Join Early Retirement Today

What To Do When FDIC-Insured Acct Exceeds $250K?
Old 07-16-2019, 04:26 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What To Do When FDIC-Insured Acct Exceeds $250K?

I got a notice from Fidelity today about exceeding the amount of FDIC insurance on my brokerage account, which hadn't even occurred to me, so I'm glad they did that.

What do you do in this case? Just open another account somewhere and move some money into it? Hubby is in the same boat.
SoReadyToRetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't know brokerage accounts were covered by FDIC. So are you saying that once your brokerage account exceeded $250,000 Fidelity contacted you??
Old 07-16-2019, 04:34 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman View Post
I didn't know brokerage accounts were covered by FDIC. So are you saying that once your brokerage account exceeded $250,000 Fidelity contacted you??
Brokerage accounts aren't covered by FDIC, although you can have investments that are covered by FDIC. Brokered CDs, for example, but you'd have to have more than the FDIC limit per unique bank. No, Fidelity won't contact based on exceeding $250K in a brokerage account.

Some clarification by OP would be helpful.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry--I misspoke calling it a "brokerage account".

It's the only account I have at Fidelity--it's the IRA account I rolled all my former 401k's over into over time.

I got an email from them today in part saying this:

"Because one or more of your Fidelity accounts has a position that is eligible for FDIC insurance coverage, we want to remind you about current FDIC coverage limits so you can accurately monitor your balances.

Generally, deposits at a bank held in nonretirement and qualified retirement accounts such as traditional or Roth IRAs are eligible for up to $250,000 coverage for each account owner, at each bank or depository institution. Certain holdings at Fidelity are eligible for FDIC insurance coverage and have the same limits."
SoReadyToRetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:49 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Buy some t bills.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:53 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Now I understand. It's nice that Fidelity gives you this warning. I have an account with Ally bank and have never received a warning as such, even though I have exceeded the insured amount by a few thousand dollars at times.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoReadyToRetire View Post

It's the only account I have at Fidelity--it's the IRA account I rolled all my former 401k's over into over time.

"Because one or more of your Fidelity accounts has a position that is eligible for FDIC insurance coverage, we want to remind you about current FDIC coverage limits so you can accurately monitor your balances.

Generally, deposits at a bank held in nonretirement and qualified retirement accounts such as traditional or Roth IRAs are eligible for up to $250,000 coverage for each account owner, at each bank or depository institution. Certain holdings at Fidelity are eligible for FDIC insurance coverage and have the same limits."
The part you've quoted just sounds like a standard piece of information. Is there anything in the email that specifically says that this position exceeds the $250K FDIC limit?

Here's a link from the Fidelity site:

https://www.fidelity.com/why-fidelit...ts?ccsource=VA

Quote:
Fidelity's FDIC Insured Deposit Sweep Program details
In utilizing the Program, your uninvested cash balance is swept to a program bank where the deposit is eligible for FDIC insurance. If you have more than $245,000 in uninvested cash in your account, the Program maximizes your eligibility for FDIC insurance by systematically allocating this uninvested cash across multiple program banks. At a minimum, there are generally five banks available to accept customer deposits, making customers eligible for nearly $1,250,000 of FDIC insurance.
In short, if you're truly exceeding the limit at a program bank, then you've got too much cash sitting around not doing much for you. Brokered CDs would be better, if you want FDIC insurance.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoReadyToRetire View Post

Are you sure you are actually over or near the limit? Or simply received this notice because your account is a type that can be covered?

I received the same email because I have an HSA account...that has a balance of only $14k.

I suggest calling Fidelity to ask specifically if you are at the limit. The rep should be able to review your accounts and let you know.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:35 PM   #9

I received the email on Monday as well. It is not a notice that you have any issues regarding the $250k FDIC limit, it is simply a public service announcement to tell you to keep it in mind...

Quote:
Monitor your FDIC-insured balances

Because one or more of your Fidelity accounts has a position that is eligible for FDIC insurance coverage, we want to remind you about current FDIC coverage limits so you can accurately monitor your balances.

Generally, deposits at a bank held in nonretirement and qualified retirement accounts such as traditional or Roth IRAs are eligible for up to $250,000 coverage for each account owner, at each bank or depository institution. Certain holdings at Fidelity are eligible for FDIC insurance coverage and have the same limits.

