What It Takes To Really Get Rich

Good article - we've been spending money on and transporting around and drinking water. Water with no sugar or artificial sweeteners or coloring in it, because that would be Bad. It does have some carbon dioxide mixed in, and sometimes some alcohol. Can't believe we are doing that, and what we're paying for fizzy water. Somehow I just don't think this option is going to cut it on the home kitchen counter though.

Home Carbonation System...Cheap, Healthy, and Green.

The fact is most Americans don't want to get rich. Sure, they would like the money. But they don't want to make the sacrifices necessary to have a shot at becoming really wealthy: the enormously hard work, missed birthdays, long days and forgone vacations and weekends.
For many, additional income increases the incentive for leisure. Recent research by Nadia Steiber at the Vienna University of Economics finds that employees who are moving up in the world would actually prefer to work less. And with the advent of cheap manufactured goods and free sources of entertainment like Facebook and YouTube, it's easier than ever to find happiness with modest wealth.
I think the paradox is that the richest aren't working for the money, and maybe they never were-- it's just a scoreboard. Unfortunately the personal sacrifices they made to get up on that scoreboard aren't worth the money, either.

During the last nine years, our net worth has risen ahead of inflation. Sure, it's been volatile, but the long-term result is that it's still ahead of inflation. In other words even in financial independence we're still LBYM.

Although we've added some conveniences to our lives, the extra wealth seems to be more of a self-imposed "stewardship burden" than a luxury. Even giving it away or gifting it is fraught with value issues.

In addition to the questions of what it takes to get rich and what it takes to get really fizzy drinks, maybe we should also consider the related question of what it takes to get rich flavor. I was shocked to discover recently that a fifth basic taste had been discovered after the four I knew about -- sweet, sour, bitter, and salty. The fifth is umami, savoriness. See Umami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

...Although we've added some conveniences to our lives, the extra wealth seems to be more of a self-imposed "stewardship burden" than a luxury. Even giving it away or gifting it is fraught with value issues.
Yes. The idea of a continually growing portfolio creates some new decisions. Hopefully we can defer them but it does weigh on us.

However, it is a nice problem to have!

Yes. The idea of a continually growing portfolio creates some new decisions. Hopefully we can defer them but it does weigh on us.
However, it is a nice problem to have!
Sure beats the alternatives.

"Deferral" becomes the default plan. I just wish there was a better way to assess the uncertainty of "But... I might need that someday!!"

But even though I agree that moving toward rich gets to be more a matter of habit or game - maybe like performers who just keep on touring long long after the economic need has past - I don't WANT umami flavored water!

FD - looking into the sodasteam - have you any issue with refills and cost/shipping? Understand the cylinders are good for 60 liters of soda and cost ~$30/refill. Shipping? A throwaway 1 liter soda siphon charger costs $.40-$.50/charger and would seem about the same cost, though without the simple separate bottle of the sodastream. Also have read their flavors aren't so great, though we would probably limit ourselves to a squeeze of lime or lemon. Your experience?

I had thought the great way to be in the water business would be to avoid the huge weight issue in shipping: "New Improved Water!! - Just Add Water!" The drink mix Mio is doing it already though, calling itself a liquid water enhancer. Then there is the automotive cooling system additive Water Wetter.

FD - looking into the sodasteam - have you any issue with refills and cost/shipping? Understand the cylinders are good for 60 liters of soda and cost ~$30/refill. Shipping? A throwaway 1 liter soda siphon charger costs $.40-$.50/charger and would seem about the same cost, though without the simple separate bottle of the sodastream. Also have read their flavors aren't so great, though we would probably limit ourselves to a squeeze of lime or lemon. Your experience?

Actually, I have a Bed Bath & Beyond store near my house and they carry the Sodastream products (Sears and other national chains do too). So I haven't had to deal with the shipping issue. When my CO2 cartridge runs out, I bring it there and I get a refill. New CO2 cartridge or spare cartridges cost about $30 each. But if you bring in an empty, the refill is only about $15.

The flavors: I don't particularly like their flavors for flavored water though the raspberry flavor is OK. But you can find plenty of alternative flavorings at the grocery store. You can use for example the MIO water enhancers by Kraft (MiO Liquid Water Enhancer — It's a remote control of fruit flavor). They work great with the sodastream system (use liquid flavor enhancers, the powders like kool-aid make a mess). The soda flavors are hit or miss.

Good article - we've been spending money on and transporting around and drinking water. Water with no sugar or artificial sweeteners or coloring in it, because that would be Bad. It does have some carbon dioxide mixed in, and sometimes some alcohol. Can't believe we are doing that, and what we're paying for fizzy water. Somehow I just don't think this option is going to cut it on the home kitchen counter though.

Home Carbonation System...Cheap, Healthy, and Green.

Any homebrew supply shop can sell you a second hand cornelius keg, CO2 bottle, regulator and fittings for maybe $150. You can make tons of soda, sparkling water, carbonated milk, carbonated cocktails, etc. for peanuts.

brewer12345 said:
Any homebrew supply shop can sell you a second hand cornelius keg, CO2 bottle, regulator and fittings for maybe $150. You can make tons of soda, sparkling water, carbonated milk, carbonated cocktails, etc. for peanuts.

/facepalm

I read that, and thought to myself: why would you need carbonated liquids for peanuts? Is there some cool combination/recipe I don't know about?

Then I thought: maybe they go really well together, drinking carbonated drinks and eating peanuts..

Finally I got it.

Ever have those moments when you question wtf route your brain took to get something so simple?

And with the advent of cheap manufactured goods and free sources of entertainment like Facebook and YouTube, it's easier than ever to find happiness with modest wealth.
I do not consider these sites as entertainment.

/facepalm

I read that, and thought to myself: why would you need carbonated liquids for peanuts? Is there some cool combination/recipe I don't know about?

Then I thought: maybe they go really well together, drinking carbonated drinks and eating peanuts..

Finally I got it.

Ever have those moments when you question wtf route your brain took to get something so simple?

Whew! I was thinking how weird carbonated milk was. Then started wondering what all else one could carbonate. Maybe you could have fizzy peanuts?!!

Lots of kegerators for sale on Craigslist, but a dedicated frig seems without merit just for water. Maybe if I brewed beer... will investigate various small pressure vessels that can be detached from a CO2 system and kept in the frig unobtrusively Thanks Brewer!

Loki, the homebrew supply shops also sell a plastic fitting that allows you to fill a plastic soda bottle and add carbonation directly to the bottle from your CO2 rig. No keg required. Think it is called a "Carbonator Cap." Buy a couple for small change and you are good to go.

Brewer's suggestion really is the best option.
I've been making my own carbonated water this way for many years. The keg sits in my beer fridge, with its own tap, so I fill a glass whenever I want one.

The carbonator caps also work well with one- or two-liter soda bottles, if you prefer to avoid the keg. But note that these "kegs" are only about 8.5 inches in diameter and a bit over two feet tall, so they do have a small footprint.

Not to change the subject or anything but thought I'd share. I drank a LOT of carbonated water. In fact ...that basically is what I drank.
I had been having what I called problem with my kidneys (pretty constant pressue and incomplete "you know what". This has been going on for a couple or more years now. Yes..went to the doctor and everything.

So for some odd reason I decided to research carbonated water. I discovered that carbonated water puts pressure on the kidneys...and that "we" need real tap water for our kidneys to complete their function. Carbonated water seems to interrupt that.

I stopped drinking the carbonated water and ...my kidneys are functioning better and I have no pressure or urgency feeling or the need to go constantly that I had with the carbonated water.

Could be a matter of degree because like I said...I drank it all the time.! Carried bottles of it around with me.

Brewer's suggestion really is the best option.
I've been making my own carbonated water this way for many years. The keg sits in my beer fridge, with its own tap, so I fill a glass whenever I want one.

The carbonator caps also work well with one- or two-liter soda bottles, if you prefer to avoid the keg. But note that these "kegs" are only about 8.5 inches in diameter and a bit over two feet tall, so they do have a small footprint.

Yep, the carbonator caps and 1/2L, 1L and/or 2L bottles are the way to go to carbonate small quantities and not take up the fridge space with a corny keg.

You can make your own tire-stem carb cap for less, and I've played with making my own CO2 with sugar/water/yeast in a separate 2L bottle, coupled to another 2L bottle for some storage. It was enough to keep a small amount carbonated, but not enough to initially carbonate a beverage - but I may have a small leak in that, need to 'play' some more.

And this would be a great solution to TromboleAl's issue with soda in large containers going flat - just put the cap on and pump them back with CO2 - it may help to squeeze out most of the air first, and/or transfer to a smaller 1L or 1/2L bottle to reduce head space you need to fill.

