What to do with 500k?

mouschi

Dryer sheet wannabe
A hugely wild question - especially since I don't have it (haha!) But, I am thinking a little outside the box here. If I sell my business, and someone actually comes up with the money, I'm wondering, as a 30 year old, what should I do with 500k cash? We live off of about 30-35k a year. Any ideas?

Give it away to charity.

Pay off debts except for your 3% fixed rate mortgage, then add the remainder to your portfolio and just follow your asset allocation plan. I'm surprised you even asked this question because the answer is always the same.

i don't understand what you mean by being surprised i asked. I don't have debt, and i don't have an asset allocation plan.

Get an asset allocation plan which is always the answer to folks who don't have one.

Hi Mouschi,

When I was 30, I thought "asset allocation" had something to do with how I wore my jeans :LOL: And it's true--one's asset allocation inevitably changes with age!

Anyway, AA is a key investing concept. Plus, it varies depending on your risk tolerance. You can find more AA-related threads on this forum - just by typing "asset allocation" into the search box - than you can shake your mouse at. Better that you start researching AA now, so when you do come into that $500K, you'll know exactly what to do with it.

Congratulations on having no debt and owning your own business.

Amethyst

What, is your familyafraid of mice? I even consulted Urban Dictionary to see if "mouse" has some naughty slang meaning. :confused:

Please this is a family forum :LOL:

Read one of Jack Bogle, Larry Swedroe or Bill Bernsteins & you will know what to do based on your risk tolerance & other needs.

get in while you still can ! There's no time to waste !

5 Hot stocks Now

Hot Stocks - 2011

$100K in beaver cheese futures, invest the rest in "sex, drugs and rock'n roll" :D

On a more serious note, the only advise worth following here is to educate yourself and DIY. If that means keeping a lot of cash until you are ready to invest it, so be it. It's your money and no one else cares about it as much as you [-]should[/-] do.

Since you're on this forum and thinking outside the box [at the same time], you could retire right now if you doubled your spending efficiency thus cutting your expenses in half. $500k will throw off 15k/yr indefinitely.

Back
Top Bottom