Join Early Retirement Today

What’s The Best Way To Invest-Speculate In Silver Coins ?
Old 04-29-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm ‘not’ looking to amass hundreds of pounds of silver, & I'm not a doomsday prepper.
I just want to have a small percentage of my total assets in this metal. I'd like to amass at least 500 ounces.
*No political comments please*

I decided to go with 90.00% silver 50 cent pieces. I started buying ‘lots’ on eBay in early March. I'm up to 292 coins consisting of around 70.00% 1964 Kennedy’s, 20.00% Franklins & 10.00% Walking Liberties. As far as the condition of the coins, the Franklin & the WL’s I'm buying are in circulated condition, & the Kennedy’s are mostly circulated as well, although there's probably about 20 that would be very close to brilliant uncirculated, & another 40 near mint.

At this point, my ‘total’ cost for the 292 coins is $2,122.84 or $7.27 apiece.
90.00% 50 cent pieces have 0.362 Troy oz. silver.
0.362 x 3 = 1.086 Troy oz. Translation: 3 halves = just over 1 ounce silver.

To get a total of 500 oz, I’d have to buy 1,382.00 of them.
1,382.00 x 0.362 = 500.284 oz

If my cost basis per coin stayed at $7.27, I’d spend $10,047.14 for the 500 ounces. ($20.09 per oz)
1,382.00 x 7.27 = $10,047.14

I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't be a lot easier to go this route ?
https://www.usmoneyreserve.com/shop/...n-monster-box/

$10,111.46 for 500 1-ounce 99.9% pure silver American Eagle Coins. ($20.22 per oz)

Or this.
https://www.jmbullion.com/1-oz-sunshine-silver-round/

$9,020.00 for 500 1 oz Sunshine silver rounds, version V2 with anti-counterfeit technology. ($18.04 per oz)

It’s my understanding that there is no sales tax on these transactions. And I don't believe the government is informed in anyway, unless the transaction is $10,000.00 or more ?
This would make option 3 even more attractive in my opinion.

Look forward to any & all, suggestions/tips, opinions, etc
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2017, 05:10 PM   #2
gone traveling

Eagles cost more but you get more when you sell, doesn't really matter, all options will result in the same thing, protecting your wealth.
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
when you sell them u will get about the melt price, sooo....
Old 04-29-2017, 05:16 PM   #3

when you sell them u will get about the melt price, sooo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
I'm ‘not’ looking to amass hundreds of pounds of silver, & I'm not a doomsday prepper.
I just want to have a small percentage of my total assets in this metal. I'd like to amass at least 500 ounces.
*No political comments please*

I decided to go with 90.00% silver 50 cent pieces. I started buying ‘lots’ on eBay in early March. I'm up to 292 coins consisting of around 70.00% 1964 Kennedy’s, 20.00% Franklins & 10.00% Walking Liberties. As far as the condition of the coins, the Franklin & the WL’s I'm buying are in circulated condition, & the Kennedy’s are mostly circulated as well, although there's probably about 20 that would be very close to brilliant uncirculated, & another 40 near mint.

At this point, my ‘total’ cost for the 292 coins is $2,122.84 or $7.27 apiece.
90.00% 50 cent pieces have 0.362 Troy oz. silver.
0.362 x 3 = 1.086 Troy oz. Translation: 3 halves = just over 1 ounce silver.

To get a total of 500 oz, I’d have to buy 1,382.00 of them.
1,382.00 x 0.362 = 500.284 oz

If my cost basis per coin stayed at $7.27, I’d spend $10,047.14 for the 500 ounces. ($20.09 per oz)
1,382.00 x 7.27 = $10,047.14

I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't be a lot easier to go this route ?
https://www.usmoneyreserve.com/shop/...n-monster-box/

$10,111.46 for 500 1-ounce 99.9% pure silver American Eagle Coins. ($20.22 per oz)

Or this.
https://www.jmbullion.com/1-oz-sunshine-silver-round/

$9,020.00 for 500 1 oz Sunshine silver rounds, version V2 with anti-counterfeit technology. ($18.04 per oz)

It’s my understanding that there is no sales tax on these transactions. And I don't believe the government is informed in anyway, unless the transaction is $10,000.00 or more ?
This would make option 3 even more attractive in my opinion.

