Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Stable Value fund in 401k
Vanguard Intermediate Term Corporate Bond Fund
Vanguard Short Term Corporate Bond Fund
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Wellsley; cash balance pension plan serves as part of bond portfolio as it is pegged to five year treasury, but has a guarantee of no less than 2.8%. Occasionally individual bonds & GE Capital Savings account paying .9 % for short term cash bucket.

Retired at 59 1/2 and trying to stay that way.
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #23

Currently all our tax free/advantaged space is in Wellesley and a little VBTLX for portfolio ratio adjustment. Taxable all stock with about 13% cash waiting for distributions at the end of this quarter to do some adjustments/buying.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
short/medium/global/muni/high income funds. About 10 in all. Then hold a few old E bonds & individual munis. Not Treasuries. Pay way too little.
Interesting information. I kind of got the feeling that more people held more treasuries and less corp bonds, but it appears to be just the opposite, though this is a small sampling. I agree with poster above. I find it hard to purchase treasuries at the prevailing rates. But of course if we had another
2008-2009, or a 20's depression again, I might feel differently. How secure the short and intermediate bonds would be, I don't know.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #25

401k Stable Value Fund , No GIC ,ST Treas only - 34%
Pimco TR PTTRX - 26%
Vanguard Total Bond Instl. - 21%
Vanguard Hi Yld Corp - 8.5%
Vanguard ST Corp - 7%
Fidelity New Mkt Income - 3.5%

New contributions for the 401k are going into the SV fund to secure over 5 years expenses as a base. I plan to start W/D's in approx 2 years.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Interesting information. I kind of got the feeling that more people held more treasuries and less corp bonds, but it appears to be just the opposite, though this is a small sampling. I agree with poster above. I find it hard to purchase treasuries at the prevailing rates. But of course if we had another
2008-2009, or a 20's depression again, I might feel differently. How secure the short and intermediate bonds would be, I don't know.
My intermediate bond funds are all in tax free or tax deferred. If the stock market sold off as in 2001 or 2008, I'd not hesitate to move them to Treasuries. I actually monitor on a monthly basis to force myself to track the numbers. No way would I hold them in a 1930's type of decline. In 2008 there was no way to really know which way things would head so one has to be proactive.

My get-out-of-Dodge plan which is rarely triggered.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Similar to many others:

Stable Value in 401(k)
Wellesley/Wellington
short-term VG bond fund
I-Bonds

When I fantasize about "do-overs" in my life, one of the most recurring is to have purchased more - a LOT more - I-Bonds when they were paying 3%++ back in the early 00's. I bought the limit (60K) in '03 and wish I had done so in several other years. BUT, there are few do-over's in life, so I just trudge on - and occasionally fantasize.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #28

I-bonds (issued 2002-present)
tips (all maturities from 2026-2043)
vnyux (ny muni lt)
vfidx (inv grade intermediate)
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
Anyone buying closed end muni or bond funds that are now trading at large discounts ?
Watching BIT for my IRA. A multi sector managed by Blackrock. Offered this March at $20, and a premium. NAV has held up well, and price is now at an 11% discount, resulting in an almost 20% loss for IPO buyers. Will probably be more selling as the idiots who bought on the offering take the tax loss before the end of the year.

Any others you find interesting?
Old 09-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Watching BIT for my IRA. A multi sector managed by Blackrock. Offered this March at $20, and a premium. NAV has held up well, and price is now at an 11% discount, resulting in an almost 20% loss for IPO buyers. Will probably be more selling as the idiots who bought on the offering take the tax loss before the end of the year.

Any others you find interesting?
I couldn't find an ER anywhere. Any idea what the ER is? Not keen on the amount of leverage they have.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #31

I own no bonds.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Currently around 35% of portfolio in BSV, VG's short-term bond ETF.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

If somebody had no bonds, wouldn't now (historically low interest rates) be a bad time to start buying them?

I do have some short term cash that's doing nothing; I'm assuming a short term bond fund would give some miniscule return with virtually no risk?
Gazingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Similar to many others:

When I fantasize about "do-overs" in my life, one of the most recurring is to have purchased more - a LOT more - I-Bonds when they were paying 3%++ back in the early 00's. I bought the limit (60K) in '03 and wish I had done so in several other years. BUT, there are few do-over's in life, so I just trudge on - and occasionally fantasize.
Same here, who would have known that such a conservative investment at the time would be a very good one now with interest rates so low. Maxed out in 2001 and 2003, can't remember why didn't buy them in 2002. I remember using a rebate credit card to buy them also. But the Treasury caught on and discontinued credit card purchases.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazingus View Post
If somebody had no bonds, wouldn't now (historically low interest rates) be a bad time to start buying them?

I do have some short term cash that's doing nothing; I'm assuming a short term bond fund would give some miniscule return with virtually no risk?
Somewhat where I am sitting....I have some of it covered with the G+F funds in TSP....but I should have some with my Vanguard money as well and just can't pull the trigger. Might stick some more in Div Growth instead.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #36
gone traveling

Tried to buy a new issue of CHSXP preferred at 7.785% at par last week but got aced out.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Less than 5% of total portfolio on bond funds - VWENX, VWIAX, VTHRX, JNSIX
Old 09-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Tried to buy a new issue of CHSXP preferred at 7.785% at par last week but got aced out.

CHSXP is not a bond - it is a preferred stock with call option in 2023. The issuing company, CHS, Inc. is a solid and well managed entity, an Agricultural Co-op.

Having said all that, it looks like a worthwhile investment with a good yield, and low risk of default.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazingus View Post
It depends on when you plan on selling them.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #40

Right now I use Vanguard's Total Bond Market Index.

What I do is put all bonds in my 401k, REITs in my Roth IRA and stocks in taxable. So I didn't really have a choice on what to use for bonds, but I'm perfectly happy with it.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote