Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't know about Brewer, but I was born and raised in Brooklyn, and to this day an authentic egg cream is my absolute favorite beverage. In my younger days, you could only get one at the soda fountain in a neighborhood candy store/luncheonette (although they were ubiquitous). It was my treat on my way home from high school. These days I make 'em often at home.

A slight correction to the directions in the link: egg creams were always made (at least in my part of Brooklyn) with only about an inch of milk in the glass. Then the chocolate syrup, then stirred with a long spoon while the seltzer was being added.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I'll hie me to a brew shop and check out carbonator caps - the link I first posted had directions for homebuilt units using Schrader valve tire stems ERD50, but I'm going to need to achieve a certain veneer of civilization for the project to gain approval. Read a few links suggesting that regular rubber tire stems transferred flavor and you wanted to go with the rigid metal stems as used on many mag wheels.
I use the metal stems, and I don't use the rubber seals at all. I drill the cap using a spade bit and put the cap on a wood dowel when I drill. That gives a clean circle cut and leaves the little plastic liner intact. The metal seems to seal OK on that. The metal might not be food grade stuff, but it's only in contact with the gas mostly, except for the shaking, I don't think it's a big deal. But the purchased units definitely have a higher SAF/SOAF ( Spousal/ Significant-Other Approval Factor).

-ERD50

Old 06-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Don't know about Brewer, but I was born and raised in Brooklyn, and to this day an authentic egg cream is my absolute favorite beverage. In my younger days, you could only get one at the soda fountain in a neighborhood candy store/luncheonette (although they were ubiquitous). It was my treat on my way home from high school. These days I make 'em often at home.

A slight correction to the directions in the link: egg creams were always made (at least in my part of Brooklyn) with only about an inch of milk in the glass. Then the chocolate syrup, then stirred with a long spoon while the seltzer was being added.
Yeah, but the luncheonette owners in Brooklyn learned from the those in the Bronx Those were certainly the days. I used to also buy my black market fireworks from Richies Luncheonette.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Yeah, but the luncheonette owners in Brooklyn learned from the those in the Bronx Those were certainly the days. I used to also buy my black market fireworks from Richies Luncheonette.
Borough, schmorough. The point is that the egg cream is a quintessentially Nyawk City drink. I've never met anyone from elsewhere who has ever heard of it, except from one of us.

As the classic line has it, "Anything west of the Hudson is camping out."
Old 06-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Borough, schmorough. The point is that the egg cream is a quintessentially Nyawk City drink. I've never met anyone from elsewhere who has ever heard of it, except from one of us.

As the classic line has it, "Anything west of the Hudson is camping out."
LOL, I was just testing you. The egg cream supposedly did originate in Brooklyn, just wanted to do a little inter-borough chain pulling

Regarding the West of the Hudson, that had been my view of the world until I moved to Texas.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #26

Gotta love the attitude here.

The link says you can make a lot of money selling dressed up water.

Someone here says you can save money by making your own carbonated beverages, here's a route that costs only $W.
Next poster has another systems for only $X.
Next has a simpler, more DIY look, for only $Y.
Next has and even more DIY solution (using an ordinary tire stem of course), getting the price down to $Z.

My kind of people.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
From the table "Gas Laws Relevant to Carbonation":
Quote:
Cole's Law : Relates vinegar and mayonnaise in a cabbage salad (gotcha!) : S = C + V + M
Old 06-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
From the table "Gas Laws Relevant to Carbonation":
I missed that one!

-ERD50
Old 06-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Loki, the homebrew supply shops also sell a plastic fitting that allows you to fill a plastic soda bottle and add carbonation directly to the bottle from your CO2 rig. No keg required.
A local microbrewery sells a nifty rig for their customers. They don't bottle or keg their beers so locals stop by for a growler once or twice a week. Trouble with a growler is that you HAVE to drink it within a day or so, or you have flat beer.

So a local inventor came up with a little gizmo that screws onto a 3L soda bottle. You fill the soda bottle with beer and cap it with this gizmo. The gizmo has one or two CO2 cartridges, a spigot/valve, and a tube leading into the bottle. Lay it on its side in the fridge and you have a micro-keg that keeps your brew fresh and fizzy for weeks. I almost got one but they were $40 (including $10 worth of CO2), and I don't often buy that much of one beer. Definitely could, though, as I have 4 microbreweries within 3 miles.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
Gotta love the attitude here.

The link says you can make a lot of money selling dressed up water.

Someone here says you can save money by making your own carbonated beverages, here's a route that costs only $W.
Next poster has another systems for only $X.
Next has a simpler, more DIY look, for only $Y.
Next has and even more DIY solution (using an ordinary tire stem of course), getting the price down to $Z.

My kind of people.
Of course you can go "cheap bastard" and carbonate your drinks by mixing white vinegar and baking soda.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
Of course you can go "cheap bastard" and carbonate your drinks by mixing white vinegar and baking soda.
Now we're talking.

Reminds me of a class demonstration I did while teaching 9th grade science. I mixed hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide, after doing a couple demos to show how reactive they were in the concentrations I had.

I then asked for a volunteer to taste the result.

With the chemical symbols on the board, I hoped my students would be able to predict what was in the test tube. Some could, others didn't get it. (Yes, I quickly checked it myself before letting the volunteer try - lawsuits and all that.)
Old 06-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

...funny thread, but not sure how you're gonna put $7.5MM in the account if you 'cook' coke/pop/soda at home
Old 06-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida2003 View Post
...funny thread, but not sure how you're gonna put $7.5MM in the account if you 'cook' coke/pop/soda at home
Oh sure, it's a risk/reward thing, but cook enough coke and you would maybe get to 7.5MM real fast. Or get a Cuban necktie. Honduran shoelace? Polish sausage?
Old 06-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #34

Excerpt from the article:

Quote:
One final point: At the end of our conversation, Sullivan made an interesting observation. The fact is most Americans don't want to get rich. Sure, they would like the money. But they don't want to make the sacrifices necessary to have a shot at becoming really wealthy: the enormously hard work, missed birthdays, long days and forgone vacations and weekends.

True enough. Now that I am working for myself. My days alternate between, "Yipee, I am going to be so rich!" to "Crap, this is how people go bankrupt" in the matter of hours. There just are a lot of headaches and sacrifices, and I'm not even trying to get mega rich, just rich enough to have a steady stream of location-independent income plus some capital appreciation potential (OK, quite a bit of that). There are days when I fleetingly think, "Plug me back into the Matrix, man. I'll eat the simulated steaks."

Side note: I have not seen a successful thread jack back to the original topic, but I think I'll give it a try.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I am from chicago and my favorite treat was called a "chocolate phosphate". I think it is the same thing as an egg cream. Loved it.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Made an egg cream last nite - ended up borrowing a tank and regulator/hose from a friend who wasn't using it (no current keg in the kegerator). I thought it was interesting, but needed more chocolate. Was like a lite lite version of the liquid in an ice cream soda. Given I was going from description and a picture and the first one - not bad.

Built carbonator caps using all metal valve stems and used a tirechuck with lock - handy while shaking. Water quality makes a big difference - Independence water is no so good and doesn't improve with carbonation. West Salem has good water and makes for a decent product. Tried a touch of French's lemon flavor, but didn't get enough in - would like to get a nice lemon or lime carbonated water going - anyone have a flavoring or quantity they have success with?
Old 06-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #37
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Was like a lite lite version of the liquid in an ice cream soda. ...anyone have a flavoring or quantity they have success with?
If you're looking for a Q&D way to make an ice cream soda, take a tall glass and fill it with equal amounts of (Classic) Coke & regular (not low/no fat) chocolate milk, ensuring both contents are well chilled before mixing.

Stir lightly. No ice cream required...