Look forward to any & all, suggestions/tips, opinions, etc
buy the 18.04 silver coins, unless you get lucky when you go to sell them they will give u about 95 % of the spot melt, i went this route with a gold bar, i converted the bar to 50 dollar us gold pieces , i think i paid 5 % above melt when i bought them, same reason as u, protect my family in case of disaster. i turned a 1998 $50 gold coin into an awesome money clip.
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:12 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In case of disaster I expect a different heavy metal than gold would be more valuable, but YMMV.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:58 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I had considered the silver rounds as the low-margin way to buy silver, but I wonder how well they would be accepted if it got to the point that metal was spending money again. More Americans will recognize pre-1965 coins as silver and perhaps value them more highly than the rounds of vague origin and composition. There might be more trust in the silver eagles, but few would have experience with them. If you are just going to sell back to a precious metal dealer, any of these should work. Presumably the relative mark-ups wont change much.

For how much longer will most folks recognize that pre-'65 coinage is a different animal from the current version? When was the last time you found silver in your change? I think it has been pretty well vacuumed out of circulation by now, save for some ignorant kids occasionally spending some old coins at face value. I recently went through my change jar to see if there was any silver I had overlooked. I found just one "war nickel".
Svensk Anga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
In case of disaster I expect a different heavy metal than gold would be more valuable, but YMMV.
Well that was certainly helpful.
I'm guessing you're talking about ammunition ?
Old 04-29-2017, 08:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk Anga View Post
save for some ignorant kids occasionally spending some old coins at face value.
It's funny you mention that, because just last week I found a 2014 Shenandoah
proof quarter in my change.

Thanks for your opinion/input
Old 04-29-2017, 08:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
buy the 18.04 silver coins, unless you get lucky when you go to sell them they will give u about 95 % of the spot melt, i went this route with a gold bar, i converted the bar to 50 dollar us gold pieces , i think i paid 5 % above melt when i bought them, same reason as u, protect my family in case of disaster. i turned a 1998 $50 gold coin into an awesome money clip.
I was sort of leaning that way.

But I suppose it's like 97Guns said.
"One costs more, but you get more, another costs less, but you also get less"

That does sound like one awesome money clip!
Thanks for the reply/input
Old 04-29-2017, 08:30 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Not being political with this post... but I had a boss who was always talking about silver and gold... and how it would protect him etc. etc....

So my question to you is.... how is $10K of silver going to change your life in any way if everything goes to heck

Also, buying real gold and silver has a high commission on it... you lose big time in the exchange.... you are looking to buy at $20+ per coin and silver is just around $17 per ounce... that is a HUGE markup...

If you want silver to be able to spend it then yes you need coins... but, you can buy bars at a cheaper price...

Me, I bought the silver fund... bought at less than $20 and sold when it went over $40.... bought again when it went down, but sold at a loss... I do not think it is a good investment...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:32 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I prefer the 1oz rounds. Easy to carry and divisible. I got a couple of bars once, for the novelty I guess, but I won't do that again. Actually, I'm not buying anymore bullion at all; my little pot is enough for the sake of diversity and its hard to consider silver an investment since bullion doesn't pay dividends.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:38 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
Well that was certainly helpful.
I'm guessing you're talking about ammunition ?
What I am hinting at is: what set of circumstances do you envision under which a pile of silver will be helpful and things will not have descended to the point where someone will not simply take it from you?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:13 PM   #12

Quote:
What I am hinting at is: what set of circumstances do you envision under which a pile of silver will be helpful and things will not have descended to the point where someone will not simply take it from you?
I didn't start this thread to get into a debate. I did say I welcomed all opinions, & you certainly stated yours.

