What is your best money saving tip?

bank5

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm sure people have some great tips on here.

Not sure if this is my "greatest" tip but I recently started calling the companies that I pay on a monthly/yearly basis (home insurance, car insurance, internet, phone, etc). I simply tell them how long I've been with the company and ask if there is any way to lower my payments or if there are any current deals for their customers. I'll probably save close to a $1000 this year simply from placing a few calls. Seems like business are really trying to keep their customers and give them a break during these tough economic times. Sometimes you get someone who isn't as friendly so I'll keep the conversation short and call back a couple days later to get someone else.

Not sure if this is my "greatest" tip but I recently started calling the companies that I pay on a monthly/yearly basis (home insurance, car insurance, internet, phone, etc). I simply tell them how long I've been with the company and ask if there is any way to lower my payments or if there are any current deals for their customers. I'll probably save close to a $1000 this year simply from placing a few calls. Seems like business are really trying to keep their customers and give them a break during these tough economic times. Sometimes you get someone who isn't as friendly so I'll keep the conversation short and call back a couple days later to get someone else.

This sounds quite good. Could you give concrete examples of the companies or types of companies you have called and what they did for you?

Ha

That has worked with my cable company the last 2 times for 6months a stretch. We usually get discounted service and hbo+stars for free. I usually call and flat out ask if they are offering discounts to long term subscribers.

I recently discovered that you can put Netflix on hold. I'll be taking 90 days off starting at the end of the week. I'm retired now and am too busy to watch all those movies.

Learn to enjoy life without a lot of stuff -- learn to enjoy the free or nearly free pleasures of life. It's a change of mindset, but if you can accomplish it and don't need a lot of "stuff" to make you happy, there's really no better way to save more of what you earn.

When you're driving and need to clear the windshield with washer fluid, don't hold down the windshield washer spray lever giving one steady stream, but pulsate it instead in short bursts.

You can save dollars every year if you drive where your windshield gets dirty frequently. :)

If you have the time, go to work on improving your credit score. It's worth a lot of money on your insurance premiums. You should do all three credit bureaus because different companies use different bureaus. I saved over $500/yr on my car insurance alone. Not that I had bad credit, but that my credit score wasn't at the upper level. Insurance co told me why I didn't get their best rate and I went to work correcting that. It was because Trans Union had bad information about me Working with them, I corrected the information and it raised my score to over 900. Went back to Progressive with the information and they lowered my premiums. Well worth the time spent.

Learn to enjoy life without a lot of stuff -- learn to enjoy the free or nearly free pleasures of life. It's a change of mindset, but if you can accomplish it and don't need a lot of "stuff" to make you happy, there's really no better way to save more of what you earn.

Well.....sorta. But we find that doing things and having experiences is more costly than staying home with "stuff." Entertainment, vacations and that sort of thing far surpasses our "stuff buying" expenditures. Just coming down your way for a couple weeks of fishing on Lake LBJ last winter cost me more than a new plasma large screen TV!

Oh yeah, those "free or nearly free pleasures of life," they're OK but seeing Jersey Boys at $90/ticket was sure a lot more enjoyable than sitting on a blanket at the gazebo in our local park listening to the local amateur musicians give a free concert!

I get your point Zig, but I'll have to work on DW if we're going to cut out "stuff" and "experiences." ;)

When you're driving and need to clear the windshield with washer fluid, don't hold down the windshield washer spray lever giving one steady stream, but pulsate it instead in short bursts.

You can save dollars every year if you drive where your windshield gets dirty frequently. :)

I have printed your post and taped it to the dashboard of DW's car! :)

Heaven help me when she sees it! :dead:

If you're still working, beg, plead and whine to get them to allow you telecommute. Even if it is just one day a week at first, you can save substantial money on gas, mileage on your car and it is less stressful. If you can swing full time telecommuting, like I thankfully have, you can save hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars a month. If you telecommute full time, you and your significant other, could possibly get by on one car, saving a ton right there. I don't pay for dry cleaning, new clothes, gas, mileage on the car, etc. I realize not everyone can do this, but if there is anyway you can swing it, it is the best advice I have to offer for painlessly saving a lot of money (and stress).

I think the best way to save money is not to invest in the stock market when you know it's going to go down.:whistle:

I have printed your post and taped it to the dashboard of DW's car! :)

Heaven help me when she sees it! :dead:

Likely that more retirements have been destroyed by divorce than by overuse of windshield washer fluids, but I could be wrong.

I just might make a separate categoy in MS Money for Windhield Wiper Fluids. This could be the budget breakthrough I have been seeking.

Ha

Likely that more retirements have been destroyed by divorce than by overuse of windshield washer fluids, but I could be wrong.

I think you just might be right. And it hits home.

A week from Saturday marks our 39th yr of wedded bliss. I have been blatantly negligent in providing adequate recognition of past anniversaries. But this year I think I'm going to ignore the concept of "forgetting about your anniversary as a money saving tip" and go ahead and buy something for DW. Now, if I could only think of what........ A gal of window washer fluid? :) Or, since divorce can be an expensive proposition, perhaps getting her somethng appropriate and nice might actually turn out to be the most "money saving" thing I could do? :flowers:

I have three tips.

(1) Along the lines of what Ziggy was saying, above: when I have several things in mind that I would like to do in the near future, and do not significantly prefer one to the other, I do the free things first.

Amazing how that lowers costs. You wouldn't think it would, but it does.

(2) An unrelated money-saving tip: In the summer, I keep the thermostat as warm as is comfortable, and wear nearly nothing and drink lots of ice water. In the winter I keep it as cool as is comfortable, and wear warm clothing and sit with a blanket on my lap.

What starts out being only a couple of degrees warmer or colder at first, ends up being a good ten degrees difference by the end of the season because the body acclimates as the season progresses.

To assist me in this, I have my programmable thermostat set with a default of 85 in the summer and 60 in the winter. If I do the manual override to, say, 70 in the winter, it will stay there for a couple of hours and then starts to drift colder. When I notice it is too cold, I manually raise it by just a degree or two.

(3) Another money-saving tip: choose your friends wisely. If your friends are not extravagant, you are less likely to spend money foolishly.

:) Or, since divorce can be an expensive proposition, perhaps getting her somethng appropriate and nice might actually turn out to be the most "money saving" thing I could do? :flowers:

How about a huge bouquet of flowers or if you are feeling flush jewelry is always nice ?

I just might make a separate categoy in MS Money for Windhield Wiper Fluids. This could be the budget breakthrough I have been seeking.

Ha

Yes we could identify it as your "Washer Fluid Factor" and if you invested this money you too can be rich in 100 years :D

Then we can sell a lot of books and get rich ourselves :cool:

This sounds quite good. Could you give concrete examples of the companies or types of companies you have called and what they did for you?

Ha

Home insurance - It seemed like my dwelling was over insured. I called and they ran their "estimator". It was over insured and it lowered my insurance by 40% - over $400. I also called a few months back and the lady recommended raising my deductible from $500 to $1000 saving a decent amount.

Car insurance - I was recently married and called about my wife's insurance. The guy recommended combining both cars onto the same policy saving 20% on her car premium.

TV - I was paying ~$40 on Dish Network. I called saying I wanted to cancel. The lady told me about a loyal customer package for $10 (+$5 for local channels). I have just about the same channels as the $40 package.

Internet - I have DSL and thought you needed a land phone line with it. I then read this about AT&T having to provide "naked" dsl. Naked AT&T DSL Expands - Though AT&T still doesn't tell anyone about it... - dslreports.com

Learn how to minimize your car insurance.

Buy stuff you need at garage/rummage sales.

Use your library for DVD videos. We take out about 6 per week. Savings over NetFlix: $1,080 (over 10 years).

Fix your own stuff (dishwasher, washing machine, DVR, etc.).

Use your library for DVD videos. We take out about 6 per week. Savings over NetFlix: $1,080 (over 10 years).

Hulu.com is also a great website to stream tv shows and movies. Library is good to save on books too.

Learn to do math. Most people won't pay a capital expense to avoid eternal monthly fees, but sometimes the payback is well worth the investment.

Houses & cars-- buy 'em used and run 'em into the ground.

Avoid hobbies that require collecting & storing & arranging possessions.

Like T-Al said, public libraries & Goodwill & garage sales.

Check the unclaimed property web site for your state. DW did that on a whim a year or two ago, and we came out $1700 richer - some old awards from a class action suit were waiting for me.

Back
Top Bottom