Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is good stuff. I think the answer comes down to risk tolerance. If you don't like risk, pay off the mortgage as you go to get the guaranteed return and if you don't mind taking some risk, use the sinking fund approach. The lower your mortgage rate and the higher your tax bracket, the greater the argument for the sinking fund. Personally, I do a little of each.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Heck. I was hoping we could finally settle this argument once and for all...
That's easy REW, Suze Orman says:

Pay off your mortgage before you stop working. It’s not nearly as hard as you may think.
Once you are in a home you intend to stay in, I want you to accelerate your mortgage payments so you get the loan paid off well before you retire. Just think about this for a second. For most of us, the monthly mortgage is our biggest financial obligation. So if we can eliminate this cost we are going to need a whole lot less to “make ends meet” in retirement.

Question answered.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
That's easy REW, Suze Orman says:
"Straight from the horse's financial expert's mouth", is that what you're sayin'...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orman_Suze_240x250_v2.jpg (25.5 KB, 48 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
"Straight from the horse's financial expert's mouth", is that what you're sayin'...?
Yup. Now that her face is in front of me I can hear that awful voice in the quotes I posted.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFPMatt View Post
I think the answer comes down to risk tolerance. If you don't like risk, pay off the mortgage as you go to get the guaranteed return and if you don't mind taking some risk, use the sinking fund approach.
There are, of course, different kinds of risk. I think you've addressed the conventional "standard deviation of my investment returns" risk. There are other risks/opportunities that can best be avoided/seized with a wad of readily available cash. When folks no longer have an income stream, it's hard to turn a house into that. When mortgage rates go up it will be expensive to turn a house into that for anyone. On the other hand, a wad of cash can always be used to pay off the house.

Do all these folks who breathe a sigh of relief at finally paying off the house ("now I'll have a home regardless of what happens") live in places without property taxes?
Old 07-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I took flying lessons, my instructor said to keep in mind, "It's better to be on the ground wishing you were up there, than to be up there and wishing you were on the ground."

Cash is king.
You can always turn cash into equity. You cannot always (or cheaply) turn equity into cash.