Some links:

Homemade Carbonator Caps - BrewBoard

Air Chuck -- $2 (Lowes #3626 / 104ZN-RET)
1/4" x 1/4" Flare-to-Male Pipe Half Union (Lowes: #WATTS PB48)
Barbed Swivel Nut 5/16" barb to 1/4" FFL -- $3.25 (LHBS)
Tire Stem Valve -- $1 (Belle Tire)
2-Liter Soda Bottles & Caps

YouTube - ‪How to Make A Carbonation Cap‬‏
YouTube - ‪Make Carbonated Beverages (Soda) at home‬‏

Lots of info here -

Carbonating at Home with Improvised Equipment and Soda Fountains

-ERD50

I stopped drinking the carbonated water and ...my kidneys are functioning better and I have no pressure or urgency feeling or the need to go constantly that I had with the carbonated water.

Could be a matter of degree because like I said...I drank it all the time.! Carried bottles of it around with me.

Of the two of us SWMBO drinks and has storage capacities for huge amounts of fluids, while i have small input and output. She also smoked more and longer and has exercise and diet habits that i look down my long nose at. Of the two of us, guess who has the heartbeat of a blue whale, lungs as fresh and expansive as a cool spring morning, and plumbing only slightly less restrictive that the output of the Grand Coulee dam. Life ain't fair. I'll watch out for carbonation issues. She won't, and guess who will think he's peeing asphalt.

I'll hie me to a brew shop and check out carbonator caps - the link I first posted had directions for homebuilt units using Schrader valve tire stems ERD50, but I'm going to need to achieve a certain veneer of civilization for the project to gain approval. Read a few links suggesting that regular rubber tire stems transferred flavor and you wanted to go with the rigid metal stems as used on many mag wheels.

Re: carbonated milk. Brewer, are you a Right coast person? Found this link
Brooklyn Egg Cream - Drink and think maybe carbonated milk is a regional thing. Will have to try it.

I was kidding about the carbonated milk. Like most homebrewers, early on I went through the stage of trying to ferment just about everything (quinoa mulberry ale, anyone?). I did not do that wen I bought the kegging system, but I thought about it. Carbonated milk mixed with vodka & Kahlua = carbonated black russian.

Don't know about Brewer, but I was born and raised in Brooklyn, and to this day an authentic egg cream is my absolute favorite beverage. In my younger days, you could only get one at the soda fountain in a neighborhood candy store/luncheonette (although they were ubiquitous). It was my treat on my way home from high school. These days I make 'em often at home.

A slight correction to the directions in the link: egg creams were always made (at least in my part of Brooklyn) with only about an inch of milk in the glass. Then the chocolate syrup, then stirred with a long spoon while the seltzer was being added.

I'll hie me to a brew shop and check out carbonator caps - the link I first posted had directions for homebuilt units using Schrader valve tire stems ERD50, but I'm going to need to achieve a certain veneer of civilization for the project to gain approval. Read a few links suggesting that regular rubber tire stems transferred flavor and you wanted to go with the rigid metal stems as used on many mag wheels.

I use the metal stems, and I don't use the rubber seals at all. I drill the cap using a spade bit and put the cap on a wood dowel when I drill. That gives a clean circle cut and leaves the little plastic liner intact. The metal seems to seal OK on that. The metal might not be food grade stuff, but it's only in contact with the gas mostly, except for the shaking, I don't think it's a big deal. But the purchased units definitely have a higher SAF/SOAF ( Spousal/ Significant-Other Approval Factor).

-ERD50

Don't know about Brewer, but I was born and raised in Brooklyn, and to this day an authentic egg cream is my absolute favorite beverage. In my younger days, you could only get one at the soda fountain in a neighborhood candy store/luncheonette (although they were ubiquitous). It was my treat on my way home from high school. These days I make 'em often at home.

A slight correction to the directions in the link: egg creams were always made (at least in my part of Brooklyn) with only about an inch of milk in the glass. Then the chocolate syrup, then stirred with a long spoon while the seltzer was being added.

Yeah, but the luncheonette owners in Brooklyn learned from the those in the Bronx:D Those were certainly the days. I used to also buy my black market fireworks from Richies Luncheonette.

Yeah, but the luncheonette owners in Brooklyn learned from the those in the Bronx:D Those were certainly the days. I used to also buy my black market fireworks from Richies Luncheonette.

Borough, schmorough. The point is that the egg cream is a quintessentially Nyawk City drink. I've never met anyone from elsewhere who has ever heard of it, except from one of us.

As the classic line has it, "Anything west of the Hudson is camping out."

Borough, schmorough. The point is that the egg cream is a quintessentially Nyawk City drink. I've never met anyone from elsewhere who has ever heard of it, except from one of us.

As the classic line has it, "Anything west of the Hudson is camping out."

LOL, I was just testing you. The egg cream supposedly did originate in Brooklyn, just wanted to do a little inter-borough chain pulling:LOL:

Regarding the West of the Hudson, that had been my view of the world until I moved to Texas.

Back
Top Bottom