Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So, without a second thought, add something from my wish list on Amazon so to get to the $35 free shipping threashold.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #42

All of the above. Mostly having options.

Oh, about people who just stand there apparently thinking "Should I block this aisle or go over there and block that one?"

Quote:
I don’t get it. They just stand there. Maybe their cart is stuck in gum. Maybe they have short-circuited and just shut down. Maybe they are self-centered jerks who don’t care they are blocking everyone behind them. Whatever the case, I hate them.
No sure if this should go in the "Pet Peeve" thread or "What Laws Do You Think Should be Broken?" thread. But those people should be taken out and put in stocks. And not the financial kind.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For me it is a safety net for when things go wrong .
Old 11-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Those folks don't bother me; but put them in the stocks next to the stocks holding bad people who sit there on the circuit weight machines, twiddling their toys or just staring into space, and I'll help you throw rotten tomatoes at them.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
All of the above. Mostly having options.

Oh, about people who just stand there apparently thinking "Should I block this aisle or go over there and block that one?"

No sure if this should go in the "Pet Peeve" thread or "What Laws Do You Think Should be Broken?" thread. But those people should be taken out and put in stocks. And not the financial kind.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Peace of mind for the future
Old 11-18-2014, 08:22 PM   #46

I can remember overhearing my parents talking about a neighbor that had run out of money in retirement and was deeply in debt. Scared the heck out of me that "they" could sell all your possessions and take you home to settle your debts. Scared of what could happened to me if I didn't save.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I was convinced this was a post from imoldernu, until I saw that it had been posted by Ha. Quite a shock to the old system to see a post from Ha, written in a style that is not the norm for him.
I too thought this was imoldernu and when I saw it was HaHa I assumed that Anonymous hacked his account.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #47

It all comes down to one word for me... security.

I'm on track to be able to switch to early semi retirement sometime in my 40s using just my taxable investments, but that's not my main goal. The goal is to have that as an option, not necessarily to actually do it.

I work in IT which can be a difficult industry to stay in long term. I have always been paranoid about layoffs, job being outsourced, job being made obsolete through technology changes, etc...

Then there is the added stress from the work itself. I could walk into work one day and have some kind of catastrophe happen to an important server and for whatever reason not be able to fix the problem. That could be the end of my employment.

If you don't work in IT then you have no idea how precarious it sometimes feels keeping things working... Higher ups don't understand nor appreciate the importance of the work. To them spending money on IT is like throwing it down a rat hole. So you never have enough money to do things properly. Sometimes you have be like MacGyver... keeping crap running with duct tape.

I sometimes wonder/hope that places like Vanuguard, where I have almost half a million in assets, do not run their IT environment as underfunded/unappreciated as most companies seem to do...
Old 11-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
The purpose to me was to be able to sing this little ditty walking away from work on the last day:

"I'm Free!" is what I shouted out when I entered my apartment after my last trip home on the trains from work. I nearly broke down and cried on that final trip home so I needed a release after that last commute.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:29 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRwannabe View Post

If you don't work in IT then you have no idea how precarious it sometimes feels keeping things working... Higher ups don't understand nor appreciate the importance of the work. To them spending money on IT is like throwing it down a rat hole. So you never have enough money to do things properly. Sometimes you have be like MacGyver... keeping crap running with duct tape.

I sometimes wonder/hope that places like Vanuguard, where I have almost half a million in assets, do not run their IT environment as underfunded/unappreciated as most companies seem to do...
OK, now I'm worried...really worried.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:41 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRwannabe View Post
If you don't work in IT then you have no idea how precarious it sometimes feels keeping things working...
IT is definitely not the place from years ago. Way too much imported labor, and the imported labor is up to date on newer technologies, and is using it regularly. You cannot compete with someone who is being paid in something other than money, the ability to become a US citizen.

Even if you train for new skills, the experience using them is not easy to come by, unless you switch jobs. You can advance, to a systems or applications architect, or management, but there are not as many of those jobs out there either.

I am an IT guy. Being FI is a great way to not worry about that anymore. I pity the new workers of America.

I can sense that at some point, these new workers of America, from all the lower wage occupations, will rise up and switch our form of Government forever.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:15 AM   #51

What Ha said +1
Peace
Old 11-19-2014, 08:18 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
LOL! I often felt like this...but as the stash is growing over time, I've found myself to be ever-so-slightly more liberal with my expenditures.
This is where many people get into trouble - loosening the purse strings can be a slippery slope. One day you're frugal, the next you're wondering how you managed to spend double (or even triple!) your SWR. The key is to justify every additional purchase - not against the "need vs. want" formula - but rather - "will this improve the quality of my life?" Note, this formula uses the words *my life*, not the lives of others. Granted, there is nothing wrong with wanting to improve the lives of others, but doing so requires that you ask yourself one more question - "why can't they do it on their own?" This may sound selfish, but it's not because you don't want to enable or reward poor life choices by other people.

Sorry for the tangent, but it's very tempting to want to share your good fortune - which is an easy way to lose it.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
Wild Bill shoulda taken more out of his IRA when he could have. . . .
Never got around to admitting this, but a mistake in the early years... shoulda done the same... left some money on the tax table for three years.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #54

For some reason, this made me actually think a bit. I think it changed over time for me based on how much I had:

First it was security (rainy day fund)
Once I had that covered, it became about having money to do things (travel, mostly)
Then it became about saving for retirement
Now it is about saving for early retirement

So now it is all of those things - we have short term savings for traveling and other stuff, and then retirement money for later...
Old 11-19-2014, 10:44 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
"Two chicks at once"
You have modest needs. Here you go.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
"Two chicks at once"
Here in the south that would go under "laws you think should be broken" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Here you go.

This would be under the "laws you think should be broken" thread just about anywhere!
Old 11-19-2014, 11:28 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

I'm sure there are many other things, but in reading the board I became aware that one thing I really appreciate is not having to always be trying to save money.

I'm sure many of you have your own lists of what money is for.

Ha
+1 - All my working life I was always trying to save money for retirement. Not to an extreme, but I was always aware/concerned that I needed to save. For almost 40 years, I counted every dollar that was set aside for retirement. Looking back, I'm now amazed how quickly I quit worrying about saving more money once I had met my financial goals and retired.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

I can literally do ANYTHING I want EVERYDAY.

This simple (but powerful) idea was enough to focus my energy on earning enough money, and spending very little of it in order to make that IDEA my REALITY one day. Done. As obsessed as I was about money on the journey to ER, I am now obsessed with shaping my life into something MORE than it was while I was a career creature. The change is underway and is occurring rapidly. Money (and amassing enough of it) has made this possible.

Everyday that I wake up - there are no restrictions on me whatsoever. No quasi-ER here - ie., no kids still at home, consulting work etc... the amount of freedom was difficult to deal with at first, but now I have settled into my new life with a Zen-like calm. Only 2 months since ER, and I am closing in on being in the best shape of my life. I have attacked my fitness goals with a single minded determination that would not be possible if I was beset by "money worries" and thoughts of "not saving enough". Those days are gone thankfully.