Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #341
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but a great way to save money on eyeglasses is to buy online from 39dollarglasses.com or a couple of others. DW bought two new pair of progressive lens eyeglasses today for about $85 each, delivered. Based on her past experience, that's 1/3 or less the price at a brick & mortar store.

Yes, I tired to tell her brick & mortar stores didn't sell eyeglasses, but sometimes she just doesn't listen...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #342
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but a great way to save money on eyeglasses is to buy online from 39dollarglasses.com or a couple of others. DW bought two new pair of progressive lens eyeglasses today for about $85 each, delivered. Based on her past experience, that's 1/3 or less the price at a brick & mortar store.

Yes, I tired to tell her brick & mortar stores didn't sell eyeglasses, but sometimes she just doesn't listen...

I have ordered from Zenni and have been pretty much satisfied with them. The price is about 1/5 of what I have bought glasses for locally. It is hard to select a style and sizing when you can't try them on though. Zenni charges $5 for the coating and I think just that component at Kaiser was $65 a few years ago. The savings is dramatic and I really wonder why eyeglasses can't be more affordable in the US.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #343
Recycles dryer sheets

I've also caught on to 39dollarglasses.com (and I'm sure that the other online stores mentioned are good too). Bought my first pair about 4 years ago and have purchased a couple more pair since then. Still using all of them and all under a hundred bucks. Using pre-tax dollars got them still another 1/3 lower in price. I suppose that some folks are scared they won't fit correctly when purchased online but mine have always fit perfectly. In ordering you will send them various nose-eye measurements... well worth the trouble in my experience.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

I do something similar - I try on eyeglasses at several stores (I'm hard to fit) and then order online...saved nearly half the money on the frames this way. Then get them filled at local optometrist.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
I really wonder why eyeglasses can't be more affordable in the US.
I think there is a big eyeglass conspiracy over here In Asia you can get amazing glasses for something like $10 a frame...and they can put the lenses in for you while you wait...
Old 12-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #346
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
I do something similar - I try on eyeglasses at several stores (I'm hard to fit) and then order online...saved nearly half the money on the frames this way. Then get them filled at local optometrist.
Do you mean that you write down the frame number when you try them on, and the order that frame, then bring it into the optician's and order lenses?
Old 12-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #347
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
I have ordered from Zenni and have been pretty much satisfied with them. The price is about 1/5 of what I have bought glasses for locally. It is hard to select a style and sizing when you can't try them on though. Zenni charges $5 for the coating and I think just that component at Kaiser was $65 a few years ago. The savings is dramatic and I really wonder why eyeglasses can't be more affordable in the US.
Another endorsement for Zenni. DW has gotten many pairs of glasses for something like $13 and my parents also got some progressive glasses with other 'features' for close to $40 and the results have been very good. Frames are a crapshoot, but it's so cheap. DW didn't like one of the frames, so she just saves it as a backup pair. Shipment takes about 2 weeks, so it definitely pays to have a backup pair.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #348
Full time employment: Posting here.

For DIYs, I bid the job from pros and see how much I have for a tool budget and whether I can do the job myself. After the basic tools are purchased, I am able to beat out the bids and save my profit.
I try to make each purchase pay for itself in some way. For example, when I bought a bicycle, I rode enough miles on mandatory trips to pay for the bike in gas savings.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #349
Administrator

I have a money saving tip that really works. Find something legal and free that you like to do more than shop, and that you also like to do more than shop online. Then spend a lot of time doing whatever it is.

OK, get your minds out of the gutter! I'm thinking things like going for a walk, spending time at the library, playing a beloved video game that you already own but that is gathering dust, practice pencil sketching, dust off that guitar in the back of the closet, do math problems if that appeals to you.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #350
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have a money saving tip that really works. Find something legal and free that you like to do more than shop, and that you also like to do more than shop online. Then spend a lot of time doing whatever it is.
I don't think you understand the male mind (do any females? And vice versa!).

Most males HATE to shop! We would do just about anything to avoid it! We don't need motivation to avoid it. We would rather do just about anything else at all.

My #1 gift request for years has been "clothes". Saves me the agony of shopping for clothes. Priceless.

The time I spend shopping online is to get the best value, not to find ways to spend. So that's a $ saver (but time killer).

-ERD50
Old 12-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #351
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I don't think you understand the male mind (do any females? And vice versa!).

Most males HATE to shop! We would do just about anything to avoid it! We don't need motivation to avoid it. We would rather do just about anything else at all.
As far as I can tell, they love to shop! Just not for clothes. They love to salivate over classic cars, boats, power tools, and RV's instead. So instead of going to that boat show, play a little computer solitaire or something.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #352

Don't know if it has been mentioned here before, but you may be able to make manual razors last a long, long time:

How to Drastically Increase the Life of Your Shaver Razor Blade Cartridges or Disposable Razors
Old 12-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #353
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Don't know if it has been mentioned here before, but you may be able to make manual razors last a long, long time:

How to Drastically Increase the Life of Your Shaver Razor Blade Cartridges or Disposable Razors
To me, this is similar to some of the 'savings' from the coupon thread - there are cheaper alternatives, so the savings may actually be minimal.

Quote:
For instance, Gillette Fusion Brand razor cartridge sets typically will run you about $27 per set of 12, which will typically only last you a few months
$27 for 12 blades?

Here's 100 DE razors for $15.75 (combine with other purchases > $25 for free shipping). Two years worth if you change once a week ( I usually go longer). How much effort do you want to apply towards an $8/year expense? How much can you really save?

Amazon.com: 100 Astra Superior Premium Platinum Double Edge Razor Blades: Health & Personal Care

A $2 shaving soap puck lasts me almost a year, and no aerosol can to be manufactured and then sent to a landfill.

-ERD50
Old 12-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #354
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As far as I can tell, they love to shop! Just not for clothes. They love to salivate over classic cars, boats, power tools, and RV's instead. So instead of going to that boat show, play a little computer solitaire or something.
Yes, men love their toys. But I still think you have it backwards (for most guys at least).

First comes the need/want of something, then the shopping (if they can't get someone else to do the shopping for them).

For example, I decided I wanted to get all my old vinyl recorded in digital format. Then I went shopping (online) for what I needed to get the job done. I didn't go randomly shopping and see a phono-pre-amp-DAC and say "Hey,if I bought that I could digitize my LPs". It's a different mindset. Like "Live to eat" versus "Eat to live".

Seriously, cutting down on shopping trips would not save me a dime. It would mean the car would be out of gas, the cupboards empty, the house not maintained and an empty brine tank in the water softener. I'm guessing this is a 'gender specific' tip!

-ERD50
Old 12-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #355

Stock up on basic staples when they go on sale. Just got 6 - 20 lb bags of Riceland Rice long grain rice @ 5.99/ea for the MIL. Rice prices finally have gotten back/close to pre-shortage prices from 1-2 years ago.

This is more of a car DIY tip, if you do your own brakes, many auto parts shops won't cut your rotors/drums if there's any hint of scoring. Turns out they make a much bigger profit selling new vs. resurfacing. Same problem with the pull in repair chains. No money to be made resurfacing your rotors, too much time and no profit. Best to find a local auto parts supply instead of a big chain store. I discovered this last few times visiting Pep Boys and Murray's (now O'Reilly's Auto). O'Reilly's kept telling me their resurfacing machine was broken (for over a year!), then mentioned I try to local shop down the street. This has been a big money saver.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:22 AM   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Do you mean that you write down the frame number when you try them on, and the order that frame, then bring it into the optician's and order lenses?
Well, I do that or take a picture of number w/ my cell!

Some online places also do the lenses if you have the prescription, but I didn't at the time - I got the frames first. Plus, just like the process of getting the new lenses and them helping fit etc...
Old 12-06-2010, 03:47 AM   #357
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

OK, get your minds out of the gutter! ...
Spend a lot of time doing something I like to do more of?

Old 12-06-2010, 08:29 AM   #358
Give me a forum ...

Dump your Cable TV Service.

Rabbit Ears Perk Up for Free HDTV

Quote:
“Over-the-air is the new basic cable,” he said, arguing that free TV and Internet alternatives “are giving people the rationale they’ve been looking for to end a bad relationship.”

Modern antennas, which cost $25 to $150, pick up high-definition signals that can actually be crisper than the cable or satellite version of the same program, because the pay TV companies compress the video data.
As we travel around, we can compare OTA to Cable quite often at campgrounds near cities and towns -- the picture/sound quality of Cable is always of a much lower quality.

The article speaks of, for instance, lost signals but, in my experience, that is rare -- if you get a signal, it remains steady. Of course, we don't use "Rabbit Ears" because we have a roof-top antennae on both houses (bricks & sticks and the Roadtrek).
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #359
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post

Or grow a beard . I shave the non-beard area about once a week, whether I need it or not. Every few weeks trim the beard with scissors. My problem is that a 12 pack of razors is obsolete before I can use them all .
Old 12-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #360
Give me a forum ...

Since it hasn't been mentioned in a while (at least not on the last 100 posts in this thread) - for low minute cell phone users:

T-Mobile pre-pay "Gold Status" - I got a new phone for $32.09 (tax and free shipping), this included a few starter minutes, and a $25 card (130 minutes/90 days). Within 90 days, add a $100 card - that is good for 1000 minutes and 1 year and the minutes all rollover. After the first year, just $10 buys you 35 added minutes and a whole year of service.

Ongoing costs after the first year are just 83 cents per month. And they were just $11 per month the first year, including the phone.

This won't work if you actually have a need for more minutes, but I would think most retirees could get by fine on this. Oh, it helps to have a VOIP phone at home - I do all long distance on that. Or SKYPE.

-ERD50