Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 05:37 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lots of good things, but one of the best was joining my company 401(k) back in the 80's. I did not know what I was doing, but I signed up and then each year I increased my deferral. In later years I was able to max out. We had great plan design and decent investment offerings. I used the stock investment options right from the start, along with the real estate option.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2017, 05:44 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Peter Lynch?
Yep!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 11-04-2017, 05:55 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

First I had an uncle who mentored me as a teenager in investing and saving.
Second, married my LBYM spouse.
Third, at age 22 took the risk and DW & I moved out of state, bought a business financed by the owner. We grew the business, maxed out SEP contributions and saved, saved, saved.
Retired last year age 61/60
Old 11-04-2017, 05:56 AM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Back in 2001 (prior to 9/11,) I relocated from Washington, D.C. to North Carolina. Once in NC, I found out that if you worked for the State of NC for 5 years, a State employee would receive paid Healthcare from Age 60 onward.

I spent the next three years applying for a State position and I hit the hiring lottery in September 2004. Not knowing the process was rigged, I ended up getting a job with the State which I have subsequently stayed with for the past 13 years.

This benefit is no longer available to new hires and the State is still keeping their part of the bargain. The gift that keeps on giving...
Old 11-04-2017, 06:15 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
Maybe you have many but I’m guessing to be Fired you had to have hit at least 1 homer

Stock options and patience to hold most of them to near full term over many years. An fortunate to have them with a mega that grew consistently for a lot of years.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:26 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Marrying a LBYM man with the same values and goals, which set the stage for FI/RE success.

Starting my own business as soon as I graduated from college. Retired 20 years later.

Spending my IRA contribution in Jan 2001 buying AAPL at a split-adjusted price of $1.26. As of yesterday, a 136-bagger.

Investing in commercial real estate and lucking into a dream long-term tenant.

The biggest rewards have come from taking risks. Except for the marriage — I already knew he was even cheaper than I was!

--

retired mid-2000s age 42
Old 11-04-2017, 07:07 AM   #67

DCAing over 40 years into stocks and MFs.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:17 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Married my DW.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:21 AM   #69

I can think of a few but, most of the way was slow and steady up:

1- Buying a house when I was 24 and flipping it 3 months after taking possession and rolling the 25% gain into a second house.
2- Dumping my full service brokers and financial advisers while in my mid 20's and taking charge of my investments
3- Marrying the right person - a saver (25 years and counting)
4- Buying a second home in Florida after the financial crisis at 22 cents on the dollar - that investment has more than tripled.
5- Leaving the corporate rat race and retiring at 55
Old 11-04-2017, 08:44 AM   #70

No home run, but a couple of doubles:

1. DW accumulating generous retirement account contributions in her mid-20s to mid-30s and, unlike most of her colleagues at the time, leaving it alone.

2. My accumulating 25 years plus years of credits on a job with a traditional, inflation protected (for now) pension.

There may be a third base hit coming, a stock ownership plan at DWs current company which looks to be growing nicely.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:45 AM   #71
gone traveling

Surprised with the responses and lack of power, I see lots of dinks and dunks, singles and doubles but not many base clearing hits. I thought I’d see some early Apple or Facebook holders or some business owner who blew up their business or some similar stories
Old 11-04-2017, 08:55 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I bought AAPL back in '97 for a split adjusted price of ~$.60. I bought 200 shares, mostly because I was really pissed off at Bill Gates and MS at the time and Steve Jobs had just come back. I sold and rebought a few times, finally selling at $89/share. So that's a 150 bagger, which would work out to 37 HRs (plus a double). Not a great part of my net worth, but definitely fun and a good bragging point. I do, however, tend to forget to mention Enron and WorldCom. I fully intend to buy some more AAPL next time it drops down to $89..
we bought in early then when it got to $75, sold it all and repurchase half at $52. In those days I believed in asset allocation. Still holding 2100 shares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
I can think of a few but, most of the way was slow and steady up:

1- Buying a house when I was 24 and flipping it 3 months after taking possession and rolling the 25% gain into a second house.
2- Dumping my full service brokers and financial advisers while in my mid 20's and taking charge of my investments
3- Marrying the right person - a saver (25 years and counting)
4- Buying a second home in Florida after the financial crisis at 22 cents on the dollar - that investment has more than tripled.
5- Leaving the corporate rat race and retiring at 55
Pretty similar story for me! Corporate moves covered the flipping costs. Maximized employee stock purchases. DW#2 very practical.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:02 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Surprised with the responses and lack of power, I see lots of dinks and dunks, singles and doubles but not many base clearing hits. I thought I’d see some early Apple or Facebook holders or some business owner who blew up their business or some similar stories
I guess that proves that "boring" LBYM and smart choices by reasonable people is usually all that is required to retire early...
Old 11-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #74
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
I was fairly pleased with myself when I purchased Ford bonds back during the bankruptcy scare.

The face rate was 9% and I bought them at a 50% discount. They mature in 2021.
I think the YTM is something like 17% per year.

I smile every six months when the interest payment comes in.
Thats awesome! Classic high risk high reward. Luckily you picked ford and not GM!
Old 11-04-2017, 09:14 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Several extra-base hits including a few homeruns.

Homerun #1 - working for a company which began its ESOP program during my prime earnings years of the late 199s so my holdings would be worth nearly $300k, my magic number for me to retire 9 years ago at age 45.

Homerun #2 - not strictly a financial decision, but it turned out that way - my decision at age 20 to be childfree. The money I didn't spend every year, keeping my expenses nice and low while building a nice, big portfolio, has greatly enabled me to retire 9 years ago at age 45.

Triple - buying my co-op apartment in 1989. While this was just before the RE market tumbled in 1990, the savings compared to renting only grew over time, leading to the first "double" shown below.

Double #1 - using some of the market gains of the late 1990s to pay off my mortgage in 1998, only 9 years after obtaining it. This was a big step toward being able to semi-retire in 2001, leading to my ER 7 years later.

Double #2 - finding a good bond fund to invest the proceeds of the ESOP cash-out, a solid monthly income source to fund most of my expenses in my ER.

Single #1 - paying off my high-interest (~8%) student loans in 1987, less than 2 years after I had to begin repaying them. I owed only about $8,000 at the start, but getting it out of the way saved me some money.

Single #2 - doing research and buying good, reliable cars and making sure they lasted a while. The car I bought in 1992, a 1-year-old used car, lasted until early 2007. Its replacement car is now just over 10 years old and should last me at least 5 more years.

Single #3 - all the money I saved by never wanting to smoke any cigarettes.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 11-04-2017, 09:36 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I guess that proves that "boring" LBYM and smart choices by reasonable people is usually all that is required to retire early...
+1

No home runs here. LBYM. Lots of uphill-battling education- and career-wise (the pioneer female in a "male" field (engineering) in a "male" industry (automotive)). Spent too much time and effort focusing on career. Stock options expired underwater. Dodged a bullet with ex-BF (who had champagne tastes on a beer budget).

Managed to retire comfortably at 56.

omni
Old 11-04-2017, 09:44 AM   #77

Quote:
Lack of power?

The power of patience. The power of discipline. The power of delayed gratification and LBYM. The power of distinguishing between "wants" and "needs."

See: The Tortoise and the Hare (Aesop)

Perhaps not as flashy as a "home run" but much more enduring.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #78
Dryer sheet aficionado

Bought a condo in Seattle in 2016, sold it a year later for a 47% gain.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:48 AM   #79
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Lack of power?

The power of patience. The power of discipline. The power of delayed gratification and LBYM. The power of distinguishing between "wants" and "needs."

See: The Tortoise and the Hare (Aesop)

Perhaps not as flashy as a "home run" but much more enduring.
+1

It apeears the OP believes in the get-rich-quick school of wealth accumulation and does not understand that the vast majority of the posters here achieved FIRE in a far less flashy way.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:30 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

LBYM, consistently staying employed with good benefits, investing max tax deferred, owning real estate that has appreciated, occasional side hustle

Sandra
Closed Thread