Let's just leave it at that.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:19 PM   #13
gone traveling

I've been accumulating silver and gold since 2009 and topped out at 16000oz of silver before finding myself in need of funds for a project, I've sold off around 5000oz in a year or so,. It is my savings account and it has done just as well and better than money in the bank and it's almost as easy as going to the ATM for money, all forms are very liquid
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:32 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

You know - werewolfs. or new career as the lone stranger

Had hopes for this site, but the bullets lack push:
Silver Bullets for Sale | Silver Bullet Bullion | APMEX Ammo

We went with a bit of gold back when 1999 was drawing to a close and the world was about to end. Not enough to sustain us for long periods of time, but maybe enough to bribe our way across a border or something. Decided if the world got that bad we were all screwed anyway, so while we haven't sold we didn't add anything (until this Christmas, when I got the gal a bunch of indian head nickles to maybe use as buttons and a gold indian to match.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
You know - werewolfs. or new career as the lone stranger

Had hopes for this site, but the bullets lack push:
Silver Bullets for Sale | Silver Bullet Bullion | APMEX Ammo

We went with a bit of gold back when 1999 was drawing to a close and the world was about to end. Not enough to sustain us for long periods of time, but maybe enough to bribe our way across a border or something. Decided if the world got that bad we were all screwed anyway, so while we haven't sold we didn't add anything (until this Christmas, when I got the gal a bunch of indian head nickles to maybe use as buttons and a gold indian to match.
I suppose it's my fault, asking for everyone's opinion.
So if the reply you gave, somehow makes you feel better about yourself, I say good for you!
u needed like a bazillion German reichsmarks to buy bread
Old 04-29-2017, 10:10 PM   #16

u needed like a bazillion German reichsmarks to buy bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Not being political with this post... but I had a boss who was always talking about silver and gold... and how it would protect him etc. etc....

So my question to you is.... how is $10K of silver going to change your life in any way if everything goes to heck

Also, buying real gold and silver has a high commission on it... you lose big time in the exchange.... you are looking to buy at $20+ per coin and silver is just around $17 per ounce... that is a HUGE markup...

If you want silver to be able to spend it then yes you need coins... but, you can buy bars at a cheaper price...

Me, I bought the silver fund... bought at less than $20 and sold when it went over $40.... bought again when it went down, but sold at a loss... I do not think it is a good investment...
since i had extra dough(pun intended) i bought some gold,if hyperinflation happens ill feed my family for a few weeks till i regroup, and figure out what to do. if im dead wrong i slept better since 1999 because of this. turns out it was a terrible investment either, i paid mid to high 200 an ounce im thinking 285?
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 04-29-2017, 10:34 PM   #17

I have both nusmatic coins (your current method) and bullion. If you just want 500 troy ounces of silver, it's easier to buy 1 oz silver eagles, or even cheaper to buy 1oz bullion coins from (rounds) private mints. Canadian maple leafs are another good option.

Sorry your plea to keep answers relevent to just your specific concern went ignored. What your doing has merit and many good wealth plans include covering this option as well. Most folks really don't understand how liquid gold and silver can be nor how it is bought or sold on the spot market with small fees over spot price.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:47 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

This is much cheaper...

Buy 50 oz Silver Bullion Bars (.999+) Online - Silver.com

Ten bars for $9075 ... easier to stack...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
the coins are a better deal
Old 04-29-2017, 11:10 PM   #19

the coins are a better deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
This is much cheaper...

Buy 50 oz Silver Bullion Bars (.999+) Online - Silver.com

Ten bars for $9075 ... easier to stack...
i had bullion, its a pain to sell, the 1 oz coins are a quick trade
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 04-30-2017, 02:39 AM   #20

Pros for 1964/earlier silver US coins:
Easy to id. Hard to counterfeit (is anyone going to give them that worn look?). Some are really beautiful: walking liberty, and merc dime.

Cons: Some are so worn they could be discounted if sold since their weight is less.

Also, congrats on buying 50 cent pieces. 2 seem much cheaper than a silver dollar, which have been hoarded for years.

Some nice deals on 99.99 one ounce "special occasion" silver rounds out there (baby's first coin, happy anniversary, Merry Christmas, Peanuts characters, etc.)

When I was a teen, in mid-60's, a quarter would buy a gallon of gas, or, a soda and a candy bar. Today at $3.10 melt value, the math is still about the same for those silver quarters. Sure, no dividends, but not a bad return on an "insurance" investment.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote