Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-10-2007, 08:29 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, brewer!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2007, 09:27 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob View Post
Dawgm
I did the same thing -- had the CD first, then got the Visa card in a snap. It did take me awhile to get approval for a higher credit line, though. Here's why I needed it -- a classic case of Penfed is different":

I always pay my card off in full (well almost always -- I was leaving Citi in a huff because of their late fees for being a day late, but in principal I always pay it off)

Therefore I figured I needed a credit line of one average month plus some of the next month, plus a cushion.

Got an over-limit call from Penfed soon after getting the card. Reason? They have such a long billing cycle (i.e. extra time with free credit) that I was running up more than two full months of charges before they withdrew the money from my account to cover the bill from two months prior.

Thus, the need for a bigger credit limit. Classic Penfed... Still, no late fees (because I have them debit my account) and no finance charges, plus 1.25% cash back and two months of free credit = one happy customer...

Now with the 1.25% back we charge virtually everything in sight, so need a little more which they promptly gave.
I originally applied for a 5k credit limit in June. Half the limit I have on my GM card so I thought it would be easy to obtained. Still not sure why they asked for all the tax return info as I acquired 100k worth of cd's in January.(if that's one of the major factors they use) I never did send them any tax return info. Maybe the person reviewing my application didn't check to see I had the cd's already established.

Oh well, at least they got it right. Wound up with a credit limit of $16,200. The cash back feature will be nice. Can't see me every needing that much but nice to have in case I take a long trip overseas one day.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:34 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

BTW the Cash Back at PENFED is 5% on Gasoline and 1.25% on everything else. Cannot figure out why one would have the problems getting a VISA card from them (maybe SE Income?). Baring bad credit can't figure. I got $25K limit and just filled out the on-line application. Of course maybe because we have been members since 1975 it may have had something to do with it?
Old 07-10-2007, 12:40 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Wood View Post
Cannot figure out why one would have the problems getting a VISA card from them (maybe SE Income?). Baring bad credit can't figure. I got $25K limit and just filled out the on-line application. Of course maybe because we have been members since 1975 it may have had something to do with it?
Could be. I am a brand new customer but my credit report should have been ok. My only 2 mortgages were paid off early and never late on a monthly payment.

If I had applied last year when I was still working, I would have had a nice income to report which probably would have helped the process. Early retired, with only investment income to report, could have hurt. But again, it worked out in the end.