Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Thanks for all the responses and site references. Some people did, but not too many commented on whether you periodically talk(ed) to your colleagues and to what degree. Perhaps that's a sign that not too many people do.

Appreciate all the responses.

Regarding salary ranges, they are some help but problem is... (a) they are too large in our megacorp, and (b) even with that, there are people outside of these ranges (on both sides I believe). Also, say a range is 70k-130k. That does NOT mean that people earn 100k on average in that range. It could be that majority are making 120-125k for example.

Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
That will not be useful since they will not disclose the actual compensation unless they actually make you an offer.
Yes, I meant actually getting the offers.

smjsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Another decent source of anonymous salary data and company reviews, esp megacorps, can be found on For large companies you can also split the data by location which certainly affects the salary ranges for the same job.

jblack is offline   Reply With Quote
research salaries
Old 07-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
research salaries

Originally Posted by smjsl View Post
Somewhat of a taboo subject at my megacorp... I wonder what you are doing to figure out what your compensation should be (or what you used to do when you were working)?

Aside from your management chain do (did) your other coworkers know about your salary, how a big a raise you got this year, how big of a bonus, etc? Do you know about theirs? How?

What other methods do you use? Any good websites (aside from

In my case, I have 1-2 trusted coworkers with whom I share periodically whether they or I got bonuses/options/raises during the usual time of the year. We get as far as talking percentages but not actual numbers, so I have no idea how much they are making. I also only have suspicions about how I compare to the average comparable person in our megacorp, but really don't know for sure...

For what it's worth, on every "handout" I get from management for many years now, I get a lot of praises and the standard "this year we did not have much to go around, but we were able to get you ... " line. This happens both with what I think are large and small raises, but I guess I never know for sure how large is "large" and how small is "small"... Is that x% raise really good or not really? hmm...

P.S. In my search, I came across some small county which listed 100s of its employees on the internet along with everyone's salary, benefits, etc. So, I guess it's not a taboo subject everywhere after all...

P.P.S. Well, one good method of finding out your overall compensation goal is interviewing periodically with other companies. If you do this, how often do you do this? Do you get any references from your current coworkers?
Without going through the effort of interviewing, you can do some quick/informal research by talking to headhunters who specialize in your field. Be as candid with the headhunters as you can about your qualifications (degrees/credentials, years of experience, skill set, current title, etc.) and ask for their opinion on whether they believe there are opportunities in the current job market where you can be making 20% or more than your total current compensation. You don't need to submit your resume to start this dialogue. Headhunters are eager to get as many candidates into their "inventory" of talent to present to their clients. One caveat, the numbers that the headhunters give you will be on the high end because they would like to entice you to work with them so they can hopefully place you and earn a commission. So if they mention that you are worth "x" dollars I would take that number and subtract 10% from it to get closer to a realistic number of what you are "worth" in the market.
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
There is a site that lists many government salaries in WA state. This may be of use or interest to those looking for salary data.

2009 Wash. St. & 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005 Wash. St. City, County, Port, ect..., Employees Salary and Job Title
powerplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by jblack View Post
Another decent source of anonymous salary data and company reviews, esp megacorps, can be found on For large companies you can also split the data by location which certainly affects the salary ranges for the same job.
The salary (listed in that site) based on my title and company is pretty close to what I am making.
May we live in peace and harmony and be free from all human sufferings.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
Thanks everyone for responses. Very interesting.

I especially want to thank hornedToad and jblack for bringing glassdoor site to my attention. Did not know about it but it turned out very useful!

smjsl is offline   Reply With Quote