Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And because we are closing in on a year of use - a plug for Ooma VOIP phone system. We ported our number, have two effective lines and numbers so our fax has a dedicated number, bought the required gear - and we are well ahead of our former landline phone bill in savings.

Another bonus is that we brought our Ooma box with us from Oregon and are using it here in California - when we go back we'll plug back in up there, though with Ooma's forwarding feature if we just go for a few weeks we'll probably just let the calls forward to our cell - another of Ooma's little bonus features.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #362
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just found out 2 tips:

1. You can use a dryer cloth like Bounce 3 times!

2. You save alot of electricity and money by washing your clothes after the electricity goes down at night, so here I wash and dry clothes after 7 pm when it's cheaper to run the electricity.

Why did it take me so long to learn this?

Old 12-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #363
Moderator Emeritus

I recently ordered from Zennioptical after not buying anything from them for a couple of years or so. Their selection is great and their options for specialty lenses, such as high index lenses, have improved. You also can upload a picture of yourself and try on glasses. That worked well and I am pleased with my purchases. However, I still an not totally happy with buying progressive lenses online as they never seem quite right. Great for buying cheap single vision glasses however.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:19 AM   #364
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
However, I still an not totally happy with buying progressive lenses online as they never seem quite right.
DW ordered progressive lenses from 39Dollar and was very happy with them. She just ordered two more and we'll see how they work. It appears the critical factor is getting a precise PD measurement (the distance between the center of the pupils of your eyes) and it took a while for me to figure out how to do that accurately. Holding up a ruler while you look in the mirror didn't do it for us.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #365
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Holding up a ruler while you look in the mirror didn't do it for us.
I always have problems with spouse's eyeballs twitching when I'm trying to gently lay the points of the dividers at the centers of her pupils...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #366
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I always have problems with spouse's eyeballs twitching when I'm trying to gently lay the points of the dividers at the centers of her pupils...
Yep. I've had pretty good luck duct-taping her head to the headrest in the front seat of the car before she sees the dividers...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #367
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
A doctor using a Dremel tool to trim some metal out of my eye used cocaine in a liquid form to calm the eye motion down.

That's what he said, though frankly his eye motion seemed even more frenetic after, but he's the doctor...

You could always tell Hawaii PD that's why you were shopping for coke - no guarantees though.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #368
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yep. I've had pretty good luck duct-taping her head to the headrest in the front seat of the car before she sees the dividers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
A doctor using a Dremel tool to trim some metal out of my eye used cocaine in a liquid form to calm the eye motion down.
That's what he said, though frankly his eye motion seemed even more frenetic after, but he's the doctor...
You could always tell Hawaii PD that's why you were shopping for coke - no guarantees though.
Wow, thanks guys, I never would've figured those tips out on my own! This board is the best ever!!

"Hey, honey, c'mere and let me show you how we can make your eyeglasses better! Oh, and could you please bring me the roll of duct tape?"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #369
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
DW ordered progressive lenses from 39Dollar and was very happy with them. She just ordered two more and we'll see how they work. It appears the critical factor is getting a precise PD measurement (the distance between the center of the pupils of your eyes) and it took a while for me to figure out how to do that accurately. Holding up a ruler while you look in the mirror didn't do it for us.
Yeah, I ordered a pair from them and had the eye doc measure the PD. Still a bit quirky. But I have serious astigmatism. I get the readers from Zenni though as they have the best price. I do fine with the single vision specs from either company.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #370
Recycles dryer sheets

I just saw an elderly couple have a meal of beef, bread and vegetables for $.75 each. And that included a soft drink. And this was in a self service dining area .

That's really creative.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #371
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have a money saving tip that really works. Find something legal and free that you like to do more than shop, and that you also like to do more than shop online. Then spend a lot of time doing whatever it is.
Sometimes that leads to HUGE shopping bills.........

Quote:
OK, get your minds out of the gutter! I'm thinking things like going for a walk, spending time at the library, playing a beloved video game that you already own but that is gathering dust, practice pencil sketching, dust off that guitar in the back of the closet, do math problems if that appeals to you.
Some guy on TV used to suggest adding the phrase: "while naked" onto the end of every sentence..........try adding that to your suggestions above and you will smile..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #372
Recycles dryer sheets

I spend like I'm broke, so I never will be.
missionfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #373
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I don't think you understand the male mind (do any females? And vice versa!).

Most males HATE to shop! We would do just about anything to avoid it! We don't need motivation to avoid it. We would rather do just about anything else at all.

My #1 gift request for years has been "clothes". Saves me the agony of shopping for clothes. Priceless.

The time I spend shopping online is to get the best value, not to find ways to spend. So that's a $ saver (but time killer).

-ERD50
I don't mind shopping..but it's what I'm shopping for that counts
Old 12-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #374
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Sometimes that leads to HUGE shopping bills.........

Some guy on TV used to suggest adding the phrase: "while naked" onto the end of every sentence..........try adding that to your suggestions above and you will smile..........

Any "Coupling" TV show fans out there?

Remember the "Coupling" epispde when the women purposely add the phrase "naked' as they are about to order their food at the restaurant to get the waiter distracted?

That episode is hilarious, I thought I'd die laughing. It's the about the funniest comedy episode I ever watched on TV, if you like that type of humor.

It's the one when Jeff has the surprise b-day party.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #375
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't read this whole thread so I hope it's not redundant.

I've quit drinking soda at restaurants like Souplantation, Sweet Tomatoes, Panera, Corner Bakery, a lot of fast food joints. I order a cup of water and I go to the condiment area, squeeze a few lemon slices worth of juice (they usually have lemons for water) into the water, and then add a couple of Equal or Splenda packets and stir. Free sugar-free lemonade!

It's not going to make me rich, but I get satisfaction knowing I avoided one of their highest markup items.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdaddy View Post
I haven't read this whole thread so I hope it's not redundant.

I've quit drinking soda at restaurants like Souplantation, Sweet Tomatoes, Panera, Corner Bakery, a lot of fast food joints. I order a cup of water and I go to the condiment area, squeeze a few lemon slices worth of juice (they usually have lemons for water) into the water, and then add a couple of Equal or Splenda packets and stir. Free sugar-free lemonade!

It's not going to make me rich, but I get satisfaction knowing I avoided one of their highest markup items.
I've done that before.... or just take a sip from the kids, I don't drink a lot while eating anyway Drinks are way overpriced!
Old 12-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Any "Coupling" TV show fans out there?
Most definitely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdaddy View Post
I've quit drinking soda at restaurants
It's amazing how cheap restaurants can be when you exclude drinks.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #378
Full time employment: Posting here.

My best money-saving tip would be, "Be suspicious of EVERYBODY when it comes to money."

When I was a naive 24-year-old, fresh out of university and into my first job, I marvelled at how helpful and friendly the salesman was at the Volkswagen dealership. I ended up paying over $40,000 for a Jetta, and it didn't even have leather seats.

Then, of course, there are the friendly "financial advisors" that will meet you in your own home, in the evenings or whenever is convenient for you (how nice!), and help you make sure you have enough life insurance and are invested in "good" mutual funds. 3.75% MER is reasonable, right? :P

Thousands and thousands of dollars wasted. Be cynical. Be skeptical. You can wash every Zip-Loc sandwich bag you ever come across for your whole life and it won't make hardly any difference, but if you let yourself "feel bad" for the nice car salesman who's already spent his afternoon with you, or you feel "guilty" not buying the overpriced mutual funds from the nicely dressed guy who just told you all about his kids, then it'll all be for nothing.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #379
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Thousands and thousands of dollars wasted. Be cynical. Be skeptical. You can wash every Zip-Loc sandwich bag you ever come across for your whole life and it won't make hardly any difference, but if you let yourself "feel bad" for the nice car salesman who's already spent his afternoon with you, or you feel "guilty" not buying the overpriced mutual funds from the nicely dressed guy who just told you all about his kids, then it'll all be for nothing.
Right on!
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #380
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post

Quote of the year award!!! Stealthy psychological warfare with a smile can cost a lot of lost $$!