Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-17-2009, 09:52 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm surprised somebody else didn't beat me to it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2009, 11:16 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
This is exactly what I meant by deferred maintenance. It is just like putting off work on your house--eventually you have to spend the money, and often, because you waited, it is even more expensive (like a leaky roof that you wait to fix and then have to replace insulation, etc).
Um, no. There was no "deferred maintenance" in this case. My hubby has spent more time (and money) at the dentist in the past 20 years than anyone I know. His family seems to have inherently bad teeth no matter how much upkeep. I on the other hand, have a very bon-vivant attitude about my teeth and have never even had a cavity.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:31 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

30,000 on implants last year.... i couldnt be happier with them
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This really seems to be a "no-brainer." I'm definitely in the "getting your teeth fixed camp." And, I'd try to find the most qualified dentist to do the job and not be concerned as per the cost. See mathjak107 (above).
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
30,000 on implants last year.... i couldnt be happier with them
More info please. Had you been wearing some or all dentures before? Are all your teeth now store bought ones? Are your teeth removable implants or permenant, non-removable? If permanent how onerous is the flossing between posts and does food get under and irritate? Thanks, PM if you wish to be a bit more private, but I'd like to know for my gal who is wearing removables.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

the bottoms are 6 implants and a removable bridge.... the bridge can be cemented in but i prefer to be able to remove it for cleaning although initialy it was cemented in with cement that is designed to release about a year later..... no issues , no food caught, they are ever so comfortable,...tops are removable conventional type as implants are not the greatest on the top
Old 06-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the bottoms are 6 implants and a removable bridge.... the bridge can be cemented in but i prefer to be able to remove it for cleaning although initialy it was cemented in with cement that is designed to release about a year later..... no issues , no food caught, they are ever so comfortable,...tops are removable conventional type as implants are not the greatest on the top

So on the bottom you have 6 posts in the jaw and a complete removable set of lower teeth that clips on the posts?
Old 06-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

exactly, the clip on denture though is very different than those flimsy plastic things... these are rock solid porcellin and titanium pieces of art....they are like actual caps in feel...... they have heft and look as fabulous as if you had caps.

the surgeon was about 14,000 or so and the rest for the dentist who makes up the actual bridge, plus the extractions and the new top bridge....all in all it was about 30,000 and 2 years work as i rejected 1 implant which fell out 6 months into the process.... i need another surgery , no charge and another 6 months healing and adhering

it can take 4-6 months for the bone to grow on the implant sockets and anchor them for actual use...you can barely function as the temporary little plastic denture on the bottom falls out all the time.... id figure a year from start to finish...anything sooner and your lucky
Old 06-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Um, no. There was no "deferred maintenance" in this case. My hubby has spent more time (and money) at the dentist in the past 20 years than anyone I know. His family seems to have inherently bad teeth no matter how much upkeep. I on the other hand, have a very bon-vivant attitude about my teeth and have never even had a cavity.
Holy moly! Well that was the case with my DH, he'd not gone since his 20s and had all those years of no maintenance to fix by the time he was in mid-40s.

I'm kinda glad I married an easy keeper, now that I think about it. I have your same teeth situation, but have had a few cavities. I even have all of my wisdom teeth.

Didn't mean to sound like he was a slacker, like my DH!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:54 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

I need an implant to replace a dead tooth and at price of about $7K I am seriously considering Thailand. If I lived on the East Coast, I'd consider Costa Rica or India if I was talking talking Kitchen remodel prices. My understanding is the main practical thing you are giving up when you go overseas is the ability to win a lawsuit and collect big bucks.

I am also at loss as how a person judges the quality of dentist works. If you ask 4 out of 5 people will say they are happy with their dentist or doctor. There simply isn't enough data out there for a consumer to make an informed judgment that Dentist A who charges $25K is better than Dentist B who charges $20K.

While I am glad Mathjack is happy with his work, I think it is impossible for you to know if the rejected implant was because stuff happens or because the surgeon screwed up.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

you are correct, we never know what to attribute the rejection of 1 implant to
Old 06-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #72
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
If permanent how onerous is the flossing between posts and does food get under and irritate?

I have been using this floss since my restorative dentistry ( lots of crowns and a permanent bridge ) . It works great getting into tight spots .

Oral-B Super Floss
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #73
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wisdom teeth and evolution. Its an interesting thing to read up on. I only had 2 myself.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have been using this floss since my restorative dentistry ( lots of crowns and a permanent bridge ) . It works great getting into tight spots .

Oral-B Super Floss
Our understanding on the permanently affixed implants was that one had to use kind of a needle and thread technique under the fixture and between the posts because the teeth in the fixture were fused together - so no flossing down between them. So with 12 posts thread under the fixture 5 times on top and 5 below with the little plastic threader dragging the floss. Seems pretty involved....

Ahh - i see your linked product has the threaders attached..
Old 06-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

The amazing "Pop In Denture Man" . First you see it and now you don't. Catch that last sentence.

Dental Videos Imtec Snap In Dentures Procedure Multimedia Videos for Cosmetic, Implant, Periodontal, Oral Surgery treatments
cashflo2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Man, I haven't laughed that hard in years!
Old 06-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

I should be more serious on this issue. As I understand the "snap in" denture, they put in the dental implants as usual but leave a small ball exposed that you can either affix the 'snap in" denture or have a restorative crown attached to it. The latter being significantly more expensive that the snap in. P.S. If anybody is doing stuff like Tupperware parties at home that video is available to show in case you want to add another product line.