Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I live solely on a semi cola pension now, and continue to save 20-25% each month. I built up a cash base large enough that I felt ensured long term safety in relation to all unplanned or unexpected expenses. After I reached that base a few years ago, I am now pumping money monthly into an index fund. Current allocation is around 70% CD- IBonds and 30% stock. Though that ratio will narrow as the years go by. I never plan on touching the stock portion of assets, and hopefully none of the other allocations either.

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets
56 and planning to semi-retire in a few years. Interesting to see the diversity of allocations, most of which I suspect are well-considered. .

I'm now
58% stocks (60%% US; 40% Intern.; 34% large cap; 7% small cap; 17% international)
22% bonds
17% cash
3% alt

I allow myself a 10% sliding band from 50-60% stocks with a 3% trigger over max to rebalance, so if the stock allocation gets to 63%, I'll rebalance.
My ostensible bond allocation is 30% bonds, but I've allowed it to steadily decrease (from 33%) and stocks to increase (from 48%) the last 2.5 years. That's based on my sense that stocks were a steal 3 years ago and a lot better mid/long term value than bonds. Got rid of long-term bond funds then and slowly moved to shorter and alternatives like TIPS and Floating. Sold TIPS fund in May concluding they were grotesquely overvalued. Moving slowly to a higher mix of international bonds and wish I had enough money in taxable to construct a bond ladder and Guggenheim Bulletbonds, but won't happen for a while.

If I think a sector is overvalued, like tech/S&P in 2000, or housing/stocks in '06, I'll reduce down to the minimum value (or a bit lower, like now in bonds). I adjust monthly 401/403 contributions to buy back into the sector slowly, but that won't work as a strategy after retirement in the next few years, so I'm mulling over that piece. Quirky, but it's worked so far since 1998.
Past returns are not predictive of future gains, TBS.

RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote