Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Better yet, stay single.
Ok....Eldrick..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #202
Give me a forum ...

Just found out we could downsize our garbage can because we do so much recycling now. Saves around $6/month.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:27 AM   #203
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Marry the right person, and stay married.........
And the second part of that sentence is much (repeat MUCH) more important than the first.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #204
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Better yet, stay single.
Way too expensive... in so many ways.

A hint can be found in Zen Budhism: "One plus one equals one."
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #205
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Two can live so cheaply as one...if one doesn't eat: another saying.
Where I find the biggest hardship being single is traveling as hotel rooms for 2 makes it cheaper for each person.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #206
Give me a forum ...

Should be easy to find another single traveller and economize!
Old 12-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #207
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
True but other cost like property taxes stay the same no matter how many people are in the household. Also the extra person can mow the lawn, get moss off the roof, put up Christmas lights, change my oil besides paying for his own food and something to me for his share of housing cost.

I didn't marry him but if he moved out or died it would cost me more than $1,000 a month in lost income and chores I would have to hire done
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #208
Recycles dryer sheets

The last car repair I had we took to a dealer located in a neighboring city where the home and land prices area bit cheaper than the city where we live, and the repairs were about half of what the local dealer would have charged.

I think both dealerships were charging basically what the local markets would bear. So it was well worth the trip for major repair work to go out of town to a less expensive city.

I know going to the car dealer isn't probably very frugal, but we don't know much about cars and whenever we have tried the little corner places the work hasn't been done right and we had to pay extra to have things redone at the dealers anyway.
TooFrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:43 AM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Where I find the biggest hardship being single is traveling as hotel rooms for 2 makes it cheaper for each person.
Which is why a possible trip with Exploritas(formerly Elderhostel) is appealing to me as the single supplement doesn't rock you. I don't mind paying somewhat more but I am very opposed to paying the "for two" rate or buy one get one free when I don't need the "free".
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #210
Give me a forum ...

Get one of those Foodsaver vaccum sealers. Great for saving buying in bulk and freezing/sealing/saving, sealing extra portions, or keeping snacks (chips, pretzels, cookies, etc.) fresh.
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #211
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just found out we could downsize our garbage can because we do so much recycling now. Saves around $6/month.
Find out whether you city has a "blue bag" type program. Here, we can buy big blue bags for about $7.50. They will pick those up at during trash rounds at no additional charge. You then cancel your regularly scheduled pickup.

With recycling and composting, we only use about one of those per month.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #212
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Find out whether you city has a "blue bag" type program. Here, we can buy big blue bags for about $7.50. They will pick those up at during trash rounds at no additional charge. You then cancel your regularly scheduled pickup.

With recycling and composting, we only use about one of those per month.
I canceled garbage pickup completely years ago. I hauled recyclables to the center for years, compost all vegetable matter, and had about 1 can of other garbage every 2-3 months. I do a trip to the dump a couple of times a year. Earlier this year, they increased the recyclable stuff and now do free pickups every 2 weeks. It's even better. Saves me lots of money.

I take the meat refuse and put it in a public trash can so it won't be attacked by animals.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:41 AM   #213
Give me a forum ...

Also found out that our garbage pickup allowed for 2 large yard waste containers instead of just one. I like to garden and generally fill these up each week. Haven't gotten into composing yet and a lot of the yard waste is large branches and stuff that would not compost quickly.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #214
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I canceled garbage pickup completely years ago. I hauled recyclables to the center for years, compost all vegetable matter, and had about 1 can of other garbage every 2-3 months. I do a trip to the dump a couple of times a year. Earlier this year, they increased the recyclable stuff and now do free pickups every 2 weeks. It's even better. Saves me lots of money.

I take the meat refuse and put it in a public trash can so it won't be attacked by animals.
Tesaje, I see from your signature line that you only have three more weeks? How exciting!! You are almost there.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
For the ladies only....personal hygiene products
Old 12-29-2009, 06:56 AM   #215

For the ladies only....personal hygiene products

THE KEEPER® THE MOON CUP® Manufacturer, Home Office, Distribution Headquarters

Beats paying too much $$$ for personal hygiene products!

The competitor is the Diva Cup (Home - The DivaCup, an innovative menstrual cup the best alternative to Tampons and Pads)

Have the mooncup - highly recommend it!

Cut down my expenses for this category!!
Re: Post #188 here
Old 01-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #216

Re: Post #188 here

In Post #188 on this thread I mentioned that maybe it is worth it to buy good/well made things like my Grandma used to have a philosophy as I paid $75 for $150 Prada wallet on sale maybe 10 years ago now from Overstock.com. Today I was looking for the same wallet for fun, and find that wallet is now worth $480!
What kind of fool pays $480 for a wallet? Regardless, here it is as proof:

Top left corner (mine's in black, this one is in white):

Saks.com

Now if I could only get my MONEY to INFLATE like that, eh? Just ridiculous the escalation on this price....good grief. Oh well...I figure I have another good 10 years out of this one wallet as it's still standing up well. But $480? Uh.....no.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #217
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
...buy good/well made things like my Grandma used to have a philosophy as I paid $75 for $150 Prada wallet on sale.... Today I was looking for the same wallet for fun, and find that wallet is now worth $480!
That would create such a bidding war on eBay.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #218

Quote:
In Post #188 on this thread I mentioned that maybe it is worth it to buy good/well made things like my Grandma used to have a philosophy as I paid $75 for $150 Prada wallet on sale maybe 10 years ago now from Overstock.com. Today I was looking for the same wallet for fun, and find that wallet is now worth $480!
Obviously you have good taste!

Maybe the next time you stumble upon a great deal on a quality item, you should buy two - one for you and one for an investment.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Hey - I just finished reviewing our 2008 tax return and a huge money saving method became glaringly obvious to me:

Don't pay taxes!

(Just kidding!)

but I can fantasize for a day or two can't i?

Audrey
where's the offshore living thread?
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #220
Give me a forum ...

My best money saving tip is: stay away from malls!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote