Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

"What is your best money 'making' tip?"
Old 01-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

"What is your best money 'making' tip?"

In respond to "What is your best money saving tip?" how about

"What is your best money 'making' tip?". I don't mean making a living but a quick making money tip.

Here is what I did, however, it's NOT the best. Cleaned out the junk in the garage and got $167 for it on Craiglist. It took 6 hrs of work which including taking picts, posting, showing and dealing with emails. Some might not think it's not worth it but it kept DW happy and you know it's priceless when DW happy.

Any idea you want to share?

enuff
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Good question! I think it's a lot easier to save money than to make it, especially now that I am not working.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Open checking accounts everywhere for the $100-$200 kickback. They need direct-deposit, so just divert $1 of each paycheck to that account. My employer's paycheck software allows a paycheck to be divided up among several direct deposit sites.

Stooze: Take advantage of those 0%-interest, no-fee cash advances on credit cards. Do this every year. It's worth at least $1500 a year.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Open checking accounts everywhere for the $100-$200 kickback.
I've considered doing this, but wondered about the hassle factor. Do you then close the accounts after having kept them the minimum required time?
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

What hassle factor? They are on absolute auto-pilot. You don't really use them for anything. Yes, close them after withdrawing all the money and the bonus. Rinse and repeat.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #6

Whenever I do a major de-cluttering in the house, I separate the stuff into piles: sell, donate, toss. I have sold tons of stuff on eBay over the years. In the early years (first few years eBay was around), I literally made several thousand $. Now it's much less, since there is less clutter and I find eBay to be not quite as profitable as it once was. Still worth it, though.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I've done both the stoozing and the kickback routine, and lately I think the kickback thing is easier from a hassle/$$$ perspective given todays low savings rate. (If you're using those high interest checking account things, that could tip the balance towards stoozing.)

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I sold some sterling silverware that I inherited from my Grandmother and some odds and ends of gold jewelry that I inherited from my Mother. I was very surprised at how much even small, broken pieces of gold jewelry are worth.

Coach
Old 01-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Don't w*rk for the government.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Credit card sign-ups. Similar to checking account sign ups. The last 6 or 8 were for free frequent flyer miles. That will provide roughly 10 long distance international round trip tickets.

Maybe I need to look into the checking account sign ups more seriously. How many of these $100-200 sign ups do you guys do per year?
Old 01-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For non-investing related money making ideas:

1. keep your recepits for work related expenses - the gremlins in the accounts department will not reimburse without the recepits (or a major grovelling exercise)

2. put everything you can on your credit card instead of paying cash - the points add up and free flights etc are as good as earning extra money
Old 01-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Sadly, the best money making tip for me would be to defer FIRE. The day you quit, you rarely reclaim the human capital you had the day before.

It's a bit like selling your soul to the devil, and I finally moved past that. But if I needed a bit more money for any reason, it would be most quickly achieved by delaying the gold watch.

After that? E-bay. Wanna buy a couple of motorcycle helmets? A huge RV cover or power cord? Maybe a 36" Sony TV?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
It's a bit like selling your soul to the devil...
Geeze doc, that's not the way I see it at all. The day I pulled the plug I felt as if I'd died and gone to heaven.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:53 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

DH makes a few bucks by playing a gig now and then. So far I have refused to wear a little cap and hold a tin cup in my hand....
Old 01-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Regarding the hassle factor for checking account sign-ups...

To determine if it's worth it, I figure it requires ~3-4 hours of hassle work:

- 1.5-2 hours to set it up properly, i.e. make sure you get all the details right, setup work direct deposit (DD), make sure to check that everything is arriving correctly once it gets going, keep account notes

- ~1 hour to close account and DD properly, i.e. so that DD does not arrive into already-closed account and account that required DD does not think it's been too long since DD was closed and starts charging a fee

- ~1 hour total for next 6-12 months to collect the statements, beginners checks, whatever other stuff from the bank, and glance over whatever you get; perhaps withdraw your original deposit too and periodically whatever money is being DDed (sometimes $100 DD per pay-period is required)

- time it takes to read posts like this
smjsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

In line with what Rich wrote, I asked for a 50% raise at my part-time job ... and got it.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:35 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I may need an intervention; today I had a relapse and remembered how nice it is to pick up a paycheck or even $40 for cat sitting. I calmed myself down and reassured myself that I do not need to cat sit. Better to do as LOL! suggests and stooze when such unhealthy urges arise. OTOH, filling out forms resembles w*rk. I'm okay now. nothing happening here.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:59 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I may need an intervention; today I had a relapse and remembered how nice it is to pick up a paycheck or even $40 for cat sitting. I calmed myself down and reassured myself that I do not need to cat sit. Better to do as LOL! suggests and stooze when such unhealthy urges arise. OTOH, filling out forms resembles w*rk. I'm okay now. nothing happening here.
LOL!!! Glad you got past those feelings.

When I feel a little insecure about not having a paycheck, I just look at my checking account online. I can see where I transferred money into it from my investment accounts on January 1st, for spending during the month of January. I can see my tiny (but undoubtedly stalwart and robust) federal pension appearing by direct deposit on January 4th.

Then I realize that I am getting paid for breathing.

In... out.... in.... out.... Both Uncle Sam and I will faithfully pay me each month for my respiratory diligence. Oh Cuppajoe, this is MUCH better than a paycheck.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:48 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Geeze doc, that's not the way I see it at all. The day I pulled the plug I felt as if I'd died and gone to heaven.
Yup - it's the staying-on-beyond-what-you-need that I was referring to.

DW caught me yesterday in a moment of "REW Syndrome" -- I casually asked whether she thought it was a good idea if I moved up my semi-FIRE date a few weeks so we could sneak in that RV trip to Top Sail. She told me to calm down.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Then I realize that I am getting paid for breathing.

In... out.... in.... out.... Both Uncle Sam and I will faithfully pay me each month for my respiratory diligence.
That's about what I said to one of the (also retired) neighbors a few months after moving. "Wow, all I have to do is keep breathing and they send me money every month!"

Still in the euphoria stage then.