What is your action vs Market Fall?

I had some cash sitting around today, so just put in a small buy order on Total Stock Market. Not enough to swing anything, but I like the discount (regardless of what happens tomorrow, or next week/month etc).

Just curious...how long have you had that cash just sitting around? What was the price back then vs what you bought it for today?

Me, I'm just sitting tight. I think I'm still ahead YTD, if I was to bother to check. I'm certainly way ahead over the last 12 months. If I knew what it was going to do next, I'd take action, but nobody knows for sure, certainly not me.

Nothing, but thinking of doing a Roth conversion sooner rather than later.

I've already done about half of my conversions for the year. I hate to do too much more this early but I think I'll chip away in smaller increments for awhile.

Of course there are two actions to take:
1. Sell as soon as you see the Fall begins, wait until the Market stabilizes and buy in again.
2. Seat tight, do not sell or buy, having enough cash to wait until the storm is over.
Personally I prefer to seat tight, especially on Dividend paying stocks as it is part of income. However there is possibility to make much larger amount if selling when they are still in plus and repurchasing when stocks went to the bottom or so.
#2. I already withdrew all the cash I will need for my 2018 living expenses, back in the first week of January. Also I have enough cash besides that, for several more years. So, I'll just sit tight and gasp in amazement as our investment roller coaster ride continues.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 87
I put a bit of my cash into the S&P today. Not a significant buy, but been a very low on the equities and figured a little buying wouldn't hurt. As has been said, we're not even back to prices of just a few months ago, so pretty much staying put.

I'm invested to generate income. I don't particularly care if the share prices fluctuate and go down for years. My main concern is that my income doesn't drop.

My fixed income is investment grade and my stocks are defensive, mostly utilities. So I may not get any cuts at all. Share prices were probably inflated. So I wouldn't be surprised if it takes years to recover on paper.

Re-investing income at lower prices means higher yields. Probably a great opportunity to grow my income.

I'm enjoying the fact the Dow is up almost 1000 points from where it was on Thanksgiving. :)

Let's hope that you will not have to edit your post to say it was Thanksgiving of 2016. >:D

I guess lots of people had a lot of stop loss sells . I don't understand all indicators are good , people working people spending money ..Oh the Fed raised interest to 3.85 Whaaat I still think we will stabilize soon and go right back up . Bought some XOM and F today . can't win if you don't play.

Rebalanced a few more times than usual over the past couple months, then last week I told DH to scrape the cream off the top, and he did. Feeling smug. I’m really concerned about Federal debt, and the tax cuts when at full employment. Trying not to be political, just talking fiscal policy.:confused:

I was planning to go from 70/30 to 65/35 on DW’s BDay this spring as FIRE comes in the cross hairs in a few years. Today it ended 68/32 so maybe I won’t need to lift a finger at this rate.

I'mma gonna do the same thing I did when it was going up, nothing.

DJIA futures are up (but close to flat) at the present time.

I've seen many folks quote some futures numbers that are relative change from yesterday's close and not from today's close. I don't know where they get these numbers or why they spread such fake numbers.

See: https://www.investing.com/indices/indices-futures

Update an hour later: DJIA futures now down about 2%.

Last edited:
I went from 60/40 to 50/50 at the end of November. The market is about back to where I sold that 10% from. So a neutral change so far.

Been short the market for 25% of my portfolio and have been wrong for 3-4 years now, less wrong today but still wrong overall. I am one of the few smiling today but only briefly.

How do you maintain a short position with that much of your portfolio for that long and still have any money left:confused:

Two years of expenses set aside in cash.
Turned off the TV
Went to the beach

Moved some money from a bank savings account paying next to nothing to a short term bond fund. SWSBX exp ratio = .06%

Last edited:
same as I did during all the bears dips and corrections before ER, nothing.....well I did keep DCA 'ing during those times now I'll just withdraw based on % when/if needed. In a way like DCA in reverse

DJIA futures are up (but close to flat) at the present time.

I've seen many folks quote some futures numbers that are relative change from yesterday's close and not from today's close. I don't know where they get these numbers or why they spread such fake numbers.

See: https://www.investing.com/indices/indices-futures

Update an hour later: DJIA futures now down about 2%.

Yup I got an alert about it being down 1000 at the open.

Back
Top Bottom