Eligible balances or positions include:
◾ Certificates of deposit (CDs) — Brokered CDs that are issued by an FDIC-insured institution
◾ Core balances in the Fidelity® Cash Management Account
◾ Core balances in eligible Fidelity IRAs or Fidelity Health Savings Accounts
◾ Any 529 Bank Deposit Portfolio investments

Please keep in mind, monitoring your FDIC coverage is your responsibility.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
I received the email on Monday as well. It is not a notice that you have any issues regarding the $250k FDIC limit, it is simply a public service announcement to tell you to keep it in mind...
+1

I just got the email today as well. There is nothing in the wording that specifies that the recipient is in danger of exceeding, or has exceeded, the FDIC insurance limits. No cause for alarm at all. Unless someone has no firm grasp of what account positions they have.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #11

I have also received the "heads-up" reminder email from Fido
The key is to review your positions to confirm you do not have any CDs more than 250K with one bank per account. You may very well have more than 250k in the brokerage account but do you have more than 250 with a single issuer? If not you should be fine would be my understanding.
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:08 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I got the same heads up from Fidelity - in our case we have a couple Fidelity credit cards and as points build up they convert to dollars and get deposited into a Fidelity account. that runs between $100 and $1500 as it builds up and we drain it down. Other accounts with Ally and Discover and EBSB are all kept under the $250k cap. Not really too tough if you look at Quicken as much as I do and have a clue what kind of money is showing up at what time.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I think I got this email and saw it as a reminder.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #14

Yep it looks like just a reminder. I've got quite a few CD's at Fido but no individual bank is near 250k. When I got the email I understood it to just be a general heads up , not a detailed analysis of my holdings.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:54 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Understanding FDIC coverage is so confusing to me. I called Discover Banking this morning to find out what the FDIC limits were on our accounts. Discover read me a statement then told me i should contact FDIC to find out for sure. FCID number is 877-275-3342 and their web site is www.fdic.gov. Before you call you need to know how your accounts are titled (Single, Joint) They also need to know if you have a beneficiary and if so how many. I called FDIC and I have a better feeling but still need to call them back. Me and my wife are joint owners and have 1 Beneficiary. I believe they told me if I added 1 more beneficiary the account would be protected up to 1 million.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Understanding FDIC coverage is so confusing to me. I called Discover Banking this morning to find out what the FDIC limits were on our accounts. Discover read me a statement then told me i should contact FDIC to find out for sure. FCID number is 877-275-3342 and their web site is www.fdic.gov. Before you call you need to know how your accounts are titled (Single, Joint) They also need to know if you have a beneficiary and if so how many. I called FDIC and I have a better feeling but still need to call them back. Me and my wife are joint owners and have 1 Beneficiary. I believe they told me if I added 1 more beneficiary the account would be protected up to 1 million.
Basically, it's $250K per name on the account, including all joint owners and beneficiaries. 2 joint owners with one beneficiary would have protection on the account of $750K.

If coverage of that magnitude isn't sufficient, it's easy enough to buy commission-free brokered CDs, no more than $250K per unique bank.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I might have mislead people with the post below. I called FDIC after using their FDIC calculator. It didn't agree with what the FDIC guy told me.

https://edie.fdic.gov/calculator.html

Me and my wife have several joint accounts with our daughter the beneficiary. When i ran the calculator it only showed good to only $500k. I called back in and visited with a woman. She told me if i removed the Beneficiary from a few of my other accounts they would not be POD accounts and then I would have two accounts with both good up to $500k. Sorry for any confusion this might have caused. To be SAFE it looks like people need to visit with FDIC if any questions.

Quote:
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:48 AM   #18

Quote:
I might have mislead people with the post below. I called FDIC after using their FDIC calculator. It didn't agree with what the FDIC guy told me.

Me and my wife have several joint accounts with our daughter the beneficiary. When i ran the calculator it only showed good to only $500k. I called back in and visited with a woman. She told me if i removed the Beneficiary from a few of my other accounts they would not be POD accounts and then I would have two accounts with both good up to $500k. Sorry for any confusion this might have caused. To be SAFE it looks like people need to visit with FDIC if any questions.
The bolded is only true if the joint accounts are w/ different banks, right?
Otherwise 2 joint accts w/ the same bank is insured to 500K total.
2 jt accts w/ 2 different banks is insured to 500K each for total of 1M.

There are workarounds if you want to stay at same bank.
Jt = 500K; single A w/POD = 250K; single B w/POD=250K for total of 1M.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
Basically, it's $250K per name on the account, including all joint owners and beneficiaries. 2 joint owners with one beneficiary would have protection on the account of $750K.

I believe this is incorrect. Coverage would only be 500K.
Use the edie calculator and be sure to click on the Calculate Coverage tab.

strange thing tho.........if I put 2 owners/1 beneficiary coverage is 500K , same as 2 owners/0 beneficiaries.
Yet if I put 2 owners/2 beneficiaries, coverage is 1M.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #20
gone traveling

Just for what its worth.
For those unaware certain Money Market Funds w/some custodians are not FDIC insured to 250k either.

The (moneymarketfunds) are considered "investments".
Just sayin.......

cited: Moneymarketmutualfunds.....my oversight.
Thx for the catch kaneohe.....
bolt is offline   Reply With Quote