Join Early Retirement Today

What To Do w/ Existing 401k?
Old 03-29-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

What To Do w/ Existing 401k?

Recently found this site, so trying to learn before I make the next move Appreciate any help you can provide.

Primary retirement was previous employer sponsored 401k. Got laid off and have accepted employment elsewhere. New employer does not have a formalized retirement plan (yet). Also, have a few dollars I'd like to move from savings to a safe, easily accessible and decent growth account. All things combined, I have a few questions:

1a. Should I move my 401k? Existing plan is with reputable company, but options are limited to about 20 funds. Last year ROR was approx 30%.

1b. Where do I move the 401k? I know the answer is traditional IRA initially, maybe convert to ROTH. Just not sure WHO to use. Met w/ the company that holds my 401k -- they are happy to do the IRA, but fees seemed more expensive. Also met with EJ advisor. We haven't discussed fees, but I presume it may be a similar experience. Thought about Scottstrade, but I'm not a finance guru and may need some advise to get me setup properly.

2. For new retirement funds, ROTH or traditional IRA? Obviously I would be investing taxed dollars, so ROTH jumps out. But if I invest in traditional, I understand I get a tax write off the end of the year.

3. Biggest concern with new employer not having 401k is I will exceed the $5,500 threshold. What's the next best investment for the overflow?

4. What type of account/fund should I be looking at for the extra from my savings? I want growth, but nothing overly risky and liquidity of a few weeks.

I can provide more info as needed. Just trying to get lined up right.
69supabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1a. If you like the funds offered, you can leave it there. What are the expense ratios of those funds? You are looking for low cost index funds as a starting point.

1b. Vanguard, Fidelity, or Schwab would be the first three I'd look at. That would be do it yourself mostly, but pretty much no costs to you. Vanguard can set up a portfolio for you for a one-time charge or free if you are moving enough to them.

2. Roth vs. IRA is principally a tax consideration. If you have a higher tax rate now than you will after you retire, use a traditional IRA. If you are at the same rate or higher, use the Roth. You might also consider a Roth if you have no Roth accounts now. That gets a 5 year clock started and gives you some tax diversification, even if it might not be completely optimum.

3. You may just need to use a normal taxable account, from one of the brokers listed above. Invest tax efficiently, mostly equities, low dividends. Index equity funds are a good choice. A Health Savings Account is nice if you have that health insurance option.

4. A target retirement fund with a nearby date will give you a fairly conservative one fund option. Or select a total stock market, total international stock market, total bond market combination. Vanguard Wellesley or Wellington might be attractive. As far as liquidity, watch out for redemption fee periods. Many funds charge an additional fee if you sell your shares within 30 to 360 days of purchase. Otherwise, it will take less than a week to access your portfolio by selling shares and transferring cash to your bank.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Where do I move the 401k? I know the answer is traditional IRA initially, maybe convert to ROTH. Just not sure WHO to use.
If you wish to save money on expenses you should probably consider making an exchange into Vanguard (VG) funds. Your 401(k) probably has fees (expenses) that are greater than what you will experience at VG. Most employer-sponsored plans do.

I have rolled-over a few 401(K) accumulations as well as a profit sharing accumulation to VG years ago and expenses have actually decreased since that time. More for me. Less for them.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

If your current 401k has a stable value fund that pays a decent rate of interest then keep you fixed income allocation in the 401k.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:18 AM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks for the input. Obviously fee structure is important to me, but within reason as my overall goal is the most return on my money.

I am not disagreeing with anyone -- but why is Vanguard, Fidelity and Schwab recommended over Scottstrade? Is it a "red is better than blue" argument, or other more solid reasons?

Below is a list of funds I am currently invested in via my 401k:

JLGMX JPMorgan Large Cap Growth R6 Fund JLGMX Quote Price News
MEIJX MFS Value R4 Fund MEIJX Quote Price News
VINIX Vanguard Institutional Index I Fund VINIX Quote Price News
APHQX Artisan Mid Cap Value Institutional Fund APHQX Quote Price News
VSISX Vanguard Small Cap Index Signal Fund VSISX Quote Price News
RNPGX American Funds New Perspective R6 Fund RNPGX Quote Price News
69supabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Also, if you plan to retire 'early' then I would leave the 401k where it is.

If you roll it over to an IRA, you will have to pay a penalty tax if you tap into it before 59 1/2.

If you leave it in the 401k and retire before 59 1/2, you can draw on it w/o an early withdrawal penalty tax (although the amount you draw out will be taxed as 'ordinary income').
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69supabee View Post
I am not disagreeing with anyone -- but why is Vanguard, Fidelity and Schwab recommended over Scottstrade? Is it a "red is better than blue" argument, or other more solid reasons?
Vanguard, Fidelity, and Schwab are big and will naturally have more customers here. I have no experience with Scottstrade. You're just looking for no fees, a large selection of no transaction fee mutual funds that you like (low cost index funds would be nice), a good selection of no-commission ETF's if you want them, an easy to use website, and good customer service.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
Also, if you plan to retire 'early' then I would leave the 401k where it is.

If you roll it over to an IRA, you will have to pay a penalty tax if you tap into it before 59 1/2.

If you leave it in the 401k and retire before 59 1/2, you can draw on it w/o an early withdrawal penalty tax (although the amount you draw out will be taxed as 'ordinary income').
No disagreement, but that(early withdrawal) is defined in each plans' Summary Plan Description(SPD). You may be able to do early withdrawals penelty free, my plan allows and its very liberal as many xfers as I want, set up periodic withdrawls..... Some plans don't allow or have strict limits on termination at this age, or they limit the withdrawls you can make. YMMV.

Definitely check into it. Of course there's 72t as another alternative.
Yes you are taxed either way, you just avoid the penalty.
Best wishes,
MRG
Edit- attempt to define vague wording.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote