Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What percentage of your net worth would you spend to have teeth?
Old 06-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What percentage of your net worth would you spend to have teeth?

I have a lot of teeth missing and wear dentures. I am leaning toward dental implants and crowns on existing teeth. My dentist recommends this. It is hideously expensive. My years left to chomp away is probably 20+-. It will have to come out of my retirement portfolio. We need a kitchen redo which will cost about the same but what good is a kitchen if you eventually would have to eat through a straw? So what is a good gauge as to how much I should spend on this?
cashflo2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I nominate this as a candidate for best forum question of the year.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I agree.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
I have a lot of teeth missing and wear dentures. I am leaning toward dental implants and crowns on existing teeth. My dentist recommends this. It is hideously expensive. My years left to chomp away is probably 20+-. It will have to come out of my retirement portfolio. We need a kitchen redo which will cost about the same but what good is a kitchen if you eventually would have to eat through a straw? So what is a good gauge as to how much I should spend on this?

Eight years ago I got braces cost $5,000 and then because they moved teeth I had dental reconstruction cost $14,000 ( that included several crowns and a permanent partial ) . I went for a consult for dental implantation $30,000 and no guarantee that it would work but they turned me down not because of my Visa but because of my asthma . Only you can decide if it's worth it .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ok...I'll bite.... 1% maybe....
Old 06-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #6

Not sure the % but a kitchen remodel wouldn't even be a consideration when compared to the dental work you describe.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

In our little family group one went for removable implants starting in late October last year. The dentist said odds were that a smoker would have a 10% failure rate on the implants - on the good side, that caused smoking to stop, though now Commit lozenges are eaten to keep the nicotine flowing. Had remaining 20 teeth pulled and 12 posts placed (thought was that if non-removable implants were wanted later that the 4 unused posts could simply be uncovered and used as well). The dentist instructs and has 3 different offices, so the hope was that he would be good. It was not a good experience. All the teeth were pulled and posts placed, a set of horribly fitted teeth were slapped on the lacerated gums, and 5 months of misery ensued. We spent $26,300, after a 5% discount for cash and insurance payment. So far. The current set of removables looks and works pretty well, but i do not have warm feelings for the dentist. Food gets under the removables, which causes them to get ripped out of the face for cleaning. Permanent nonremovable implants require flossing between the posts, and i can only imagine how irritating transient food particles must be. The person who got the implants has a very high pain tolerance and had all her dental work except this done without novacaine or any pain meds, just sat and had 'em drilled & filled (Marathon Man: "is it safe?"). Shudder. These were done w/ an IV sedative - Versed?

Bottom line, if $30k resulted in teeth that made one happy, it would be money well spent - once spent it's done and behind you.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

In answer to the question, I regard my teeth to be just as much a part of me as my arms and legs. I am not willing to give arms, legs, or teeth up without a fight and I will spend whatever it takes for reasonable, recommended medical or dental treatment to keep my teeth/arms/legs.

My advice? Do without the kitchen. Get the teeth fixed.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:36 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I need a MAYOR overhaul of my teeth. Upper ones gone. My current denture doesn´t adjust anymnore. The down ones are going the same way. To make things worse, I smoke and not planning to quit in the near future. My problem is not money. From what I´ve read so far dental work is much cheaper in Spain.
My problem is that I´m scared s*****ss. I can¨t face the pain entailed in the whole process.I´ve only heard horror stories. Everybody has told me that they had suffered a lot in the process and some of them aren´t happy at all with the results.
So, irresponsible me is waiting until the last moment-when Iwon´t be able to eat any longer,because there´s no middle of the way of the way preventive measure-It´s taking the rest of the teeth out and put implants in a number enough to allow new dentures.
Answering the question-Having a decent smile and bein able to eat normally beats a remodelled kitchen any time.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:31 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm suddenly inspired to go floss my teeth.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:22 AM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Unless you have a profound kitchen fetish or you're talking about replacing the hand pump at the wash basin and the wood-fired stove, I don't see it's a race.

How will your quality of life increase/decrease if you do/do not have working teeth?

How will your quality of life increase/decrease if you do/do not modernize your kitchen?
rjsciurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
In answer to the question, I regard my teeth to be just as much a part of me as my arms and legs. I am not willing to give arms, legs, or teeth up without a fight and I will spend whatever it takes for reasonable, recommended medical or dental treatment to keep my teeth/arms/legs.

My advice? Do without the kitchen. Get the teeth fixed.

Ditto sentiment here. They say digestion starts in the mouth so teeth are just as much a functional medical issue as a cosmetic dentistry related one. I have a couple of crowns and also a dental implant. I can't tell the latter from any other tooth in my mouth.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:51 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
...but what good is a kitchen if you eventually would have to eat through a straw? So what is a good gauge as to how much I should spend on this?
Point and match on the justification.
The best gauge on spending is the quality of life (enjoying food) you will have long term.
I have a friend who spent $37K on her mouth last year. Her sister generously bankrolled the upfront costs with a payback plan over the years. The w*rk done consisted of solving some underlying major periodontal problems and a full set of new teeth. I don't know the exact details on the replacements. It took numerous sessions, not all of which were enjoyable, but she kept her eye on the ball and got through it all.
I do know she is a much happier camper.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:20 AM   #14

This is generally brought up as an option every time dental work comes up, so I'll do the honors this time: Clean, modern Mexican dentists you can TRUST- Save 75%!.

I'd seriously consider it if I needed expensive dental work (which I very well might). I'm not endorsing it, having never done it, but it is an option.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
This is generally brought up as an option every time dental work comes up, so I'll do the honors this time: Clean, modern Mexican dentists you can TRUST- Save 75%!.

I'd seriously consider it if I needed expensive dental work (which I very well might). I'm not endorsing it, having never done it, but it is an option.
This was suggested and rejected real fast - implants are a process over a 6 month period - you do not want to be 1200 miles away when a newly placed post gets infected. Like that really worked out with the ***** American dentist we went too...
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Whatever it takes, 4%, 8%, going up, and keep them in top-notch condition regardless of age/life expectancy.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I think if it is an either/or on the dental work versus the kitchen, you need the teeth more. I do know, from working with dentists every day, that the sooner this stuff is done, the less expensive it is. Maintenance deferred is still maintenance needed.

Shop around, get a lot of references from other patients that have had the same procedure done, and just consider it a cost of maintaining your general health and well-being.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Ok...I'll bite.... 1% maybe....

This made me laugh pretty hard! thanks BBBAMI! I enjoy chewing things so um a small percentage. It cant cost me that much to get new teeth would it?
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:33 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

My wife had a childhood accident which forced a root canal on one of her upper front teeth. It recently became infected and now we're looking at an implant with close to a $4000 total price tag to replace it. Ouch. Fortunately we're timing it so half of the work is done this year (covered 50% by insurance) and the other half finished in 2010, so at least I can crank up the tax-free MSA contributions for next year to pay for what insurance won't cover in next year's work. Half of this year's bill will either just be eaten or taken from the HSA (haven't decided which yet).
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I enjoy chewing things so um a small percentage. It cant cost me that much to get new teeth would it?
It all depends on the size of your portfolio....