Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #41
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Am about ready to drop cable.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2009, 08:22 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Yeah Im getting to that point myself. So many things on the internet.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I had thought about cable and if you are paying $60 a month it works out to be well over $7000 in 10 years (without any increases in price....and you KNOW it will increase!).

So when you think of it like that it seems like a lot to spend for watching tv.

I have to Thank T-AL and Martha for the cut the paper towel roll in half trick.....that is a good one to save money with.

How about more efficient washing machines and toilets?

Also what about growing an organic garden?

If you love being outdoors especially in summer (how did I come up with my screen name??!!!) like I do and are not afraid of getting dirty and doing a little work. You can have a good amount of free and really healthy food.

If you figure it out even if you grow a few hundred dollars worth of produce it adds up over a decade and you can't beat the taste of fresh from the garden.

Jim
summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

These are things I do/have done:

Changed to another insurance co with better coverage and saved $1k this year.

Clip coupons and buy when the items are on sale. Saved approximately $500 last year.

Mow my yard. Saves $800 a year.

Paint and do most maintenance on my house. Saved $500 when I stained the new fence.

Turn my fountain pumps off at night. Saves electricity and doubles the life of the pumps.

Divide plants. When something interesting grows in the yard and looks nice, I leave it. Try to use only drought resistant plants, thereby using less water.

Do my own taxes.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
These are things I do/have done:

Changed to another insurance co with better coverage and saved $1k this year.

Clip coupons and buy when the items are on sale. Saved approximately $500 last year.

Mow my yard. Saves $800 a year.

Paint and do most maintenance on my house. Saved $500 when I stained the new fence.

Turn my fountain pumps off at night. Saves electricity and doubles the life of the pumps.

Divide plants. When something interesting grows in the yard and looks nice, I leave it. Try to use only drought resistant plants, thereby using less water.

Do my own taxes.
Mowin the grass is also good exercise. I guess providing you are using a push mower..
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:28 PM   #46
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
...raised my score to over 900.
900 out of 850 possible ?...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:27 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

[quote=bbbamI;799421]These are things I do/have done:

I've recently become 'interested' in our electricity consumption and bought a cheap plug-in meter to guage each appliance's use......man did I get some surprises!

Microwave, just sitting there doing nuffin in p'ticlar, chewing through 70 watts, we don't even look at the digital time it displays!

Washing-machine, plugged in but not operating, happily wastes 28 watts.

All the wall-warts and 'convenience' indicator lights in the house were 'conveniencing' us to the tune of around $150+ per year. Together with the two above examples I think that by turning all those appliances off at the plug when not actually required will save us $500+/year.

I thought we were reasonably frugal with our use of electricity, but that little $30 investment in the meter has shown us otherwise and definitely paid off.

Of course it all depends on your local electricity costs, but it sure could pay to find out exactly what you are using at the individual appliance level.

Cheers - Mick
mbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post

An unrelated money-saving tip: In the summer, I keep the thermostat as warm as is comfortable, and wear nearly nothing
Ya Baby!!
Old 03-24-2009, 08:12 AM   #49

My best money savings tip: payroll deductions.

Money I see in my account is easy to spend. Money I don't see in my account doesn't seem to have that effect. I've adjusted (takes a few months) to higher and lower income levels. By deducting pay before it gets deposited, my natural tendency to spend most of the money I see will bring my spending in line with my plan. If I want to spend less, I just increase the deduction. Sounds kind of silly, but it works for me.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:16 AM   #50

I do my own car maintenance. Oil changes, tire rotation, brake jobs, wiper changes, battery and light replacement, etc. Pretty sure I saved a lot of $, at the expense of my time (and knuckles sometimes).
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I dropped all but basic cable - bill went from about $70 per month to $14.95. I went from 3 at a time Netflix to 1 at a time - $9 per month, I'm getting about 8 movies a month.

Shop at Aldi's.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #52

Dropped Cable Phone Service and went to F&F Cell Phone Only @ $10 a month: Savings about $35 a month.
Dropped "Extended" Basic Cable TV Service and went to pure Basic for $16 a month: Savings about $20 a month.
Have always serviced my own car (Oil & Filter Changes, Wheel Rotation (all 5 which saves about 20% over the 4 wheel rotation, brakes, etc.,). Also went to a single vehicle about 15 years ago.
Set Back Thermostat 80 in summer and 55/65 in winter.
All purchases possible are put on "cash back" PENFED Visa Card.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
900 out of 850 possible ?...

Pays in advance.......
Old 03-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've been threatening to do that for a couple of years. I'd miss a few Bears and Cubs games a year now that ESPN somehow got rights to do a few exclusively. DW watches some movies, cooking and other stuff on cable channels. But when I tally up the hours we spend watching stuff only available on cable, they turn our to be pretty pricey hours. $55/mo for cable and we spend maybe 20 - 25 hours/mo watching cable channels.

I'm about ready to pull the switch. DW is a little hesitant. She has come around a little since I installed a digital converter box on her Mom's TV (MIL uses only OTA, can't afford cable) and she has seen that there are a number of new, extra channels available OTA inlcuding a dedicated weather channel, etc.

Note: We live in suburban Chicago and a simple antenna gets us a lot of OTA signals. I think if you live in the boonies, you have a different problem as you might require a big outdoor antenna to get just a few OTA channels. BTW, that was how cable TV started. It was called CATV (Conmmunity Accesss TV) and was simply a large comminity antenna system fed to subscribers houses so that each house didn't require a tall tower and rotary antenna. Then it expanded to picking up satellite signals directly. And finally cable channels (programming never broadcast over the air) came into plan.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I've been threatening to do that for a couple of years. I'd miss a few Bears and Cubs games a year now that ESPN somehow got rights to do a few exclusively. DW watches some movies, cooking and other stuff on cable channels. But when I tally up the hours we spend watching stuff only available on cable, they turn our to be pretty pricey hours. $55/mo for cable and we spend maybe 20 - 25 hours/mo watching cable channels.
Same here. But we only get about 8 different stations with a total of about 12 subchannels (and two are in Spanish). And that's only with two large, high-gain antennas mounted to the side of our garage above the roofline, since we're 60 miles away from the Austin transmitters and have some ridges of hills in the middle.

Nevertheless, I think if we pick up a DVR to use with HD signals over-the-air, we can at least record stuff that's halfway decent on free TV and use stuff like Netflix and Hulu to pick up the slack. In September our two-year commitment to satellite is over and we may decide to cut nearly a grand a year out of the budget.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Eat at home always, except for special occasions and for "cravings" on don't-feel-like-cooking nights.
Use artifical flowers (not real) in a vase during cold weather to brighten up the table and living room. Rotate locations every month.
Shop at dollar type stores exclusively for canned and dry goods. Bring a list.
Volunteer at and be a customer of a local food bank.
Limit driving (more than 10 miles) to going only if you have 2 or more errands that day. Or match a just for fun driving outing anywhere
with accomplishing 2 or more errands on the same trip.
Frequent garage sales for books, gardening items, sports equipment, appliances, etc.
Cook in bulk in a crockpot, freeze leftovers.
Shop online for lightweight items, use local stores for heavier items.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:15 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm ready to drop cable. Comcast has upgraded to a digital network requiring basic users and extended basic users to add converter boxes and adapters or risk losing channels. We complied and now the channels change much slower and the remotes that need to be used with the adapters are "junk". I'm going to investigate using an antenna. We only watch TV at night for a couple of hours anyway. It would save us over $58 plus taxes/monthly.
Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Make our own laundry detergent using
How to Make Your Own Laundry Detergent - wikiHow Method 1. We use Fels Naptha Soap. It is very easy to make and it does a better job than Tide and such.

tmm
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bud...What's-Out

Quote:
Consumers are cooling to cable. And they're not very satisfied with satellite TV. In fact, according to consumer research firm GfK Roper Consulting, about 40% of those surveyed during mid-2008 and early 2009 said they'd be willing to do without cable or satellite TV. Instead, they'd just as soon watch programming on free sites like Google's YouTube or buy videos à la carte from Netflix. Of those surveyed, only 37% said they were getting good value for the price they pay for cable or satellite subscriptions.
The trend is showing up at some of the biggest cable and satellite TV providers. Subscriber totals dropped last year for Comcast, Dish Networks, and Cablevision Systems, while Netflix sales are growing apace, and traffic to video sites including Hulu, owned by General Electric and News Corp., is surging.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:14 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Thanks for that! Having dropped my cable down to basic ($14.95), the one thing I've really missed is Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares.

I just watched two episodes on Hulu.com.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote