Join Early Retirement Today

80% off now!
Old 11-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #321
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

80% off now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
We don't eat out a lot, but when we do, we try to go wherever we have a coupon from restaurant.com.

Details: You normally buy a $25 coupon (must spend $35, alcohol/taxes not included) at their website for $10. However, I wait until they offer an 80% off sale. So, I get a $25 coupon for $2. Essentially, if you spend $35, you get $23 off, or actually only spend $12 for that meal.

It's a sweet deal!
Hi, - there is 80% currently for restaurant.com I just bought a load of gift cards/certificates for friends and only spent $20...!!!

Use code DEAL at check out

The restaurant list has improved since when I first saw folks mention it here...thought I'd share!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #322
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The 2 liter containers of soda (e.g. A&W Diet Root Beer) are much cheaper than cans, but the trick is to make the fizz last. I had one of these fizz keepers, but found, through experiments and Internet research, that they don't work.

The trick to keeping the fizz is to (a) not open the bottles when they are warm, and (b) to be extremely gentle with the bottle. That is, you act as if it's a bottle of nitroglycerin, and take it in and out of the fridge very slowly (don't keep it on the door). When you pour, for example, don't let the liquid blurp against the top of the opening. If you see any bubbles, you are being too rough.

If you pour it down the side of the glass, you'll lose a lot of fizz, so first put several ounces of cold (from the fridge) water in the glass and pour the soda into the water. This stuff is too sweet anyway, so diluting is a good idea.

With these techniques, there's still some fizz in the last pour from the bottle.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
Hi, - there is 80% currently for restaurant.com I just bought a load of gift cards/certificates for friends and only spent $20...!!!

Am I missing it? I don't see anything offering 80% off. Where is it mentioned?
Old 11-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #324
Dryer sheet aficionado

restaurant.com 80%

I just tried it and it worked. For the restaurant you are interested in, select the gift card you want (i.e.,) $25 dollar card for $10 and select the quantity (I selected 4). Then click add to cart. At the top of the page there should be a field to enter the code, enter "deal". It should then apply the savings.

My 4 - $25 cards (for $10 each) showed up as $40 with a savings of $32 for a grand total of $8

Note: for the specific restaurant I picked, there was a disclosure that 20% gratuity is added to the bill before the discount is applied.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #325

My best money saving tip is to remain single.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:53 PM   #326
Recycles dryer sheets

My best money saving tips:
1. Drive your car for at least 10 yrs
2. Don't buy too much house
3. Pay attention to credit score as it affects what you pay on insurance as well as loans
4. Use credit cards for the rewards & benefits as much as possible (but don't carry a balance)
5. Limit eating out, bring your lunch to w*rk & learn to creatively use leftovers to stretch the grocery budget
6. Don't chase fashion trends - buy simple, basic clothes and take care of them. Same with shoes & purses (for the ladies, unless you guys like buying shoes & purses too...no judgement )
7. Color your own hair - I just need to cover grays, so I buy the box stuff for $7 or so, vs. paying $40 or more for a salon to do the same thing. I also keep my hair cut in a simple style, and just go to Super Cuts to get it cut for ~ $18 every couple of months.
8. Buy store brands vs. name brands. For most stuff they are fine. If you try & don't like, than stick with the name brand but look for coupons. I find Costco's Kirkland brand to be good for most stuff. Also Whole Foods' 365 store brand is very good.
9. For cooking, try learning some vegetarian meals to mix in once or twice a week - will shave a bit off your grocery bill vs. eating meat every day.
10. Limit magazine & newspaper subscriptions, as they can add up every month and there is a lot of stuff on the net for free
11. When traveling pack your own food. When flying, bring an empty water bottle and fill it up at a water fountain once you are past security, instead of buying a bottle in the airport. Pack only what fits in a carry on vs. checking bags w/ a fee (plus, if it doesn't *happen* to fit on the plane...they will gate check your bag for free, vs. paying to check it in ).
12. Wash & re-use zip-lock bags & the "disposable" plastic containers.
13. Condition your hair with egg yolks instead of store bought conditioner (yes, its a little gross, but it works great...leaves my hair shiny, soft and manageable). Eat the leftover egg whites for breakfast

Hm, that's all I can think of right now. I need to look at restaurant.com again, the last time I checked it out the participating restaurant list wasn't that great...
Old 11-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #327
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by artist59 View Post
I just tried it and it worked. For the restaurant you are interested in, select the gift card you want (i.e.,) $25 dollar card for $10 and select the quantity (I selected 4). Then click add to cart. At the top of the page there should be a field to enter the code, enter "deal". It should then apply the savings.

My 4 - $25 cards (for $10 each) showed up as $40 with a savings of $32 for a grand total of $8

Note: for the specific restaurant I picked, there was a disclosure that 20% gratuity is added to the bill before the discount is applied.
Make sure you read the fine print on that web site. Some of the deals aren't as good as you think (with regards to redemption).
Old 11-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Am I missing it? I don't see anything offering 80% off. Where is it mentioned?
If you sign up with Restaurant.com you will receive email offers during the month with the special deals.

When I lived in NY we used it all the time. Down in Fla there are not as many restaurants signed up with them.

It's a great deal if you live in an area where the restaurants are signed up so you have a variety of choices.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #329

FYI, they are doing a special "Feed It Forward" program with restaurant.com right now. You can give free $10 Restaurant.com gift certs to as many as 40 different people a day through Dec 31. Details are on the website.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:47 PM   #330
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, Simple Girl...I tried the DEAL code on restaurant.com and it worked!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #331

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninelover View Post
Thanks, Simple Girl...I tried the DEAL code on restaurant.com and it worked!
Actually, I can't take credit for the DEAL code, that goes to bright eyed (see quote below). I posted the Feed It Forward special. But thank you for thanking me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post

The restaurant list has improved since when I first saw folks mention it here...thought I'd share!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #332
Recycles dryer sheets

Woops...then thank you bright eyed for the code and simple girl for the feed it forward special!
Old 11-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #333
Dryer sheet aficionado

Fine print

The terms and conditions state that you can only use one gift card per restaurant, per month, per party. So it's better to get one for $50 instead of 2 at $25 each.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:06 PM   #334
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The 2 liter containers of soda (e.g. A&W Diet Root Beer) are much cheaper than cans, but the trick is to make the fizz last. I had one of these fizz keepers, but found, through experiments and Internet research, that they don't work.

The trick to keeping the fizz is to (a) not open the bottles when they are warm, and (b) to be extremely gentle with the bottle. That is, you act as if it's a bottle of nitroglycerin, and take it in and out of the fridge very slowly (don't keep it on the door). When you pour, for example, don't let the liquid blurp against the top of the opening. If you see any bubbles, you are being too rough.

If you pour it down the side of the glass, you'll lose a lot of fizz, so first put several ounces of cold (from the fridge) water in the glass and pour the soda into the water. This stuff is too sweet anyway, so diluting is a good idea.

With these techniques, there's still some fizz in the last pour from the bottle.
Yes, CO2 comes out of solution more easily as the liquid warms. Although I don't see where pouring into a cold glass will do anything to preserve the beverage in the bottle (but it would help keep the fizz in the glass). But keeping the bottle still and cold should help. You might even want to set it in the freezer for 20 minutes (set a timer - don't forget!) before you pour.

Soda is carbonated at up around 3.7 volumes of CO2. At 60F, that bottle will be at ~ 40PSI, but only ~ 19PSI at 32F.

Or you could go this route and buy your own syrups:

Carbonating at Home with Improvised Equipment and Soda Fountains

I've also used a similar setup with a 20oz paintball tank, an adapter and regulator. I'm normally carbonating beverages that are not so sweet and that I definitely would never water down.

-ERD50
Old 12-01-2010, 04:17 AM   #335
Recycles dryer sheets

I figure bringing my lunch and a snack to work every day rather than buying it outside or even in the cafeteria saves about $2k a year. Another one is driving a car that gets 40 MPG versus one that gets 20 MPG adds up to about $.5k savings a year for me ..it's also a hedge against volatile gas prices. For TV I use an OTA digital receiver and an antenna rather than cable. The digital receiver runs off the PC which also provides DVR ...together they save us about $1k a year. The wife calls her mom in Sweden 2x a week and talks for a good hour per call. Leveraging the cable broadband service with Vonage saves us a few hundred a year....I think...never did a comparison though. I actually enjoy finding ways to save money.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninelover View Post
Woops...then thank you bright eyed for the code and simple girl for the feed it forward special!

Haha, no worries... happy to help.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
You piqued my curiosity, so I researched and found this on the Web.
In Oregon, the state buys and sells all hard liquor. Independent agents receive a commission for operating the stores that sell the spirits, getting at most 8.88 percent of sales.
What? What kind of communist policy is that? What other goods does the state reserve for itself as the sole merchant? When traveling through some eastern seaboard states, it bothered me to have to look for liquor stores on the turnpikes, but it never occurred to me that these may also be state-owned stores.
Actually, it is more like fascism. My state, Pennsylvania has it set up where the state sells all of the hard liquior and wine in their own chain of stores. Nothing independent about that.

This is a good thread. I knew I would figure out a way to post on it.

Free is good
Old 12-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

This stuff is too sweet anyway, so diluting is a good idea.

Diluting is good, diluting with alcohol is better. Dilute your soda about 50%. Think of the savings and how much better you feel because of them.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #339
Recycles dryer sheets

wow, you must be rich to buy soda when you have running water in the house!

Every skill you learn can save money. I recovered my beautiful heirloom furniture in my living room- the quote I got was $2500-$3000 dollars and I did it myself for under $500. It didn't even take that long and it looks fabulous.

Now that we don't work we keep a list by the back door of any errands or things we need to do when leaving the house and consolidate trips. We rarely run out of anything that way. Tomorrow when I go to the dentist I'll stop by the library and the post office to mail a christmas package as long as I am in the area instead of making another trip today. Use less gas and make your cars last longer.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #340
Give me a forum ...

Wear long underwear (top and bottom) under you clothes around the house. You can keep it 5 degrees cooler and be just as comfortable. I have some Swedish wool stuff that is very cozy.