Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We set ours at 40/60 when I retired 10 years ago. This year I start my pension and in 5 years, SS. I think I will just let it drift up if the market keeps going up and perhaps even buy up if the market tanks. Now that we have skated past the first 10 years where we had no income I can let it ride. Also, I have no more losses from 2009 to offset gains so re-balancing back to 40/60 would cost me money.
jebmke is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We're at about 60/40 and we'll probably stay there for a few more years.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

63/37 equity/fixed income allocation, with a 42-year spending period planned.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Agree, an appropriate allocation is dependent on a number of factors. I have a non-COLAed pension that meets all my current needs, plus I will have near max SS when I take it. Plus, I don't care if I leave a legacy. Would my AA be the same as someone with no pension or SS or that wants to take care of kids after I'm gone?

From age 54 to 65, I've slid my stock holdings from 100% to 60% which is probably overly conservative.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:01 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Agree, an appropriate allocation is dependent on a number of factors. I have a non-COLAed pension that meets all my current needs, plus I will have near max SS when I take it. Plus, I don't care if I leave a legacy. Would my AA be the same as someone with no pension or SS or that wants to take care of kids after I'm gone?
True. The thing about your situation is that you can be about as aggressive, or about as risk-averse, as you are comfortable with -- or anything in between. You could be 90/10 or 20/80 and it would not substantially affect your daily finances in your lifetime (most likely).
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Are you Ben Stein? Why would Ben's AA recommendation be of interest to you?

I'm sitting at about 50/50. Age 73.
the thing is that there'll always be a guru proclaiming he has the magic mix without knowing me or my risk tolerance. Schwab recommends:
  • 110 - AGE = STOCKS
I don't listen to them either as my disposable cash target is 60% of COLA adjusted pension (as the 1st FIRE yr comes to an end that's proving to be more of 75% of pension)
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

We are 60/35/5 and I don't see us ever changing.... once sequence of returns risk is not much of a worry it will be replaced by concerns over inflation and when we get over that hump the net effect is that we will be investing for our heirs and 60/40 isn;t all that bad for them either.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:55 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I have two AAs from my mutual funds. The AA of the taxable account, designed for income production (to get me from age 45 to 60), is 61/36/3 in favor of bonds (bond funds). The AA of the IRA, designed more for some growth, is 52/47/1 in favor of bonds (bond fund). Overall, the AA is 58/40/2.

I have been doing some small, gradual rebalancing from stocks to bonds over the years but for different reasons.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:19 PM   #29

We have somewhere around 50/50 stocks/bonds in mutual funds. But then I would have to add in a good amount of cash and a variety of individual stocks.

Cheers!
Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #30

50/50

Stock: Mainly midcaps with a tilt towards the value side of things. A sprinkling of some large caps (SP500) and some small cap value. We have several accounts (HSA, my rollover IRA, my wife's rollover IRA, a taxable account, a deferred comp account, and current 401K), so the exact mix in each account depends on what's available

Bonds: About 2/3 intermediate treasury and about 1/3 inflation indexed (either TIPs or IBonds). Total Bond in a couple of accounts because that's what's available.

Age 56, DW is 57. At least 3 years from retirement....
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:23 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I have two AAs from my mutual funds. The AA of the taxable account, designed for income production (to get me from age 45 to 60), is 61/36/3 in favor of bonds (bond funds). The AA of the IRA, designed more for some growth, is 52/47/1 in favor of bonds (bond fund). Overall, the AA is 58/40/2.

I have been doing some small, gradual rebalancing from stocks to bonds over the years but for different reasons.
A good way to describe your AA so there is no confusion, is to follow the convention of Equity/Fixed/Cash. (If only two numbers are given, then i'ts Equity/Fixed + Cash) Using this order is a common convention and eliminates the need to specify which is which.

Mine is approximately 61/38/1, similar to yours.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:56 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

At 49: 55/35/10 stock funds/bond funds/cash
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #33

At age 64 72/23/5

But I feel I can be more aggressive since I have a military pension and once both start taking SS our daily needs will be practically met. In addition about 30% of the stocks are in fairly stable utility stocks.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:27 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

The only mutual funds are in DW’s 401k. Everything else is stocks, CDs and real estate. The only exception are $140k in treasury notes and I-Bonds, which is a small percentage of the total. Life is good and we’ve been using our charitable donations.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
What is your mutual fund breakdown?
Old 11-20-2017, 09:42 PM   #35

What is your mutual fund breakdown?

60/40 at age 59 seems to meet my risk tolerance, but Mr. Market hasn't given us a sound ass kicking since I've retired....
Old 11-21-2017, 02:09 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
At 74:

66% equities, 22% Bonds, 12% Cash

Will be re-balancing to a lighter equity position (50%) after 1/1/18.
Just curious. Why not rebalance now if you are so far from what you think your AA should be?
Old 11-21-2017, 05:35 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

65 years 'young':
45% stock funds (US, Int'l small, REITs, Health Sector)
35% bond funds (Intermed Corp, Hi Yld)
20% Sh. term corp bond fund
Old 11-21-2017, 05:58 AM   #38

At 67 about 65/35. Annuity value represents the FI portion so actual portfolio is all equity. All individuall names no ETF’s or heaven forbid mutual funds. Dividend growth strategy on equities.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:01 AM   #40

64 years old..

I have two mutual funds, Vanguard's Wellsely and Wellington funds, which I hold in a combined ratio so that essentially I allocated thusly:

Stocks: Bonds: Cash: 45:50:5

I have run a bunch of calculators and the results don't vary much from 40:60, to 60:40...

When the "Big Correction" hits, I will likely rebalance to something closer to 50:50 (with some cash still handy). But it doesn't really matter.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote