Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
This made me laugh pretty hard! thanks BBBAMI! I enjoy chewing things so um a small percentage. It cant cost me that much to get new teeth would it?
Sounds like someone is just chomping at the bit to get in the dentist chair, eh?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Costa Rica is one place to go for dental work. My dental hygenist who is a USA citizen, worked as a hygenist there for a while. Going there for dental work is so common that I think that there must be people on this forum who have done this.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

When I really think long and hard about it, there is just no way I could be a medical tourist. I want to be close to my support system, eating food that is familiar, where if something goes wrong my regular doctor can see me, etc.

I may be hopelessly out of date with this, but I've never seen a hospital in another country that I'd want to be in. I had to laugh at a Jamaican friend who was telling me how great medical care was in Cuba (!) I guess compared to Jamaica, it is fantastic, but I'm sure as heck not going there!

Same with something as complicated as dental implants. I could see getting routine dental (and health care) in another country that caters to expats as a matter of convenience, but if I have something major done, I'd want to be right here at home.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Tell the dentist: "Bite me, your rates are too high"...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:19 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

you may consider to do the dental work at foreign countries, like India or China or someplace cheap and same quality.

Here the dentists are robers. All my dentists would sugest me to redo my crown since it is not american style. Everything I replied maybe later.

The thing I did not mentioned is my crown job was done 20 years ago. The dentist told me the thing will hold 15 years if I used it carefully. He charged me 20 bucks for whole work.

Before I came to America, I did one root canal since I knew the notorious dental cost. 11 years passed. it works perfectly. cost? 1 buck.
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #26

My mother-in-law has been suffering from oral cancer surgery/implants for over a year now. Her oral cancer probably was caused by ill-fitting dentures. She had her dental implants done at our local dental college (university). I don't know how much it would have cost from a private dentist but even thru the dental college it was a BIG expense $14,000 or $17,000 (?) for two posts lowers only. The implant placement was done by the teaching staff...no students...they only observed.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Alternative? Go make a Loan..How you say?

1. Put up the $ you need at your bank into CD's, ladder them according to each yr the loan amt. is reduced
2. Use the CD's as collateral
3. say for 5 yrs? In 5 yrs you have both, your new teeth and most of your $ as well.

Just a thought to consider..if you know you won't be able to pay the $ back to your savings..Most of us never do..

;0)
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the responses so far. Sarah in SC I agree, I would never go to a foreign country for this. I put the kitchen thing in as it is a real situation, but I agree does not compare to a medical thing like this. I think this thing could end up costing 4% of my retirement portfolio, or more. I have satisfied myself though extensive research that dental implants and bone grafting (which I will need) is a very common procedure, not technically difficult and has a high degree (90%) of success. I could just get new choppers for a tenth of the cost, but in the long term I could still end up in a nursing home with my teeth in a glass and slurping Ensure to get nutrition. If I have it done and drop dead a day later I hope they bury me with a big expensive smile on my face.
cashflo2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
Thanks for the responses so far. Sarah in SC I agree, I would never go to a foreign country for this. I put the kitchen thing in as it is a real situation, but I agree does not compare to a medical thing like this. I think this thing could end up costing 4% of my retirement portfolio, or more. I have satisfied myself though extensive research that dental implants and bone grafting (which I will need) is a very common procedure, not technically difficult and has a high degree (90%) of success. I could just get new choppers for a tenth of the cost, but in the long term I could still end up in a nursing home with my teeth in a glass and slurping Ensure to get nutrition. If I have it done and drop dead a day later I hope they bury me with a big expensive smile on my face.
Yep - interesting thread. My evil mind wondered - so if I invested 4% of my portfolio in my teeth - would I then snare a hot chick with her own FIRE portfolio AND could the rest of me keep up with the new teeth and hot chick?

Ya know Ensure and and teeth in a glass - speaking cheap (aka CB wise) and frugal might not be that bad - long term - as it were.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #30

This thread just made me brush my teeth again. I want to take these suckers biters to the grave.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #31

You could always try a dental college. I had a college buddy who had a bunch of work done that way.

My implant and crown was about $4K. A guy at work just had complete uppers done over the course of last year. He is in the Navy and got it done thru them.

They may have a 0% plan available. No clue what the cost would be tho. My first implant post got infected and had to be removed. The second time was much more relaxed since I knew what I was getting into. Its not that bad at all, tho the oral surgeon wanted to get a perfect placement and peeled back a lot of gum. That was the part that hurt for a week! Not the bone where he drilled.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:58 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Cool, so your suggestion is for me to join the Navy to have my teeth fixed? I think I am over the age limit or I might consider it.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:01 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Notmuchlonger, if my post prompts people to take better care of their teeth, it has some benefit! Don't just brush, floss properly and often and get cleaned twice a year.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I am not willing to give arms, legs, or teeth up without a fight and I will spend whatever it takes for reasonable, recommended medical or dental treatment to keep my teeth/arms/legs.

My advice? Do without the kitchen. Get the teeth fixed.
WantTo, good answer, but the real question I am asking is -how does one quantify what is a "reasonable" amount for their situation?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #35

The possibility of needing follow up care is definitely a consideration in thinking about medical/dental treatment overseas. I think I've changed my mind: I wouldn't do it.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
WantTo, good answer, but the real question I am asking is -how does one quantify what is a "reasonable" amount for their situation?
By reasonable, I mean medically reasonable. I would talk to my dentist, get a consult, find out if the procedure is one that is commonly done for people in my situation and if it has a reasonable chance of being successful. (I know, there's that word "reasonable" again - - talk to your dentist). If it is something that is done all the time, and has a decent probability of saving my tooth, I would go ahead. I don't think that price is the issue, here.

You can always get more things, but you can't always get more body parts.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Want2, thanks. Yes, I have even obtained a second opinion from another dentist. All very reasonable and now, given medical advances, dental implants even with bone grafts, if necessary, are common with success rates in the 90%+ for non smokers. The bone for the graft come from cadavers. But they tell me it is not like the old black and white scary movies with Boris Karloff running around at night grave robbing. I asked.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #38

I can see the next push from government. 'Free dental care for everyone' How many are without dental insurance? Family must choose between teeth and shelter!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Want2, thanks. Yes, I have even obtained a second opinion from another dentist. All very reasonable and now, given medical advances, dental implants even with bone grafts, if necessary, are common with success rates in the 90%+ for non smokers. The bone for the graft come from cadavers. But they tell me it is not like the old black and white scary movies with Boris Karloff running around at night grave robbing. I asked.
Then if it was me, I'd have the procedure done despite the high cost. Who knows what life will bring? But no matter what your future, you would be able to face life with all of your teeth.

Edited to add: AND, with a great big smile like this: Sure beats a new kitchen that will look old and beat up eventually.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Be sure to ask for stainless steel incisors and granite countertops for the molars, too