Join Early Retirement Today

What to do with a bounced check
Old 01-31-2008, 09:05 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

What to do with a bounced check

Board:

On a different thread I asked for a recommendation as to what to do with a renter behind on the rent.

Along those responses, what do you guys do with a bounced rent check?

I see a lot of recommendations regarding cash only...but you do have some options with a bounced check as well.

Since I currently have in my possesion a bounced check from a renter, what would you guys do with it should i choose to evict?
Buku is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buku View Post
Board:

On a different thread I asked for a recommendation as to what to do with a renter behind on the rent.

Along those responses, what do you guys do with a bounced rent check?

I see a lot of recommendations regarding cash only...but you do have some options with a bounced check as well.

Since I currently have in my possesion a bounced check from a renter, what would you guys do with it should i choose to evict?
Start by determining if your county has an aggressive "hot check program."
Some are very good, some otherwise. Most have a limit as to how old the check can be. The ones I used in Texas were all 30 days.
Of course if the account is still active, check with the bank daily--you never know.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:21 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

See if your city/county DA's office will help. They have a hot check division here and came through for me the one time I asked for their assistance.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

What would you guys do if your renter with a bounced check just happened to work for the clerk of the courts for the county where your rental home was located.
Buku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:30 AM   #5

Quote:
What would you guys do if your renter with a bounced check just happened to work for the clerk of the courts for the county where your rental home was located.
Depends on how evil I was feeling.
But, all in all, you should not need to handle it any different.
Given the person's position in life, they should jump at the chance to make restitution if you hint you are proceeding with legal action..That is if they have half a brain
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:34 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Contact the DA and file for payment. If you get no action, write a letter to the editor of your local paper and contact the "crack team of investigative reporters" at you local TV stations regarding the apparent conflict of interest.*

*Consider the potential cost of relocation in the interest of personal safety before taking this step.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:43 AM   #7

Courts, DA What theeee ...

Call the BANK and see if it'll CLEAR ... if yes, walk it to the teller and CASH IT. If no, ask the tenant when it will be covered.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Start by determining if your county has an aggressive "hot check program."
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
See if your city/county DA's office will help.
Our county state's attorneys office is pretty good about dealing with people that bounce checks. There are always people getting hauled in to the county pokey for writing bad checks, and getting to see 'up close & personal' how our judicial system works.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Make sure you also add on the exhorbitant bounced check fee you are being charged by the bank. In my area, it's $30.
A854321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:52 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

If its a rent check (the rent is now late) or a quit or pay notice (now payment never made), I'd immediately file for eviction. Then write a demand letter to make the check good with cash in 3 days. Then, file with the city/county DA's office. In the mean time I'd be at the bank it was drawn on, every day to see if they would cash it or if I made a $5 or $10 account deposit, without actually making the deposit unless they would cash it.

Best of luck, you probably are out of luck on collecting on the check. But its worth some effort to try.
HpRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:22 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Tryan is right.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
If I paid my rent with a hot check, I would expect to be evicted in short order. Give him 3 days to come up with the cash, or boot him out.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:28 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Take the check to his bank and bring some cash with you. Ask them if it will clear--if it will, cash it right then. If it won't, ask how much the account is short and then deposit that much in cash and cash the check in the same transaction.
dinodino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:03 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Always wait a couple days and try it a second time to see if it will clear before taking bigger steps.