What is your "weakest link" to ER??

Well, I meant is what causes you to unable to reach Early Retirement?

We might still retire early...a lot could change over the next 15 years that would affect our calculations for the better or worse. But right now the main impediments we have are:

- A stubborn insistence on sending our kids to private schools rather than the "free" (aka already paid for by our high property taxes), mediocre public schools. We project that uition will vary between 10%-30% of our after-tax income over the next 13 years or so.

- Single income household. This is unlikely to change substantially for a few years until DW goes back to work after our youngest kid is in school.

- A stubborn insistence on spending a lot of $$ on locally grown/organic meats and produce. Food currently vies with tuition for our highest non-mortgage expense.

my wife would not let me-but she retired 10 years earlier.:D

8) Pension and 401k age of 55 (not quite there yet)
9) Parental care issues

We still have one more kid to get through college, though he has chosen a relatively affordable college (for us) for which we have saved for. But the temptation is to work a little more just to pay some of it with "current" dollars and reduce the savings impact.

Health insurance remains the number one issue, as that will be by far our greatest retirement expense... I'm waiting to see what Megacorp does with its 2014 plans this fall. However I'm just realizing that medical insurance will go down once we are eligible for medicare in 10 years, so we may have to endure high premiums for just 10 years.

I do love most of my job content, I am just getting a little worn down by the workload. I'm no longer motivated by promotions or even salary increases, and just having time to plan for activities and not having to deal with crises caused by headcount reductions would be welcome. Odds of that changing are slim.

Truthfully, I've got the money, I just don't have the guts. We're both 53. I've got a great job for our area. Imake good money, I don't kill myself, and get along well with my co-workers. I could get a reduced pension now, full pension at 58. When I think of ERing, I am haunted by dear departed grandfathers and uncles saying "you don't just walk away from a good job like that!". DW is a dedicated special education teacher. She just got her 30 years in, but has no intention of retiring for several years. A big thing that holds me back from retiring is the political unpredictability of the weasels in our state government. Teachers have been made out to be Public Enemy #1 in Michigan, and are taking the brunt of the "reforms" handed down from Lansing. I fear retirement because it has now been shown that the retirement benefits my DW earned and been promised over 30 years can be changed or eliminated on the whims of a bunch of clowns who wouldn't last 30 minutes in a classroom, let alone 30 years. Other reasons: what will Social Security look like in 9 years; when will the stock market take its next big drop; what will health care be like in a few years; can I trust my megacorp to pay me my pension as promised for the rest of my life? I'm sure these are all questions everybody on this forum faces. I'm generally not a pessimist, but for me, at this time, it's easier to just keep going to w*rk, and see how things pan out.

OMY and fear of being on company provided health insurance for 10 years (that could be taken away at any moment).

Truthfully, I've got the money, I just don't have the guts. .... I've got a great job for our area. Imake good money, I don't kill myself, and get along well with my co-workers.

+1.....but if I Verlyn Klinkenborg keeps writing those columns...who knows ..

Last edited:
OMY and not enough motivation/imagination to find something else to do. That is changing this July though. The feds are reclassifying the position to change the income from "pretty good" to "subsistence" and since I have a choice I'm not going along with it. I feel for a lot of the guys there who don't have that choice. One said his wife, a beautician, ran up $40k in credit card bills after they'd taken out a consolidation loan to pay them off previously. Yikes!

Another issue was that everyone else was still working ten years ago. That has changed too.

So now I have a much better idea of what to do and where to go from this point forward.

Truthfully, I've got the money, I just don't have the guts. We're both 53. I've got a great job for our area. Imake good money, I don't kill myself, and get along well with my co-workers. I could get a reduced pension now, full pension at 58. When I think of ERing, I am haunted by dear departed grandfathers and uncles saying "you don't just walk away from a good job like that!". DW is a dedicated special education teacher. She just got her 30 years in, but has no intention of retiring for several years. A big thing that holds me back from retiring is the political unpredictability of the weasels in our state government. Teachers have been made out to be Public Enemy #1 in Michigan, and are taking the brunt of the "reforms" handed down from Lansing. I fear retirement because it has now been shown that the retirement benefits my DW earned and been promised over 30 years can be changed or eliminated on the whims of a bunch of clowns who wouldn't last 30 minutes in a classroom, let alone 30 years. Other reasons: what will Social Security look like in 9 years; when will the stock market take its next big drop; what will health care be like in a few years; can I trust my megacorp to pay me my pension as promised for the rest of my life? I'm sure these are all questions everybody on this forum faces. I'm generally not a pessimist, but for me, at this time, it's easier to just keep going to w*rk, and see how things pan out.

