Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My current balance is up 5.95% over BOY balance and 3.47% over target balance. Target balance is calculated using BOY balance and the assumed return from my deterministic long term projections. Target balance takes into account withdrawals. I have a 60/40 AA.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
But, given that the market went up 2%+ yesterday, I'm not sure how meaningful my YTD return is, other than it's positive.
Amen. Or +1. That 2% was comforting to see. It does lessen the significance of YTD returns. Maybe a rebalance opportunity on Monday?

Old 06-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Up The exact % doesn't do much for me.
+1
Old 06-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #24

FYI:
60/40 benchmark is 6.588% YTD based on returns of Vanguard funds:
Total Bond = 2.43%; 40% = .972
Total Market: 9.36%; 60% = 5.616

Old 06-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

My spreadsheet tells me I'm up 10.63% since January 1st as of today. I'm essentially 100% stock funds. I'm at 95.7% of my previous max which is partially the result of paying off the mortgage with proceeds from a bond fund and taxes paid last year when I rearranged my investments to be better in line with my investment approach.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound
5.0% YTD. No addition, no withdrawal.

50% domestic equities, 20% international.
International holding down performance again.

What bothers me is that I am still 7.6% below my all-time high reached in May last year. And that's 2+ years of living expenses (I am using annual expenses as monetary units now). I've got nothing to Wh** about.

I can only get happy when I set a new high. Am I too greedy?
I could have sworn that I have heard from somewhere that "Greed is Good".
Old 06-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I could have sworn that I have heard from somewhere that "Greed is Good".
From Wall Street or a movie in which Michal Douglas was the star??
Old 06-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #28

Quicken says 14.87% - but I assume that's because I'm still accumulating... so it includes my savings ytd.

I like the idea of units that represent a years expenses. Friday's gains were 0.5 years expenses.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

4.48% ytd

34/32/34 AA
Old 06-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #30

Approx. 4% 60/40 stocks and fixed income.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #31

Not doing too well compared to everyone else, only 3.14%, but thats because my mix is 25/35/40. Holding a big pile of cash can hold one back, but it does help me sleep better in these uncertain times while waiting for some buying opportunities. Nice uptick on Friday over European news, but I suspect nothing has really changed there and we will return to the quicksand very soon. Might be a good time to rebalance for some of you.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
So your YTD return is 6.48%. I'm wondering why you ask for YTD, then report a fictitious return.

I''m at about 5.8% which is ahead of my benchmark. (39/30/31)
You caught me. I was intentionally trying to mislead you.

Not really. I had just looked at my own Quicken investment performance report on a YTD basis and the report expresses the return on an annualized basis so that is what I put in.

But I think my half year return is 6.28% rather than 6.48% due to compounding.

6.28% = [(1 + 12.96%)^.5] -1
Old 06-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

"Greed is good." Yes, I did watch that movie, where the character Gordon Gekko made that proclamation.

I do not know how many here share that sentiment, but let's assume for the moment that the above statement is true. Then, the next question is "Are we sufficiently greedy?". Ah, you will see that in order to answer that question, we must first define "greed". Else, how would we know if we have enough of it?

For the definition, I turned to the Web, where I found this.
Greed is the inordinate desire to possess wealth, goods, or objects of abstract value with the intention to keep it for one's self, far beyond the dictates of basic survival and comfort.
Oh boy! Now, we have to define "basic survival and comfort". It's never that simple, I told you. MasterBlaster, are you there? Could you help me out here? Nevermind, I found one of his posts here. There, I do have more than what MasterBlaster has for survival. Actually, too much more! And I am sure there are people who have less than MasterBlaster.

Yet, I want still more. I work "for just one more year". I study different investment and withdrawal strategies in order to maximize my consumption for the remainder of my life, material consumption way above that of MasterBlaster, I remind you. By the way, we do not really know if those pictures are really MasterBlaster's abode, but I always try to take people's words at face value.

That makes me greedy all right. But if greed is good, do I possess enough greed to be really, really good? How would I know? Shouldn't I allow for some margin, by being extra greedy to be safe?

Oh, but what is this? I found the following too.
It (greed) is typically used to criticize those who seek excessive material wealth, although it may apply to the need to feel more excessively moral, social, or otherwise better than someone else.
Umm... I don't know what to make of the above! Strange definition one gets on the Web sometime.

Anyway, the exact lines made by Gordon Gekko in the movie are the following.
"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

Wikipedia says that the inspiration for the movie came from a speech by Ivan Boesky, who said the following in a commencement address at UC Berkeley in 1986.
"Greed is all right, by the way. I want you to know that. I think greed is healthy. You can be greedy and still feel good about yourself".
Of course many of us remember that Boesky was sent to jail later for insider trading.

It seems to me that it is not really relevant whether greed is good or bad. It's what one does to satisfy it that matters. Or more practically, it's the action that may land one in jail, whether you call the specific action good or bad. And jail is bad, yes? At the minimum, I know I don't want jail. That's for sure!
Old 06-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Quicken says 14.87% - but I assume that's because I'm still accumulating... so it includes my savings ytd.

I like the idea of units that represent a years expenses. Friday's gains were 0.5 years expenses.
If the 14.87% is off of the Quicken investment performance report, I think it is the internal rate of return resulting from your beginning of year fair value and cash flow (deposits, withdrawals, reinvested dividends, etc) and the the internal rate of return is converted to an annualized rate.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #35

As for my current 401K, they changed the firm on us in April, so the 1st quarter is about 10% and from April to now is about -2.5%.

As for another firm I am using (Vanguard - I think it was around 130K-150K in equity), it says
YTD Investment return $10K
1 YR Investment return -$3K
3 YR Investment return $45K
5 YR Investment return $6K (Market appreciation was -$20K)

At least I come out in the black for the 5 year run although by not much. I guess it doesn't matter until I need to take the money out.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You caught me. I was intentionally trying to mislead you.

Not really. I had just looked at my own Quicken investment performance report on a YTD basis and the report expresses the return on an annualized basis so that is what I put in.

But I think my half year return is 6.28% rather than 6.48% due to compounding.

6.28% = [(1 + 12.96%)^.5] -1
One should use an XIRR() calculation. I use MSMoney which does that. My mom has Quicken and I know it gives funny results if one doesn't choose dates properly. Even with MSMoney, I gotta use the proper dates. If I set the date for the calculation to be 1/1/2012 to 6/30/2012, then I get an annualized return of 12.1%. If I set the date to be 1/1/2012 to 12/31/2012, then I get 5.8%. A reason that 12.1% is more than twice 5.8% is because of timing of money flows and gains.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

thanks to the nice bump yesterday, our nest egg is up 5.2%. Our AA is 45 equities/50 bonds/5 cash
Old 06-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

up 6.2% YTD 53/42/5
Old 06-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Not doing too well compared to everyone else, only 3.14%, but thats because my mix is 25/35/40. Holding a big pile of cash can hold one back, but it does help me sleep better in these uncertain times while waiting for some buying opportunities.
+1

3.304% for me YTD. I heard this phrase on this site a while back and I use it frequently--"I'm more concerned about the return OF my money than the return ON my money". Anything above zero and i'm happy. Anything above inflation and i'm extremely happy.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #40

7.74 ytd. 60/40 Stock/Bond. Good thing Friday's gains are figured in!