Join Early Retirement Today

What is your withdrawal rate ?
Old 11-29-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

What is your withdrawal rate ?

I just ended my first year of retirement bliss and I only withdrew 2.5 % . No ,I did not live on Ramen noodles . I travelled ,ate out ,bought presents and paid for my Mother's nurse's aide .I know some years will be a 4 % but this year wasn't .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nice going. You must have earned yourself a comfy nest egg.

Enjoy it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I just ended my first year of retirement bliss and I only withdrew 2.5 % .
The 2.5% SWR makes the "bliss" part twice or three times as good as just regular "bliss"! You have nicely arranged your affairs
Old 11-29-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
I just ended my first year of retirement bliss and I only withdrew 2.5 % . No ,I did not live on Ramen noodles . I travelled ,ate out ,bought presents and paid for my Mother's nurse's aide .I know some years will be a 4 % but this year wasn't .
So what did you do with the 1.5% you didn't spend? Invest it in an account outside of your nest egg or leave it within your portfolio? This is something I wonder about how actual RE's practice safe withdrawals
Old 11-29-2007, 06:53 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
So what did you do with the 1.5% you didn't spend? Invest it in an account outside of your nest egg or leave it within your portfolio? This is something I wonder about how actual RE's practice safe withdrawals

Well the wild & crazy me was looking at new cars or exotic trips but the sensible me prevailed and it's safe in my portfolio !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:53 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is there a down side to taking out too little from a tax deferred account. I'm thinking in terms of minimum mandatory distributions at age 70 1/2. You may be forced to take an amount that may put you in a higher tax bracket.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
2.5% - what for ???
Old 11-29-2007, 06:59 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

2.5% - what for ???

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
hogtied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
0% so far from retirement accounts; I did have to take some money from the MMA to buy a car.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:38 PM   #9

Large extra expenses in medical, travel, car replacement (not mine, but one I totalled) and taxes
on extra stock sales led to a 6% withdrawal rate in my first year of retirement. I expect to go back
to my planned 3.0 to 3.5% rate this next year, but if not, hey, that's what the extra reserves I built up
by working 2+ years longer than I needed to are for. I still have substantially more than I retired with,
and am unconcerned that my expenses were higher than expected.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:11 PM   #10

Withdrawal rate

4%
Old 11-29-2007, 08:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

2.46% - Year 1
Old 11-29-2007, 08:19 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
car replacement (not mine, but one I totalled)
Were you driving the totaled car or did you hit a car ?
RedHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:15 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

What's to celebrate if you underspent? On the other hand, perhaps you are 23 years old and 2.5% is an appropriate level given your age, AA, etc. Nobody's gets to keep their money at the end ... er, I think that I'm right on that one. Your heirs may celibrate though.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:20 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Well the wild & crazy me was looking at new cars or exotic trips but the sensible me prevailed and it's safe in my portfolio !
I was thinking that perhaps if you kept that extra money invested outside your nest egg then if you continue to have good years you may well feel safe enough to splurge on some exotic trip or new car.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:31 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

aaron- Look into doing annual, partial Roth conversions as a way to reduce the size of your sheltered account. See Fairmark.com for details. The gov't is going to someday get its taxes from your tax-DEFERRED account.
heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:46 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is it really "safe" in your portfolio? It might be better to put the excess in a cash hoard for when you are ready to spend it or have a sudden unexpected need for ready cash.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpatt View Post
Were you driving the totaled car or did you hit a car ?
I was driving the totalled car, borrowed from a friend. My first at-fault accident. Insurance
covered the damage to the other car, but I paid a total of about $10k to replace the Crown
Vic I was in with an Explorer. I was hit broadside right in the drivers door by a car going
about 45-50 mph. It only gave about 6". If I had been in one of my cars (Celica, Accord,
Corolla) I probably would have been killed or badly injured, instead of suffering only a
minor neck strain.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:36 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
I was driving the totalled car, borrowed from a friend. My first at-fault accident. Insurance
covered the damage to the other car, but I paid a total of about $10k to replace the Crown
Vic I was in with an Explorer. I was hit broadside right in the drivers door by a car going
about 45-50 mph. It only gave about 6". If I had been in one of my cars (Celica, Accord,
Corolla) I probably would have been killed or badly injured, instead of suffering only a
minor neck strain.
OK, I am convinced. My next car will be a Crown Vic. Maybe an ex police cruiser. Glad you made out so well. Sounds really frightening though.

Ha
Old 11-30-2007, 04:31 AM   #19

Actually increased the investments by 10% - so I withdrew 0% or to be more exact -10%. That is a fully Cash (Laddered CD's) and includes additional CD purchases. I have 2 COLA'd Retirement Plans (Military and SS) which are enough. Next year, 2008, will start IRA RMD for DW and may "hit" the retirement ladder to repay SSA if I go through with the "do over" plan. Current thinking is that I will do it so in the next 34 months we may have to live off of a minimal of cash withdrawals to supplement RMD and Military Retirement before taking SS again at my age 70.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:07 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Being 45 years young - 0% from my retirement account, and ~4% from my taxable accounts. So far all of my budget needs are satisfied with Interest/Dividend and Cap. gains. So I have not touched the principle of my investments or their gains.