Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt View Post
Just for what its worth.
For those unaware certain Money Market Funds w/some custodians are not FDIC insured to 250k either.

The (moneymarketfunds) are considered "investments".
Just sayin.......
https://www.statefarm.com/simple-ins...y-market-funds

little things matter.........bank accounts are usually called money market (deposit) accounts and have the FDIC insurance. Money market (mutual) funds are the animal you're talking about and are not insured. To make things more confusing, the words in parentheses are usually not used so the names are more similar (but still different).

kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
https://www.statefarm.com/simple-ins...y-market-funds

little things matter.........bank accounts are usually called money market (deposit) accounts and have the FDIC insurance. Money market (mutual) funds are the animal you're talking about and are not insured. To make things more confusing, the words in parentheses are usually not used so the names are more similar (but still different).
Correct. This is why you should always read the fine print.

FWIW, if you are over the limits or fear being so in a deposit account, you can get what amounts to the same credit profile by buying T bills or a US Treasury money market fund. Full faith and credit is full faith and credit.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

You can increase FDIC (or NCUA) insurance by adding beneficiaries - up to 5 per "category" (ie: each single account owner, or joint account). So it's theoretically possible to insure for up to $1.25M each individual owner (5 beneficiaries listed - even if one of them only gets 1% or $1) and $1.5M joint.

More info..https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog...ficiaries.html. You can also play around with the FDIC or NCUA coverage calculators to confirm different setups.
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24601NoMore View Post
................................... You can also play around with the FDIC or NCUA coverage calculators to confirm different setups.
Have you tried using the calculator for POD acct w/ 2 owners, 1 beneficiary.

For both calculators if I input 750K value, I find 250K uninsured. Not surprising in a ways since both calculators look like 1 was copied from the other. Is this correct or an error?
Old 09-10-2019, 05:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Have you tried using the calculator for POD acct w/ 2 owners, 1 beneficiary.

For both calculators if I input 750K value, I find 250K uninsured. Not surprising in a ways since both calculators look like 1 was copied from the other. Is this correct or an error?
If I remember right, that's expected - you lose one of the owners when there's a beneficiary. So, 2 owners with 1 beneficiary s/be $500K. Try adding a 2nd bene and you should get to $750K.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:11 PM   #26

Or even better..

Husband, POD wife w/1 beneficiary - $500K.

Wife, POD husband w/1 different beneficiary - $500K.

Husband and wife, JTWROS - $500K

Total: $1.5M. And that's before you start to add additional benes or get creative with different account types (taxable v. IRA v. trust) and other creative tricks.

ETA - don't have time to check at the moment so please don't take that you have to have different benes listed in the above scenario to get to $1M on the individually titled accounts..if someone has time plz run the calculator and check if they need to be different benes or can be the same..
Old 09-10-2019, 07:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24601NoMore View Post
If I remember right, that's expected - you lose one of the owners when there's a beneficiary. So, 2 owners with 1 beneficiary s/be $500K. Try adding a 2nd bene and you should get to $750K.
That's a novel explanation for the one beneficiary case. Problem is if I have 2 beneficiaries the NCUA says 1M.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:03 AM   #28

I spoke with the branch manager of my CU to set up a CD ladder in our joint account. We have $1m to divide equally into 4 CDs and was told it they would be insured if a CD was in each of our names and the other 2 CDs would be in a trust for each of the 2 children. Is that the same as beneficiaries? Is there a downside?

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:25 AM   #29

There’s also the CDARS program.
https://www.cdars.com/home/how-cdars-works
Old 09-11-2019, 06:36 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I spoke with the branch manager of my CU to set up a CD ladder in our joint account. We have $1m to divide equally into 4 CDs and was told it they would be insured if a CD was in each of our names and the other 2 CDs would be in a trust for each of the 2 children. Is that the same as beneficiaries? ................................

Cheers!
I believe so. If you use the edie calculator, when you pick the account type,
one option is POD/ITF..........payable on death/in trust for........and then you are asked to pick beneficiaries. More specifically (check w/ the manager):
you may want to have
1)POD: owner H/beneficiary W 250K
2)POD: owner W/beneficiary H 250K
3) POD: owners H/W; beneficiaries C1/C2
that way transfers are automatic w/o probate.