Join Early Retirement Today

Pennies
Old 01-07-2010, 02:59 PM   #261
Confused about dryer sheets

Pennies

Whenever I see a penny on the ground, I pick it up, and of course make a wish, but I put it in an old glass water jug. Whenever I clean out my purse, I take only the pennies and put them in the jar and I just keep adding and watch it fill up! No, it doesn't fill up quickly, but when I get to a point that I really need something...I cash it all in. For instance, when I bought a home I needed a lawn mower, and what I saved in pennies, paid for my lawnmower, which is electric. - I laugh when I hear people make off the hand comments if they see me pick up change off the ground, even a penny, like "how disgusting!", but I am the one laughing...and hey, it's not like I put the money in my mouth!! Geeezzz!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #262
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
one of my favorite B Frankline quotes is along the lines of "the wood you will buy for a fireplace will cost you more than the actual fireplace" ....illustrating the evil of monthly expense commitments

we discovered coupons when outfitting our second home in Florida. We were walking out of BBB with cartloads day after day...and a friendly teller told us we should be using coupons...and that we could buy them on ebay.

We were able to go back and get the discounts retroactively, not only using expired coupons, but as well expired coupons of other stores!

Yes, those would be the 20% off any single item, the $5/$15 or the $10/$30 BBB coupons. I never go there without them!! Which other store's coupons can you use there these days? I used to use Linens N Things, but they're not around any more.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:01 PM   #263
Recycles dryer sheets

yes it was LNT at that time.

they sternly warned us that they would no longer honour those coupons once LNT finally went under

we just laughed after. In Canada, they never honour expired coupons or coupons of other retailers.

Canadian retail is so anal, you have to ask for a key to go to the washroom at Canadian Tire!
Old 01-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #264
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinmama View Post
Yes, those would be the 20% off any single item, the $5/$15 or the $10/$30 BBB coupons. I never go there without them!! Which other store's coupons can you use there these days? I used to use Linens N Things, but they're not around any more.
this from a coupon website discussion:

"I work for BBB and I want to clarify a few things for you fine folks. First of all, unfortunately not all BBB's take expired coupons, it does vary from district to district. For example, AZ takes them, MN does not, etc. However if you are very nice, and ask to speak to a manager...oftentimes they will take one or two of the expired coupons, but not always.

Also any "coupons" that you get in your e-mail are called "saving certificates" and most BBB's do not accept expired ones since multiple copies can obviously be printed.

They are always happy to accept competitor coupons that are current and are for items that both we and the competitor carry. (This is our policy, if they try to say otherwise, be polite and ask for a manager ALWAYS) For example: they will absolutely honor a 40% off coupon from JoAnn Fabrics if used on a piece of framed art, however they will not honor a 40% off coupon from JoAnn Fabrics on a cookware set since JoAnn does not carry cookware."
Old 01-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #265
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have three tips.

(1) Along the lines of what Ziggy was saying, above: when I have several things in mind that I would like to do in the near future, and do not significantly prefer one to the other, I do the free things first.

Amazing how that lowers costs. You wouldn't think it would, but it does.

(2) An unrelated money-saving tip: In the summer, I keep the thermostat as warm as is comfortable, and wear nearly nothing and drink lots of ice water. In the winter I keep it as cool as is comfortable, and wear warm clothing and sit with a blanket on my lap.

What starts out being only a couple of degrees warmer or colder at first, ends up being a good ten degrees difference by the end of the season because the body acclimates as the season progresses.

To assist me in this, I have my programmable thermostat set with a default of 85 in the summer and 60 in the winter. If I do the manual override to, say, 70 in the winter, it will stay there for a couple of hours and then starts to drift colder. When I notice it is too cold, I manually raise it by just a degree or two.

(3) Another money-saving tip: choose your friends wisely. If your friends are not extravagant, you are less likely to spend money foolishly.
OK, adding to or expanding on these tips:

Don't base your self worth on what you buy. Develop other interests that don't involve going to stores. Don't browse online shopping websites.

Reconsider what the word "need" means to you. For example, do I actually need a garlic press, when I went without one for 40 years? I bought one as a treat to myself when I inherited, because I always wanted another one but wouldn't buy one due to my miserly/LBYM habits and striving for ER. But had I not bought one, I would still be managing just fine because this was a want, not a need.

Think about your life, and everything you have bought over your entire life. Does one human being really need that much stuff to maintain life and to be happy? Whatever happens to all this stuff is one of the Great Mysteries of the Universe.

Remember, it doesn't matter how much you save on an item if you are constantly spending! You will save more if you just don't shop at all than if you buy, buy, buy even if what you buy is a good deal.

So stay home and read a book, check the forum, or do something else. Try to find happiness in the context of what you have already accumulated, rather than falling for the unspoken fallacy of "If I just buy THIS, I will be happy." That is not the key to happiness. Look inside to find out what is.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #266
Recycles dryer sheets

excellent point. you can also redirect the shopping impulse by going nuts at the dollar store (20 items for 20 bucks!) or shopping garage sales.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #267
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tieky View Post
Whenever I see a penny on the ground, I pick it up, and of course make a wish, but I put it in an old glass water jug. Whenever I clean out my purse, I take only the pennies and put them in the jar and I just keep adding and watch it fill up! No, it doesn't fill up quickly, but when I get to a point that I really need something...I cash it all in. For instance, when I bought a home I needed a lawn mower, and what I saved in pennies, paid for my lawnmower, which is electric. - I laugh when I hear people make off the hand comments if they see me pick up change off the ground, even a penny, like "how disgusting!", but I am the one laughing...and hey, it's not like I put the money in my mouth!! Geeezzz!
While you are stooping to pick up a penny, someone could be lifting your wallet. I think I'll let pennies lie.

ha
Old 01-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
While you are stooping to pick up a penny, someone could be lifting your wallet. I think I'll let pennies lie.
Or you could throw out your back and be out the health insurance deductible...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #269
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Reconsider what the word "need" means to you. For example, do I actually need a garlic press, when I went without one for 40 years? I bought one as a treat to myself when I inherited, because I always wanted another one but wouldn't buy one due to my miserly/LBYM habits and striving for ER. But had I not bought one, I would still be managing just fine because this was a want, not a need.
If a garlic press is your inheritance splurge, I think you are safe from any charges of loose spending.

Ha
Old 01-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #270
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If a garlic press is your inheritance splurge, I think you are safe from any charges of loose spending.

Ha
Well, I spent more than that (maybe about $2K) including a color laser printer, computer, and wireless router, plus some other things in the garlic press category (little but wanted though not needed) like real salt and pepper shakers.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #271
Give me a forum ...

was given a lemon/lime press this Christmas, like this one: Sturdy Cast Aluminum Lemon Juicer - Fruit & Vegetable Tools
Really works! That is, once I was told the cut portion of the lemon faces the concave area of the press and the convex surfaces of lemon and press touch. Pretty much turns the lemon inside out. Doesn't save any money, but this and a micro-plane zester made me happy, so if happy doesn't cost much maybe that's a savings.

Little pleasures.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #272
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
was given a lemon/lime press this Christmas, like this one: Sturdy Cast Aluminum Lemon Juicer - Fruit & Vegetable Tools
Really works! That is, once I was told the cut portion of the lemon faces the concave area of the press and the convex surfaces of lemon and press touch. Pretty much turns the lemon inside out. Doesn't save any money, but this and a micro-plane zester made me happy, so if happy doesn't cost much maybe that's a savings.

Little pleasures.
Didn't cost you a thing if it was a gift! I am glad you like it. Cynic that I am, I'll bet that in 10 years it will be in a landfill, though.

On the topic of landfills - - when I think of how much of what we buy ends up there, it makes me think that much of what we buy is to satisfy some sort of "nut gathering" urge rather than because we actually need most of this stuff. In a sense people could seem like funnels which gather together mountains of "stuff" throughout their long lives, transform it into trash, and funnel it off to landfills. Not that I am immune to this!

Maybe today I am feeling a little overly cynical regarding humanity (ya think? )

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #273
Recycles dryer sheets

I found a $4 charge on my savings account statement 'Maintenance' so-called.

Off I went to my bank - nonono! I said - cancel that or close the account!

The charge 'tis cancelled.

MY money, mine-mine-mine :::channelling Scroge McDuck:::

ta,
mew
Old 01-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #274
Give me a forum ...

....The last few posts..........ahem...
Old 01-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #275
Give me a forum ...

• Keep the minimum in your checking account that will avoid fees, and transfer any surplus into a high interest account.
  • Pay for everything with a credit card because it will be ~6 weeks before that money leaves your bank account.
  • Never, ever, incur credit card debt.
  • Never, ever, use your credit card to get cash out of an ATM. They start charging interest right away.
  • Never use a credit card that doesn't do something for you. It may be cashback or frequent flyer points, but whatever it is, use the benefits.
  • If your local favourite restaurant has a "pasta night" go, order the special, eat half, and bring the rest home in a doggie bag for tomorrow night.
  • If you incur w*rk related expenses such as parking, submit every last one of them for reimbursement.
  • If you can, incorporate your business or profession; defer your taxes as long as possible by paying yourself dividends only when you need them; set up a corporate health plan so that you can expense your noninsured health costs.
  • If you are in demand for public speaking, develop a marketing statement about how wonderful you are. Recognize that time devoted to this has an opportunity cost. Determine what your requirements are (expenses plus honorarium) and when invited to speak, make them clear. You will be surprised at how many organizations will not bat an eye!
  • If Canadian, when in Alberta, shop for easy to carry stuff you would buy anyway (e.g. underwear). There's no provincial sales tax.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #276
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Remember, it doesn't matter how much you save on an item if you are constantly spending! You will save more if you just don't shop at all than if you buy, buy, buy even if what you buy is a good deal.

That is unless you learn how to make money buying stuff. This is what I do for a "hobby". Today I made over $20 buying stuff at two of the major drug chains. I will get an additional $13 by submitting some of the receipts for a manufacturer's rebate. I will even "make" some additional dough by donating some of the items to the local food pantry for a tax deduction.

Other than shopping "for a profit", I pretty much hate to shop and even then sometimes I don't really enjoy it; but it is a great way to get the things that we need/use for free or pennies on the dollar.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #277
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I found a $4 charge on my savings account statement 'Maintenance' so-called.
I saw a $25 charge on my investment account. Apparently they look at the balance in December and if your account is below a certain level, you are charged the fee. A family member had an emergency in Dec and needed a very short term loan so we helped them out. It was during that very "short term" that the bank looked at our balance.

I called the bank, pointed out to them that our balance is most ALWAYS way above their minimum (to avoid the fee), and asked them to refund it, which they promptly did.

One of my favorite adages, "If you don't ask, the answer is already 'no' ".
Old 01-10-2010, 07:02 AM   #278
Dryer sheet aficionado

Dsncin
had the same bit w/ a local bank charging me a $3 inactivity fee cple months back which overdrafted the account. I had wanted to close the account several years ago but had to stand in line & wait to talk to a banker instead of just being able to cash out the account w/ a teller. Went in. Talked to a "personal banker." Had the fees reversed and promptly CLOSED the account.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #279
Give me a forum ...

Just back from a two week 3500 mile car trip through Eastern Oregon & Nevada, SW Utah and Arizona & California. Before crossing the border into Oregon we stopped at a discount liquor store and I stocked up for much of the coming year - Big fun buying cases of booze and doing best guesses at what consumption habits will be like for the upcoming year. Big fun acting like Diamond Jim and spending like a big dog. Even bigger fun taking the sales receipt in to the local Green Front and finding that even after paying Cali's whopping sales tax i saved 37% vs. buying in Oregon.

Could I save more by not drinking? Yes. Will I sneeze at drinking a notch better hooch and saving several hundred bucks over the coming year? No.

Vacationing and buying things you use that are cheaper where you are vacationing makes travel even less expensive.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #280
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My favorite is coupons, rebates, and sales at places like Rite Aid and Walgreens. There are lots of free and better than free deals to be had. I am able to get lots of shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, floss, deodorant, razors, lotions, bodywash, cold and allergy products, and eye care products for free resulting in almost never having to pay for these things. I read Fat Wallet, Slick Deals, and Hot Coupon World to learn about how to best maximize the deals. The surplus can be donated or some people report having stockpile yard sales and earning some money for the effort.