Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What Overall Rate of Return are you using?
3-4.99% 8 5.41%
5-6.99% 63 42.57%
7-8.99% 64 43.24%
9-10.99% 10 6.76%
Something greater - please explain optimism! 1 0.68%
Something less than 3% - please explain pessimism! 2 1.35%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2008, 11:29 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use 6% if I'm having a good day (most days); 5% if I'm feeling especially pessimistic.
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2008, 01:40 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel View Post
It seems to me that time horizon should play an important role in determining expected returns. Those with more time can invest more aggressively, those with less can't (or shouldn't). So while the poll results are interesting, they're perhaps not that informative.

(FWIW, I've been assuming in the 7-8% range and am in my mid-30s.)
Agreed. A 35 year-old can assume long term averages for now, with plenty of time to adjust in the future.

A retiree age 65 has to be aware that those long term averages hide long strings of poor years.

It seems to me that anyone who is serious about a 4% SWR is implicitly assuming about 3% real. I don't know if we have any of those people responding to the poll, but I'm surprised that there aren't more low numbers.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:05 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

We're currently earning about 5.2%. Our total portfolio has been invested conservatively for the past couple of years as we are winding down for retirement in the next few weeks. Had we lost money in this awful market over the past year, my husband would have refused to retire. After retirement I expect our return will fluctuate, but it will always be conservative. I'm using an initial rate of 4.6%. We'll adjust it year by year, but we always plan to withdraw less than we earn. If rates go to zero, I will panhandle so I can deposit money. haha
pie2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:16 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie2008 View Post
We're currently earning about 5.2%. Our total portfolio has been invested conservatively for the past couple of years as we are winding down for retirement in the next few weeks. Had we lost money in this awful market over the past year, my husband would have refused to retire. After retirement I expect our return will fluctuate, but it will always be conservative. I'm using an initial rate of 4.6%. We'll adjust it year by year, but we always plan to withdraw less than we earn. If rates go to zero, I will panhandle so I can deposit money. haha
Not worried about inflation eating away your purchasing power?
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:36 PM   #45
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Not worried about inflation eating away your purchasing power?
No, we've run our figures through many, many configurations using very conservative rates and higher inflation. We have always lived beneath our means -- we're "the millionaires next door." I grew up poor, so I still know how to live on next to nothing -- not that I want to go back to those days, but I could. When you're older, you buy less. Medical premiums (and later Medicare) may be our most challenging expense, but I figure everyone will be in the same boat then, and the outcry about lack of/poor medical care will be so great that the government will finally be forced to seriously tackle the issue. In the meantime, we go for all of our annual physicals and routine medical tests, and do most of the other things one is supposed to do to stay healthy.

As a sidenote: my doctor saw something suspicious when I recently went for a routine physical. She took a biopsy, and I spent a week in extreme anxiety waiting for the results which, I'm happy to say, were negative. But what made the biggest impression on me was that when I thought I was potentially facing something serious, I didn't regret that I didn't yet have a big screen TV or have traveled more, and I certainly didn't give a moment's thought about inflation -- all I wanted was more time doing simple things with my husband, like going for walks, preparing meals together, and waking up in a comfortable bed each morning with him by my side.
pie2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I use 7% now that I am retired.