Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I may be hopelessly out of date with this, but I've never seen a hospital in another country that I'd want to be in. I had to laugh at a Jamaican friend who was telling me how great medical care was in Cuba (!) I guess compared to Jamaica, it is fantastic, but I'm sure as heck not going there!
I have. In fact, I've seen about just as many here in the US that are nothing to look forward to. In my limited experience average health care - including dental - here in the US is not different from average care in many countries around the world - developing and developed.

Regarding medical tourism, I am not an advocate for any medical procedure where the performing doctor will not be around to provide post-procedure care. That said, what difference is there between traveling within the US for treatment vs going overseas.
Quote:
I canĻt face the pain entailed in the whole process.Iīve only heard horror stories. Everybody has told me that they had suffered a lot in the process and some of them arenīt happy at all with the results.
Vicente - just do it. The anticipation is always worse than the treatment itself. Besides, all Spaniards complain - about everything. It's a national pastime.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

MichaelB:
I must remind you that fear of dentists is universal. I only have to remember two novels Marathon Man and Falls The Shadow.....
And it isnīt as if Iīve never visited a dentist. Between 2 of them they pulled all my upper teeth and made me a couple of dentures sets.
I know that in the end Iīll have to go. But as Woody Allen said referring to death-Itīs not that Iīm afraid of it, I just donīt want to be there when it happens.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #43
Administrator

Vicente, I understand, and also avoid dentists. But after every visit I always have the exact same thought

"It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, there was more discomfort than pain, my teeth and mouth feel better, so I am not going to delay ever again". Then I delay. Just goes to show that people are not rational...
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Give me enough gas and I'll endure anything....
Old 06-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #45

Dental phobia

Many dentists now offer the option of conscious sedation for procedures and will bring in an "ambulatory" anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist. Of course, you will be charged a fee for this in addition to the restoration fee. Oral surgeons can administer anesthesia when they do an implant or bone graft as they get considerable training in this area in their residency programs. Your general health will be evaluated to see if you are a candidate for in-office anesthesia procedures. I opted to go this route when I had my implant placed and it was great. You will have to bring someone to drive you home if you choose this option.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:54 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
MichaelB:
I must remind you that fear of dentists is universal. I only have to remember two novels Marathon Man and Falls The Shadow.....
And it isnīt as if Iīve never visited a dentist. Between 2 of them they pulled all my upper teeth and made me a couple of dentures sets.
I know that in the end Iīll have to go. But as Woody Allen said referring to death-Itīs not that Iīm afraid of it, I just donīt want to be there when it happens.
With your upper teeth already gone and the gums healed and somewhat used to wearing dentures you are a long way toward having implants with only a bit of the discomfort. You do understand that the benefit of implants on the uppers is that there is no need for the upper plate covering the roof of your mouth? The denture is held in via little O-rings that push over ball-tipped posts. They stay in place really well (4 posts for the uppers in our case). You do want to have a good dentist that does not penetrate the sinus cavity on upper post installation.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I need me some teef...

Fake Teeth Styles in Hardwear

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #48

Quote:
MichaelB:
I must remind you that fear of dentists is universal.
I confess to that malady. Then, I found a solution.

A sadistic dentist removed my wisdom teeth in 1975. Swore off dentists. In 99 I lost a filling and finally broke down. In the meantime a friend had graduated from dentistry and managed to get 20+ years experience. Tried him out. He had the cutest young thing helping him. Really kept my mind off what was happening to me. That's the key. Don't worry about the dentist. The assistant can distract you enough that you don't care when the procedure ends. I actually went back.

As to costs, well, here in the frozen north a replacement filling and a crown came to $600 2 years ago.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:18 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

If I have more than mild discomfort, I ask the dentist to give me more drugs. Repeat as often as necessary.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Kumquat, funny you mentioned that. My dentist has a gorgeous tech named Naomi whom I have developed the hots for. Makes it all worth it.
cashflo2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #51

Initial visit to a new dentist in my parts is between $175 and $275! It has been awhile since I have seen a dentist but that did seem high. In fact my last doctors visit was not that much.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

My hubby has had problems with his teeth all his adult life. Root canals, fillings, impacted wisdom teeth...you name it. Last year I told him to go get them fixed once and for all...and boy, did he. He had every tooth in his mouth capped except for two molars. The cost... $41,000. Yes, I said $41,000. Our insurance paid a whopping $2k, and part of the expense was tax deductible. To him, it was worth every penny. (He's 53; I hope he gets his money's worth out of them...haha.)
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:44 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
$41,000
Gulp!
Old 06-17-2009, 04:42 AM   #54

If itīs just a matter of more gas, anesthesia, painkillers....how come so many people have suffered and are consequently afraid of dental work? Iīm sure some of these remedies donīt always work or are not possible under circunstances....
Old 06-17-2009, 06:31 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
My hubby has had problems with his teeth all his adult life. Root canals, fillings, impacted wisdom teeth...you name it. Last year I told him to go get them fixed once and for all...and boy, did he. He had every tooth in his mouth capped except for two molars. The cost... $41,000. Yes, I said $41,000. Our insurance paid a whopping $2k, and part of the expense was tax deductible. To him, it was worth every penny. (He's 53; I hope he gets his money's worth out of them...haha.)

This is exactly what I meant by deferred maintenance. It is just like putting off work on your house--eventually you have to spend the money, and often, because you waited, it is even more expensive (like a leaky roof that you wait to fix and then have to replace insulation, etc).

My DH had about $8k worth of work done on his teeth at 46 that he's deferred since his 20s. I figure that he came out cheap, and from the sound of your story, I guessed right! Yikes!

And MichaelB, I hope to have better-than-average care, and I certainly know what you mean about the small county hospitals that might be just as scary as those in other countries. But here in Charleston, we have our choice of 4 or 5 excellent hospitals, including the highly regarded university hospital.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #56
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
20 or so years ago, I paid several thousand to fix my SO's teeth.

He didn't have insurance and I simply couldn't let him suffer pain and tooth loss (though he did have the really bad one pulled).

If it's a medically indicated procedure, get the stuff done.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If itīs just a matter of more gas, anesthesia, painkillers....how come so many people have suffered and are consequently afraid of dental work? Iīm sure some of these remedies donīt always work or are not possible under circunstances....
The level of pain tolerance can be one factor. But for me, my problem was trust. I had a dentist that hurt me years ago (then acted as if it was no big deal), so I literally didn't go to him or any other dentist for several years....until I lost part of a filling out of a tooth. I had to go then. I was filled with anxiety and the dentist I had chosen picked up on this immediately.

So, I talked to him and spoke of my fears. He listened to me...really listened. I've been with him for 15 years.

I've decided since I am paying for a service, I will speak my mind and if I am dismissed for being "silly"...I'll move on down the road. It's funny; I've had so many medical procedures done on my body, and those I have sailed through. When it comes to my mouth...it's like I'm 3 years old again....
Old 06-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #58

Keeping the choppers

Yeah, I agree on doing only the necessary work on the teeth. Which for me is keeping them all in in my mouth by various methods(caps, an implant, twice a year cleanings and checkups). I don't care if they are particularly white or straight. Just that they are all there in some form or another. I floss and brush at least twice a day and use so-called enamel building toothpaste and a soft brush. A lot of people feel that the Sonic care toothbrushes(or other similar brands) make a big difference in removing plaques. My dentist recommends them but I still prefer a regular toothbrush that I pitch once a month for a new one.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I need me some teef...

Hey, that's my line! LOL
cashflo2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I need me some teef...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
Hey, that's my line! LOL