What is your best money saving tip?

A lot of people laugh at the idea of using coupons, but over the years they have literally saved us tens of thousands of dollars.

I wish Sam's Clubs took coupons, I would shop there more than I do........

Buy during Black Friday week. I sold a newish yet out-of-date atlas recently at a profit and saw another one I thought I would like better for $27.20 as an Amazon Black Friday special, thinking if it isn't what I have in mind I could again re-sell. Today Amazon is offering it for $50.40 new and the lowest used price is $42.99 for used acceptable condition; of course mine is currently in used, like new condition.

I'm thinking about buying an expensive electronic gadget but will wait for November specials; that should give me plenty of time to research it and decide which brand/model to go with, or possibly I will no longer want it by then, saving the entire amount.

For the past 6 months I've been using Skype for making overseas telephone calls to those friends/relatives that don't have PC's for free skype to skype calls.

Great quality and extremely easy to use. e.g. Calls to UK phone numbers are 2.1c / minute.

Okay, don't laugh!! One of my biggest money-savers has been clipping/using coupons. Here's an example from yesterday of what I do:

Yesterday I bought (3) packages of Finish Dishwasher Gel Packs (20 count), (4) Reach Total Clean Toothbrushes, (10) 6 oz. boxes of Chips Ahoy cookies, and (14) 16 oz. bottles of Coffee Mate creamer. After manufacturer's coupons and store promotions, I paid $8.65 out of pocket for all the products. In addition I "earned" a $5 coupon that can be spent on almost anything the next time I go into the store, so my actual total cost for everything was $3.65. The retail value of the products was over $84.

I get multiple copies of the coupons out of the Sunday paper each week. When items that we use (or can donate to the local food pantry) go on sale at their rock bottom price, I buy several using coupons. I pay no more than pennies on the dollar and often times even make money buying products. When we need anything we simply go to the kitchen pantry or the storage under the bathroom sinks or to the cabinets in the laundry room. There is no such thing as running out and paying $6.59 for a 32-load bottle of HE All Small & Mighty. I just grab one off the shelf in the laundry room for which I paid $.50 - a savings of 92%.

I took the pregnancy route to retirement 23 years ago (actually took a layoff because I was pregnant) and it killed me that I was not contributing financially to the household. Then I remembered how my mom used to save money. Benjamin Franklin said, "A penny saved, is a penny earned." I thought, "I may not be able to earn money (from a paycheck), but I sure as heck can save it!!"

A lot of people laugh at the idea of using coupons, but over the years they have literally saved us tens of thousands of dollars.

one of my favorite B Frankline quotes is along the lines of "the wood you will buy for a fireplace will cost you more than the actual fireplace" ....illustrating the evil of monthly expense commitments

we discovered coupons when outfitting our second home in Florida. We were walking out of BBB with cartloads day after day...and a friendly teller told us we should be using coupons...and that we could buy them on ebay.

We were able to go back and get the discounts retroactively, not only using expired coupons, but as well expired coupons of other stores!

Buy during Black Friday week. I sold a newish yet out-of-date atlas recently at a profit and saw another one I thought I would like better for $27.20 as an Amazon Black Friday special, thinking if it isn't what I have in mind I could again re-sell. Today Amazon is offering it for $50.40 new and the lowest used price is $42.99 for used acceptable condition; of course mine is currently in used, like new condition.

I'm thinking about buying an expensive electronic gadget but will wait for November specials; that should give me plenty of time to research it and decide which brand/model to go with, or possibly I will no longer want it by then, saving the entire amount.

gosh, it never occured to me that you could time arbitrage amazon products!

We don't eat out a lot, but when we do, we try to go wherever we have a coupon from restaurant.com.

Details: You normally buy a $25 coupon (must spend $35, alcohol/taxes not included) at their website for $10. However, I wait until they offer an 80% off sale. So, I get a $25 coupon for $2. Essentially, if you spend $35, you get $23 off, or actually only spend $12 for that meal.

It's a sweet deal!

For the past 6 months I've been using Skype for making overseas telephone calls to those friends/relatives that don't have PC's for free skype to skype calls.

Great quality and extremely easy to use. e.g. Calls to UK phone numbers are 2.1c / minute.

I found a little box for $25 that allows you to plug your regular phone into the computer and skype, switchable between regular and skype line.

I just press **, and this switches me into skype mode for calls ...using our regular phone.

I have used MajicJack for almost a year now (booted the landline) and I actually rarely hook it up to computer to make outgoing calls but I DO use it for when I need to give a phone number out but do not want to give my cell number. This works great because, since it is not hooked up, the calls go straight to voicemail and a file containing the message is sent to my email which I can then listen to on my cell or a computer.

So anyways I went online to renew for another year ($20) and they have a 5 year extension deal that costs $70 ($14 per year) _-- I jumped on that for a nice 30% per year discount. Nice to have a consistent phone number to use as a backup and if for any reason I need to drop cellphone (to save $$) I will still have unlimited local and long distance anywhere I have an internet connection and I can hook up my little usb MajicJack!

Yes..I'm a coupon clipper too. Last year I saved $422 using coupons.

I was subscribing to the Sunday paper at a cost of $30 every three months. Then the next bill I got, the subscription had gone up 40%. So, I checked out my city's newspaper. There is only one paper a week, but it had the same coupons and cost $25 a year. :facepalm:

Yep...I changed.

ooma has performed flawlessly for 2 months. One time committment of $200 then no more phone bill.

Pennies

Whenever I see a penny on the ground, I pick it up, and of course make a wish, but I put it in an old glass water jug. Whenever I clean out my purse, I take only the pennies and put them in the jar and I just keep adding and watch it fill up! No, it doesn't fill up quickly, but when I get to a point that I really need something...I cash it all in. For instance, when I bought a home I needed a lawn mower, and what I saved in pennies, paid for my lawnmower, which is electric. - I laugh when I hear people make off the hand comments if they see me pick up change off the ground, even a penny, like "how disgusting!", but I am the one laughing...and hey, it's not like I put the money in my mouth!! Geeezzz!

one of my favorite B Frankline quotes is along the lines of "the wood you will buy for a fireplace will cost you more than the actual fireplace" ....illustrating the evil of monthly expense commitments

we discovered coupons when outfitting our second home in Florida. We were walking out of BBB with cartloads day after day...and a friendly teller told us we should be using coupons...and that we could buy them on ebay.

We were able to go back and get the discounts retroactively, not only using expired coupons, but as well expired coupons of other stores!

Yes, those would be the 20% off any single item, the $5/$15 or the $10/$30 BBB coupons. I never go there without them!! Which other store's coupons can you use there these days? I used to use Linens N Things, but they're not around any more.

yes it was LNT at that time.

they sternly warned us that they would no longer honour those coupons once LNT finally went under

we just laughed after. In Canada, they never honour expired coupons or coupons of other retailers.

Canadian retail is so anal, you have to ask for a key to go to the washroom at Canadian Tire!

Yes, those would be the 20% off any single item, the $5/$15 or the $10/$30 BBB coupons. I never go there without them!! Which other store's coupons can you use there these days? I used to use Linens N Things, but they're not around any more.

this from a coupon website discussion:

"I work for BBB and I want to clarify a few things for you fine folks. First of all, unfortunately not all BBB's take expired coupons, it does vary from district to district. For example, AZ takes them, MN does not, etc. However if you are very nice, and ask to speak to a manager...oftentimes they will take one or two of the expired coupons, but not always.

Also any "coupons" that you get in your e-mail are called "saving certificates" and most BBB's do not accept expired ones since multiple copies can obviously be printed.

They are always happy to accept competitor coupons that are current and are for items that both we and the competitor carry. (This is our policy, if they try to say otherwise, be polite and ask for a manager ALWAYS) For example: they will absolutely honor a 40% off coupon from JoAnn Fabrics if used on a piece of framed art, however they will not honor a 40% off coupon from JoAnn Fabrics on a cookware set since JoAnn does not carry cookware."

I have three tips.

(1) Along the lines of what Ziggy was saying, above: when I have several things in mind that I would like to do in the near future, and do not significantly prefer one to the other, I do the free things first.

Amazing how that lowers costs. You wouldn't think it would, but it does.

(2) An unrelated money-saving tip: In the summer, I keep the thermostat as warm as is comfortable, and wear nearly nothing and drink lots of ice water. In the winter I keep it as cool as is comfortable, and wear warm clothing and sit with a blanket on my lap.

What starts out being only a couple of degrees warmer or colder at first, ends up being a good ten degrees difference by the end of the season because the body acclimates as the season progresses.

To assist me in this, I have my programmable thermostat set with a default of 85 in the summer and 60 in the winter. If I do the manual override to, say, 70 in the winter, it will stay there for a couple of hours and then starts to drift colder. When I notice it is too cold, I manually raise it by just a degree or two.

(3) Another money-saving tip: choose your friends wisely. If your friends are not extravagant, you are less likely to spend money foolishly.

OK, adding to or expanding on these tips:

Don't base your self worth on what you buy. Develop other interests that don't involve going to stores. Don't browse online shopping websites.

Reconsider what the word "need" means to you. For example, do I actually need a garlic press, when I went without one for 40 years? I bought one as a treat to myself when I inherited, because I always wanted another one but wouldn't buy one due to my miserly/LBYM habits and striving for ER. But had I not bought one, I would still be managing just fine because this was a want, not a need.

Think about your life, and everything you have bought over your entire life. Does one human being really need that much stuff to maintain life and to be happy? Whatever happens to all this stuff is one of the Great Mysteries of the Universe.

Remember, it doesn't matter how much you save on an item if you are constantly spending! You will save more if you just don't shop at all than if you buy, buy, buy even if what you buy is a good deal.

So stay home and read a book, check the forum, or do something else. Try to find happiness in the context of what you have already accumulated, rather than falling for the unspoken fallacy of "If I just buy THIS, I will be happy." That is not the key to happiness. Look inside to find out what is.

excellent point. you can also redirect the shopping impulse by going nuts at the dollar store (20 items for 20 bucks!) or shopping garage sales.

Whenever I see a penny on the ground, I pick it up, and of course make a wish, but I put it in an old glass water jug. Whenever I clean out my purse, I take only the pennies and put them in the jar and I just keep adding and watch it fill up! No, it doesn't fill up quickly, but when I get to a point that I really need something...I cash it all in. For instance, when I bought a home I needed a lawn mower, and what I saved in pennies, paid for my lawnmower, which is electric. - I laugh when I hear people make off the hand comments if they see me pick up change off the ground, even a penny, like "how disgusting!", but I am the one laughing...and hey, it's not like I put the money in my mouth!! Geeezzz!

While you are stooping to pick up a penny, someone could be lifting your wallet. I think I'll let pennies lie.

ha

Reconsider what the word "need" means to you. For example, do I actually need a garlic press, when I went without one for 40 years? I bought one as a treat to myself when I inherited, because I always wanted another one but wouldn't buy one due to my miserly/LBYM habits and striving for ER. But had I not bought one, I would still be managing just fine because this was a want, not a need.
If a garlic press is your inheritance splurge, I think you are safe from any charges of loose spending. :)

Ha

If a garlic press is your inheritance splurge, I think you are safe from any charges of loose spending. :)

Ha

:2funny: Well, I spent more than that (maybe about $2K) including a color laser printer, computer, and wireless router, plus some other things in the garlic press category (little but wanted though not needed) like real salt and pepper shakers. :D

was given a lemon/lime press this Christmas, like this one: Sturdy Cast Aluminum Lemon Juicer - Fruit & Vegetable Tools
Really works! That is, once I was told the cut portion of the lemon faces the concave area of the press and the convex surfaces of lemon and press touch. Pretty much turns the lemon inside out. Doesn't save any money, but this and a micro-plane zester made me happy, so if happy doesn't cost much maybe that's a savings.

Little pleasures.

was given a lemon/lime press this Christmas, like this one: Sturdy Cast Aluminum Lemon Juicer - Fruit & Vegetable Tools
Really works! That is, once I was told the cut portion of the lemon faces the concave area of the press and the convex surfaces of lemon and press touch. Pretty much turns the lemon inside out. Doesn't save any money, but this and a micro-plane zester made me happy, so if happy doesn't cost much maybe that's a savings.

Little pleasures.

Didn't cost you a thing if it was a gift! I am glad you like it. :D Cynic that I am, I'll bet that in 10 years it will be in a landfill, though.

On the topic of landfills - - when I think of how much of what we buy ends up there, it makes me think that much of what we buy is to satisfy some sort of "nut gathering" urge rather than because we actually need most of this stuff. In a sense people could seem like funnels which gather together mountains of "stuff" throughout their long lives, transform it into trash, and funnel it off to landfills. Not that I am immune to this!

Maybe today I am feeling a little overly cynical regarding humanity (ya think? :2funny:)

Last edited:
I found a $4 charge on my savings account statement 'Maintenance' so-called.

Off I went to my bank - nonono! I said - cancel that or close the account!

The charge 'tis cancelled.

MY money, mine-mine-mine :::channelling Scroge McDuck:::

ta,
mew

• Keep the minimum in your checking account that will avoid fees, and transfer any surplus into a high interest account.
  • Pay for everything with a credit card because it will be ~6 weeks before that money leaves your bank account.
  • Never, ever, incur credit card debt.
  • Never, ever, use your credit card to get cash out of an ATM. They start charging interest right away.
  • Never use a credit card that doesn't do something for you. It may be cashback or frequent flyer points, but whatever it is, use the benefits.
  • If your local favourite restaurant has a "pasta night" go, order the special, eat half, and bring the rest home in a doggie bag for tomorrow night.
  • If you incur w*rk related expenses such as parking, submit every last one of them for reimbursement.
  • If you can, incorporate your business or profession; defer your taxes as long as possible by paying yourself dividends only when you need them; set up a corporate health plan so that you can expense your noninsured health costs.
  • If you are in demand for public speaking, develop a marketing statement about how wonderful you are. Recognize that time devoted to this has an opportunity cost. Determine what your requirements are (expenses plus honorarium) and when invited to speak, make them clear. You will be surprised at how many organizations will not bat an eye!
  • If Canadian, when in Alberta, shop for easy to carry stuff you would buy anyway (e.g. underwear). There's no provincial sales tax.

Back
Top Bottom