what is your nestegg's YTD return?

pb4uski

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
A good half year. 12.96% (annualized rate) per Quicken investment performance report. :dance: Target AA is 45% domestic equities, 15% international equities and 40% fixed income.

Is this equivalent to a Wh** post?

Not my intent but I haven't seen that thread in a while. There was a thread last January comparing 2011 returns and my intent was for this thread to be a half year update of that one but I couldn't find that old thread so I started a new one.

A good half year. 12.96% (annualized rate) per Quicken investment performance report. :dance: Target AA is 45% domestic equities, 15% international equities and 40% fixed income.

So your YTD return is 6.48%. I'm wondering why you ask for YTD, then report a fictitious return.

I''m at about 5.8% which is ahead of my benchmark. (39/30/31)

Last edited:
And Quicken says, 7.75% YTD, 65/35 no cash some ST bonds.

Smells like a wheeee to me - especially when you bring out the dancing emoticons!

5.0% YTD. No addition, no withdrawal.

50% domestic equities, 20% international.
International holding down performance again.

What bothers me is that I am still 7.6% below my all-time high reached in May last year. And that's 2+ years of living expenses (I am using annual expenses as monetary units now). I've got nothing to Wh** about.

I can only get happy when I set a new high. Am I too greedy?

Last edited:
5.8% YTD
2008=--18.6 %
2009 +18%
2010 11.2%
2011 3.8%
Not sure if this is good compared to anything but has worked for me since I retired in Early 2008. That 2008 did scare me a bit.

I am up about 3.5% for the first half of 2012 but I am about 62% in bonds, 38% in stocks.

YTD is 6.8 % as of 6/29/2012. I'm 80 percent in Stable Value plodders, but have done unusually well, at this point, anyway, in the other assorted "risky" stuff I have.

Last edited:
portfolio up 3.7% plus 1.8% in actual divs recieved. annualized total return would therefore be about 11% which is right on my expectation. I expect 5-7% capital appreciation plus a 3.75% div yield. Very volatile though. It was up .85% on Friday. 100% CDN dividend payers.

Up for the year but still below my highs earlier this spring. The exact % doesn't do much for me.

I am also at 5.8%. I simply look at my total portfolio on Jan 1 and then compare it to today to arrive at that number. Spending during the year cuts down the growth at a slow and steady rate. I find that easier than trying to analyze the pieces and calculate a growth figure.

~4.3% YTD with 60/35/5 AA. But, given that the market went up 2%+ yesterday, I'm not sure how meaningful my YTD return is, other than it's positive.

My current balance is up 5.95% over BOY balance and 3.47% over target balance. Target balance is calculated using BOY balance and the assumed return from my deterministic long term projections. Target balance takes into account withdrawals. I have a 60/40 AA.

But, given that the market went up 2%+ yesterday, I'm not sure how meaningful my YTD return is, other than it's positive.

Amen. Or +1. That 2% was comforting to see. It does lessen the significance of YTD returns. Maybe a rebalance opportunity on Monday?

FYI:
60/40 benchmark is 6.588% YTD based on returns of Vanguard funds:
Total Bond = 2.43%; 40% = .972
Total Market: 9.36%; 60% = 5.616

My spreadsheet tells me I'm up 10.63% since January 1st as of today. I'm essentially 100% stock funds. I'm at 95.7% of my previous max which is partially the result of paying off the mortgage with proceeds from a bond fund and taxes paid last year when I rearranged my investments to be better in line with my investment approach.

Back
Top Bottom