Join Early Retirement Today

What one book?
Old 12-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What one book?

What one book most shaped your financial outlook on life? And why?

You can only choose one.

I had a tough time getting down to just one, but for me it's Your Money or Your Life. It taught me that, in this world at least, time isn't free. You have to buy it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
Confused about dryer sheets

Well, since you named my number one book that really changed my thinking, I will post my second choice book. Ramit Sethi's "I Will Teach You To Be Rich." Although I am not rich, I am very comfortable. I've learned alot from his book (and blog).
The main thing he encourages, is to spend on what you love, and be mercilessy frugal on things that don't matter to you. This is as opposed to what others who encourage fruguality say: To cut down on everything and sometimes deprive yourself of what you what you want. If you enjoy daily $4 Starbucks Lattes, then enjoy them and anything else. I also agree with him on not spending too much time coupon-cutting. Sometimes it can be more time-consuming than it's worth.
karen64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes by Gilovich & Belsky. It delves into behavioral finance traps such as Loss Aversion. After reading this book, I have no aversion to losses and now buy whenever the stock market is at a near term low and sell at market highs. This book has helped me perfect my market timing.

Oh, another behavioral finance trap is Overconfidence.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Work less, Live more by Bob Clyatt. It made me realize that there was an alternative to the 9 to 5 grind.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Some unknown book in gradeschool that had a returning WW2 vet dragging a car out of a lake, getting it running, loading the gearbox with sawdust (hey - I thought that was an accepted repair back then) and selling it, then buying a Brithish truck and using the motor to build a racecar. For me it was all about finding hidden gems, adding labor and skill, and making profit.

Since then I've always looked for the overlooked use on an item that no longer serves it's intended use.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

It's difficult to choose only one! But since I have to, I choose Wealth Building, by Kurt Rosentreter, Insomniac Press, 2005. It looks at wealthbuilding as an evolutionary process, and focuses on taxes, risk management, and goals specific to each stage of life.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Mutual Funds for Dummies. Introduced me to no-load, low cost, index funds.
Jake46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Back in the 1980's somewhere, I bought and read "How to be Rich" by J. Paul Getty. It's not about "getting" rich, but rather a mindset about being rich, dealing with people, success, etc. I don't have it anymore, but I remember thinking it was pretty cool at that time and it helped to shape some of my early thinking.
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #9

The big "Value Line" analysis of 1700 companies. I remember sitting down in the library poring over it for hours in the early 80's thinking "wow, some of these companies increase their earnings and dividends every year, even through recessions, etc". I was already cheap, had picked a decent profession (programming), and knew I wanted to be retired since I was a kid, but learning how to invest was the final key.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Surprisingly,

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Adventure and cheap and minimalistic living is really what I want to do.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Goldilocks and the Three Bears

It showed me the wisdom of seeking a reasonable financial goal, not to aim too high or too low - and to watch out for bears.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:43 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post

You can only choose one.

I had a tough time getting down to just one, but for me it's Your Money or Your Life. It taught me that, in this world at least, time isn't free. You have to buy it.
Don't know if that was the most important one, but it was the first one and set me on the path.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Some unknown book in gradeschool that had a returning WW2 vet dragging a car out of a lake, getting it running, loading the gearbox with sawdust (hey - I thought that was an accepted repair back then) and selling it, then buying a Brithish truck and using the motor to build a racecar. For me it was all about finding hidden gems, adding labor and skill, and making profit.

Since then I've always looked for the overlooked use on an item that no longer serves it's intended use.
Supposedly Kirk Kerkorian got his start the same way, and it put the same stamp on his life. After WW2 he bought a bunch of surplus and non-functioning trucks. He wasn't after the trucks, but the fuel which came along in the deal at way below then current scarcity induced prices.

These are the kinds of books I am drawn to also, written by people whose unusual thinking made them rich. The other typle of book I am very suspicious of.

How many books of the "I retired early" genre are really about "I changed jobs from whatever to author, and what I write about is being retired"?

Ha
Old 12-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I guess it would have to be "The Number" Lee Eisenberg - The Number - A Completely Different Way to Think About the Rest of Your Life
It's not that I learned so much about financial stuff per se, but I leaned a lot about myself and perhaps humans in general. I have changed my "number" over the years as most of us have, but mostly, I've changed my outlook on what is the definition of "rich" over the years. I grew up well cared for (food, clothing, shelter, love, education, etc.) but we had very little . That very gradually changed as I grew to adulthood, though my parents were never rich except by the definition of the non-first world. Still, I experienced expectation "creep" and "keeping up with the Jones" (although, we/I were never big into that). Instead, I've found myself vaguely "dissatisfied" with my new norm. In simplest terms, we're never satisfied, no matter what we have and how much money is in our "number". We compare "ourselves" with "ourselves" and then want more.

I've never thought of myself as materialistic. I've never gone into debt (except for a mortgage). Yet this book showed me another side to my personality that I had never identified before. I'm not unhappy, but neither am I fully satisfied with my "number" though, by most standards it is completely adequate if not down right amazing.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Venita Van Caspel's Money Dynamics for the 1980s book. And Andrew Tobias' Only Money Guide You'll Ever Need. I remember Tobias talking about buying a lot of soda when it was on sale, and storing it under his coffee table.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #16

The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck. Stash your cash in a "safe" place as soon as possible, whenever possible ( 401k, in my case).
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:15 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need by Andrew Tobias.

I read it a long time ago, before I knew anything about money market accounts or PE ratios. It is an entertaining book that covers LBYM, keeping investment costs down, allocating assets, etc.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
And Andrew Tobias' Only Money Guide You'll Ever Need. I remember Tobias talking about buying a lot of soda when it was on sale, and storing it under his coffee table.
+2
Old 12-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Goldilocks and the Three Bears

It showed me the wisdom of seeking a reasonable financial goal, not to aim too high or too low - and to watch out for bears.
So true. As for me, I think maybe I got a little more from The Three Little Pigs. This one showed me the wisdom of working hard to get high quality results (the brick house) in order to be prepared for adversity, and to watch out for anything like wolves or hurricanes or financial crises that could huff and puff and blow my house down.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #20

"Final Exit".

It let me know that money isn't everything.