Truthfully, I don't think you I don't see you retire anytime soon and I am even more surprise that you are a member here since this is ER forum NOT Work Until You Die forum. (Just kidding CoadDuck :greetings10:) I know how you feel. It's a zillion of "what if" before you can pull the trigger and eventhough I am not there but I am sure it's pretty scary decision.

Truthfully, I don't think you I don't see you retire anytime soon and I am even more surprise that you are a member here since this is ER forum NOT Work Until You Die forum. (Just kidding CoadDuck :greetings10:) I know how you feel. It's a zillion of "what if" before you can pull the trigger and eventhough I am not there but I am sure it's pretty scary decision.

E2E, thanks for the well-deserved scolding! 😁 This forum really pushed me into getting my ducks in a row, and I thought I might pull the pin this spring, but when push came to shove.....well, you know. 🐔

To be honest, my weakest links "were" greed and the OMY syndrome

Greed yes. :blush: I just got a 38% bonus - it's tempting see if I get another in OMY even though I most likely don't need it ! My 57 year old body says to stop the over - W*RK, and enjoy the fruits of labor. :facepalm:

Obamacare is another one.

For me (3) pushed me toward ER, it made me realize I could have done this a decade ago if I had found this site and learned about financial projections. When I resigned a few weeks ago my company offered a pretty generous retention incentive for OMY. Took a long vacation to think it over, and since I didn't find anything better to do with my time, I accepted the deal.

This might have been a mistake because my job changed to transition training which is much less fun than I expected, and I'm now out of the loop on the crises that used to make my workday fly by. The team I'm supposed to be training is busy doing their own work most of the time so I'm probably as bored as I would be if I had retired.

When I think of ERing, I am haunted by dear departed grandfathers and uncles saying "you don't just walk away from a good job like that!".

In addition to my main reason of not ERing yet, your reason is another slight additional factor....I mentioned to my father last week of what I could pull from my portfolio for the rest of my life (adjusting for inflation), and he just simply said "but what about continuing to do something with your life and make more money?" With him, it's part 'hoarding money/trying to accumulate as much as possible', and part 'not having much passion for anything but his job' and spending time at their place in Florida (which is sad...but if that's what floats his boat, then so be it)

A big thing that holds me back from retiring is the political unpredictability of the weasels in our state government. Teachers have been made out to be Public Enemy #1 in Michigan, and are taking the brunt of the "reforms" handed down from Lansing. I fear retirement because it has now been shown that the retirement benefits my DW earned and been promised over 30 years can be changed or eliminated on the whims of a bunch of clowns who wouldn't last 30 minutes in a classroom, let alone 30 years. Other reasons: what will Social Security look like in 9 years; when will the stock market take its next big drop; what will health care be like in a few years; can I trust my megacorp to pay me my pension as promised for the rest of my life?

Sorry to hear about the vagaries of the legislature regarding unpredictability of your DW's pension!

Has there been any legislation so far (either simply proposed or even passed) which would give you a hint as to what the effect might be to form a "worst-case", "probable case" and "best case" scenario? If so, run those numbers and see where the dust settles. I have no knowledge of this issue in MI, but, can you reasonably say that at least half of DW's pension amount is safe? There's no way they would completely eliminate it to zero. How would that come out in the numbers, adding in SS, your portfolio, etc.

Is it possible for DW to get a job in private industry, even though she loves her position, or does her 30 year tenure give her a good position that would be tough to match (ignoring her pension which she qualifies for now, but which might not give her much more benefit if she stays in). A higher salary for DW in private/other settings might help boost the portfolio a bit more and let both of you RE sooner rather than hinging on the uncertainty of pension changes.

Regarding SS - pretty much everyone is confident that given your current age, SS benefits likely won't change. The only possible 'gotcha' may be that they become 100% taxable instead of up to 85% taxable, so perhaps try factoring that into your forecasting and see.

Does your employer offer you the option of taking a cash balance transfer out, or are you stuck with the pension?

"Bronze handcuffs" kept me working until 55. Thanks for the term RE Eddie

Too conservative investing and wanting to get our savings and my husband's pension a bit higher, because its not subject to COLA. We are both under an incredible amount of stress at work and hate it. We are also waiting to see how much the his retirement healthcare premium (which I can also join) will increase. As soon as we can, we are getting OUT.

#A: following the Joneses.

What I mean by this is doing what your neighbors/friends/family do. You know, you saw Sara Jones work until 65, so that must be your fate too, right?

This is ignorance. And it can go in many ways. Both in spending patterns (the most common use of the phrase "Keeping up with the Joneses"), but it can be more than that, including the retirement pattern.

#B: you mentioned sickness. Let me get more specific. Addiction. Name your poison, it doesn't matter. Don't let it in your life.

Is it possible for DW to get a job in private industry, even though she loves her position, or does her 30 year tenure give her a good position that would be tough to match (ignoring her pension which she qualifies for now, but which might not give her much more benefit if she stays in). A higher salary for DW in private/other settings might help boost the portfolio a bit more and let both of you RE sooner rather than hinging on the uncertainty of pension changes.

But be careful, private industry is full of weasels too.

For those of you that chose 7) Too conservative in investing, what was your asset allocation?

I took ours all out before the last crash and put it in a general account that paid 3%. I know that's good for a guaranteed rate. But we were afraid to put any back in until a year or so ago, and then only 25%. I feel like we could have reached our goals by now if we wouldn't have waited so long. However we are ok.:)

I didn't hate most of what I did. In fact, I liked it pretty well until the politics got too bad. But really, my reason for staying as long as I did was succession planning. That, and the fact that shiny bracelets were offered as an enticement to stick around until mega was certain the succession was going to work. It's a good thing the vesting on the shinies was coming when it did. I don't think I would have made it OMY past my ER date last December.

R

...I'm still single.

I'm looking for a future Dear Wife that can live a simple life yet enjoy some nicer things (so still need to grow the portfolio a bit)...but things are difficult enough in the dating world without answering the occupation question with "professional investor" or "Oh, I'm retired".
Many people have no concept of
what it takes to invest or amass wealth.

Amen brother!

...I'm still single.

I'm looking for a future Dear Wife that can live a simple life yet enjoy some nicer things (so still need to grow the portfolio a bit)...but things are difficult enough in the dating world without answering the occupation question with "professional investor" or "Oh, I'm retired".

Most women (and men) simply spend too much and have no concept of what it would take to retire on a modestly fun budget, and would incorrectly assume that I must be a trust fund baby with $10MM in the bank to be retired at this age...and probably would act however they need to in order to convince me they're the right gal just long enough to wind up married.

One real-world example: one woman I dated, I merely said that "I made a lot of sacrifices in my 20s so my future wife and I could have a more secure life later on". Later on in the relationship, when we shared some financial info, she was shocked to learn I "only" had $800k or so (this was at March 2009, at the very bottom of the crash). She assumed that when I said "I made a lot of sacrifices" that I had about $2MM in the bank - despite being only about 32 at the time! I never told her how much income I earned, but even if I invested like Warren Buffet, I would have had to had earnings of about $300k/year every year straight out of college to amass $2MM in my early 30s! Many people have no concept of
what it takes to invest or amass wealth.

If I retired today, I could draw off 2.75% of my invested net worth and have double my annual 'basic needs plus some decent fun times'....but add in a future wife and kids, and some kickass trips around the globe, and my current stash would be lucky to just barely fully fund that at a 2.75% WR.

MooreBonds, where were you when I was 30?

Biggest obstacles that we've overcome are (1) obtaining health care at reasonable cost. I think PPACA solves this as an issue for us. (2) Amassing a large enough portfolio to have a reasonable WR. This has been difficult with a delayed start due to grad school but we recently hit our number.

Now the biggest obstacles left are (1) not being chicken and being able to pull the trigger. (2) navigating a move away from the bay area (for cost of living reasons). With visits to family taking up a chunk of vacation we have very little time left over to check out alternative cities/areas (and our short list is way too long).

Co-worker's DW put the brakes on his plans, so another category is D-spouse. As for me, DW is not a big fan of listening me ramble on about Monte Carlo analysis. She has been ready for a while.

This thread seems a bit more gear to folks fairly close to retirement, but I'll bite:

The 2 biggest things I'd say are our "weakest links" are saving for children's education (which we most certainly want to do) and deciding whether or not to cut some work hours during our prime earning years (now, I guess) to feel less burnt out. If we cut hours more, we'd certainly come to ER a bit slower.

Though, even at my conservative projections, my spreadsheets tell me that I could cut my hours by 20% today, and we'd be FI in 12 years versus 10 if I didn't. Also, after FI, we'll probably do a number of years at 50% employment until the kids are off to college anyways, so it seems like a moot point.

I'm convincing myself more and more to make this "weak link" a reality :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom