows for sure. The question is does it make sense to tax peoples behavior based upon the fact that the earths climate changes. If you ask a politician trying to raise more revenue I'm sure he would say, yes!

Well, if we don't have the money, maybe we should cut back some. I asked about the tarp money and that was blown through last year. I would assume all that gas tax money should at least be able to fund maintenance.
Huh? Most of the banks have paid back their TARP money. What do you mean "blown"?

Audrey

But what about those many "Chicken Littles" running around screaming "the sky is falling"? Why just this morning I [-]suffered through [/-]read two articles warning that the whole country (the USA, I assume) is "on the verge of -- or on the road to -- bankruptcy." How do they imagine that is possible?
They don't have to explain how it is possible and I suspect they don't care either. They only need to get people fired up to sell newspapers/magazines.

Audrey

I seemed to have missed something. How did this thread go from State bankruptcy to global warming?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom