Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-23-2008, 08:01 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
I keep every investment listed on my Excel spreadsheet. I update it on a regular basis which only takes a few minutes since it normally just involves entering the closing price per share for each fund.
This is what I do, too. I have the same Excel workbook at home and at work. I enter share prices (and thus the dollar value) of my funds manually, every day at closing, at home. I do the same at work when I first arrive in the morning. It takes almost no time at all and I enjoy doing it.

I have no desire to have the share prices entered automatically, or they would be entered automatically.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I get a precise count only quarterly but since I retired in Sept. I'm doing a monthly estimate by a patchwork of methods: web, phone, and snail mail statements.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

my method of tracking my portfolio?

i just walk over to the edge and look down.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
my method of tracking my portfolio?

i just walk over to the edge and look down.
Cummon, jump in, the water's fine!
Old 10-24-2008, 03:19 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

As others have said - I use Quicken and, Excel for asset allocation.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:59 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quicken and Excel. Quicken for the big picture on net worth tracking and daily budgeting. Excel for tracking dividend income and big expenditure savings..taxes, son's college, house repairs, etc. The portfolio is fairly simple so don't need a major tool for that.

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis” Margaret Bonnano
gandalf42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:11 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, some of you do a lot! OK, I went to Vanguard where I have the most assets and set up my accounts for Portfolio Watch, which is great because I can see up-to-date info on my accounts. However, I also want something that:
  • gives me a pie chart (or some other visual) to tell me about my entire asset allocation
  • something that tracks each fund I have investment in to show changes in the price over a period of time
  • something that shows how my portfolio has changed/tanked over time like in a line graph (for example I can easily go to a specific date to find out what the entire portfolio was compared to today... ewww)
But I'm looking for something where all the info can be at one place, not where I have to go to one site for one thing and another site for another piece of info. And in some fashion like Portfolio Watch where it doesn't require lots of data entry and is easy to use.

For example, I just set up something in Yahoo Finance where I input 5 funds for my trial run. Looks like I can input how many shares I own as well, but I want an easy way to look at the entire portfolio over time based on the info.

I also don't have Quicken and Excel, and my hands hurt a lot, so that's why it's hard for me to do a lot of data entry, especially the initial part to get started.

Sorry, I'm not sure if I'm asking for something too complicated or not. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2008, 06:29 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiringby50 View Post
However, I also want something that:
I think that this exists. It was mentioned how to get it free earlier in this thread.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiringby50 View Post
Wow, some of you do a lot! OK, I went to Vanguard where I have the most assets and set up my accounts for Portfolio Watch, which is great because I can see up-to-date info on my accounts. However, I also want something that:
  • gives me a pie chart (or some other visual) to tell me about my entire asset allocation
  • something that tracks each fund I have investment in to show changes in the price over a period of time
  • something that shows how my portfolio has changed/tanked over time like in a line graph (for example I can easily go to a specific date to find out what the entire portfolio was compared to today... ewww)
But I'm looking for something where all the info can be at one place, not where I have to go to one site for one thing and another site for another piece of info. And in some fashion like Portfolio Watch where it doesn't require lots of data entry and is easy to use.

For example, I just set up something in Yahoo Finance where I input 5 funds for my trial run. Looks like I can input how many shares I own as well, but I want an easy way to look at the entire portfolio over time based on the info.

I also don't have Quicken and Excel, and my hands hurt a lot, so that's why it's hard for me to do a lot of data entry, especially the initial part to get started.

See my post above regarding cutting and pasting your Yahoo list into Excel for a keyboard-free approach to data entry.

I believe Google has a free online spreadsheet that works like Excel, so maybe you can utilize that.

Update your file once a month this way and save each month as a different file. This way you can go back and get historical amounts for any report you want. I've got electronic monthly files from the early 90s and this system works very well for me.