Join Early Retirement Today

What % of your portfolio is "experimental"?
Old 11-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What % of your portfolio is "experimental"?

The majority of my portfolio consists of index funds and VG Wellington and Wellysly. About 92%. I also have about 3% in cash.

Then I have a Fidelity account that I use to play around with Sector funds. I have been keeping track of my core funds rate of return since 2009 (and of course my FIDO fun account)

So far the fun account is ahead by about .6%. But I might still hit a home run with one of the Sector funds and then is "Go on a cruise time"
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2013, 05:59 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My whole portfolio (66% equities / 5% bonds / 29% cash) is considered "experimental" as I do not trust any of them to be really safe, meaning guaranteeing positive returns, or not losing to inflation.

However, I try to conduct only "safe" experiments, hoping that nothing is going to blow up in my face.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I have used a little as play money, but never that much. Less than 1%. None at the moment though.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

1.62%

Google it...
Old 11-07-2013, 06:07 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Depends on your definition of experimental, but using my deviation from Four Pillars as a benchmark, the 5% of my portfolio in VGELX (Energy Sector) might be considered "experimental" - though it's just Large Caps so hardly experimental IMO. Otherwise my holdings are all classic Four Pillars with small, value, emerging markets tilts.

I also have half my bond holdings in VFSUX (Short Term Investment Grade) if the OP considers that experimental.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #6

I probably have about 1% in my "experimental, which sounds more experimental than some of the others. I own a few biotech companies and some shares in other small companies that could "hit it big"....or not.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #7

I call it my "fun" portfolio as I sell/buy funds much more aggressively than my other funds. Don't consider it necessarily unsafe as I've spread the $ out among about 7 sectors. This is the one area I will use "timing" to buy sectors that I feel are undervalued. In 8 years I have not had any "disasters" but no doubles or triples either.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

None for me, but I have considered carving out a portion and making bets on individual stocks. I used to play individual stocks a long time ago and had mixed results.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I don't have a huge portfolio and it only consists of IBonds, CDs, and 2 Vanguard index funds. But I did put about 10k in Intel earlier this year, just to have more fun looking at my daily results as the index funds barely move on a day to day basis. I liked the 4% dividend. I doubt I ever do this again.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #10

My entire portfolio is indexed - except for a little over 2.5%, which is/was held in 4 different individual equities. One of them, MAKO, I bought at the wrong time, got out of it and ended up losing money on. The other 3, GOOG, BIDU and RAX are doing fine - GOOG particularly so

If I ever pursue my idea of living in an RV with my 3 kitties, these equities could end up providing the RV seed money. I do plan on selling these stocks and being all indexed eventually.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

100% 0%

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

2-3% - 'a few good stocks'. Football season is the worse time of year. Also look at new pickup trucks but usually resist.

Lifecycle index funds on full auto since 2006 and I drive her Honda Fit in town.

My theory - it's a male hormone thing.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #13

About 3%, experimenting can be a great way to learn.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

2.5% in MLPs and other high dividend payers.
Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Less than 1%, actually 0.7%.

My experimental part has done so poorly that it is barely holding its own. After having it for over a decade I think I am about fed up with the whole idea, because I am hardly ever fiddling with it any more. So, I might merge it with the rest of my portfolio.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Much of my portfolio would probably be considered experimental here (individual stocks and bonds, partnerships, trusts, precious metals, foreign RE, etc...).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

With the Fed doing things like QE that's in uncharted territory, even Treasuries become experimental. Heh heh heh...
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

If we're talking about things like "alternative" asset classes, probably about 8%, mostly in various natural resource plays. But I don't really have the "Vegas money" bucket (of about 5%) that I used to have when I was working.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #19
Dryer sheet wannabe

None. I quit experimenting long ago.
Secondact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Much of our portfolio consists of strategic allocations ... maybe they would be called experimental. But it's based on a lot of backtests with decades of data sets and has to pass the believable test (not based on butter production in Bangladesh) . Overall this might get 1% or 2% more return over time ... if I'm lucky. Still the objective is to not stray too far from buy-hold and to reduce risk when straying.

Seems to me "experimental" is in the eye of the beholder. One could call life a great experiment. My feeling is that this whole universe is one huge wild experiment.
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote