Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2017, 01:47 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats on your survival and your wisdom in quitting.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2017, 01:48 AM   #42

Post was for imoldernu. Missed the quote button.....
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:43 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Once I hit my financial goals I decided I'd wait until the next heart-pounding, stress-causing, frustration-inducing work situation to pull the trigger. Of course that opportunity presented itself pretty quickly so I returned to my office, sent an email to my wife that the time had come, quickly composed a resignation letter providing two months notice, and presented it to the CEO that afternoon.

That was three years ago this month and I've never regretted it since.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:11 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
High taxes.
You think you have it bad, I live in Nova Scotia, which has the highest taxes of any province in Canada.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:34 PM   #45

Not sure if this is the right topic....but I wanted to say that I retired (mostly) 4 years ago. One of the biggest benefits has been the extra time I have been able to spend with my grandkids. I always worked FT so I missed out on a lot when my son was growing up. Water under the bridge, but I have made sure to enjoy everything I can with the grandkids.

I know everyone's situation is different, but this has meant a lot to me.
iloveyoga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #46

Waking up in a hotel room on a multi city business trip and not knowing where I was!
Old 03-23-2017, 04:36 PM   #47
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Waking up in a hotel room on a multi city business trip and not knowing where I was!

Duets

the trailer nails it. great salesman movie!

Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:49 PM   #48

Congrats. I had to keep w**king until mid 2005 to keep medical coverage for my wife, who had been brain injured. After she passed away, I kept w**king to have something to fill the hours.
Two years later I remarried to a wonderful lady who had also lost her spouse. That did it!
I hung around until mid January to get my 7% profit sharing, took the last train to Clarksville (actually Ventura). Two days later we were on a plane to Santiago Chile for a two week South American tour.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:58 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Hum, I'm there, but not there yet. My conservative nature!
Achieved my goals, paid off house, paid cash for winter home in Florida. No debt.........but just turning 62 last weekend, the thought of paying for health insurance for the next 3 years is holding me back.

SS and annuity will cover all our expenses in 3 years. Love the idea of not touching my money.

The thought of no more big salary.....paying for stuff with my own money bugs me.

Then today I got my new sales quota which was ridiculous and was close to telling them to shove it.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:39 AM   #50

I was satisfied with work and my job years, (and years), ago. Then along came a move and reorganization. I worked rotating shifts, too. The job was not good as the old days even though it payed more. Then rumors of another reorganization and my job might be eliminated. That was about 15 years ago. The realization came then that I needed to be ready for anything that came along. My attitude changed about work and the job. We paid everything off, and I maxed out the 401, IRA's, and investments. I found out my job was not going to be eliminated and we stuck to the grindstone. My goal was to retire at the earliest age to get a full retirement. That was 56. And at age 56 and two weeks I was out the door. I was mentally ready to go years ago. My retirement is more than double what we were used to be living on. We don't owe anyone a thing. I have been a Free Man for just over three years and thank my lucky stars every day. I feel sorry for the saps still stuck out there. But, it's up to you to make your luck and not be helpless. Now I can do all the things I had been wanting to do but the job was always in the way.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:32 AM   #51
Dryer sheet wannabe

A few factors converged that made the decision easy.

1. Once achieving FI, it was just a matter of time.
2. Work had become more and more like work over the previous 10 years. The pace of high tech was too much for this aging engineer.
3. My product line was being phased out, so I would have had to start a new project.
4. My dad's cancer was taking a turn for the worse. We spent a lot more time together the last 6 months of his life than we would have if I had kept working.
5. I had been cutting back my hours over the previous few years. Days off were much more enjoyable than my days at work.
6. The last straw was an unpleasant encounter with a co-worker who blew a minor issue WAY out of proportion. Why put up with that?

That was May of last year. The decision was obvious. Absolutely no regrets!
Old 03-24-2017, 11:23 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Almost 39 years was enough, stress getting to me (heart palpatations), tired of reading about FF'S my age dying everyday, dad died at 69 and I qualified to retire. First three months I was lost. I missed the brotherhood and "guys", cried a lot. I wasn't prepared for the emotions of leaving a life long career. That's in the past now and I am stress free and loving being retired.
p.s. I talked to an old boss before I pulled the trigger and asked "when did you know it was time to leave". He said when I didn't really feel like giving a full measure of effort and didn't look forward to coming in to work. Well, that was fitting me as well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Backdraft57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:23 PM   #53

We built a lake house. We were going to be "weekenders" for 3 to 5 years. We would go up for a weekend and just hate to go back to the city on Sunday. On the way home after about 6 months of weekending, I said to DW. "Why are we doing this? We have more money than we need, and we both hate going home on Sunday" I quit one month later and she three. (School teacher end of year) Moved to the lake full time and never looked back!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote