Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-29-2015, 12:41 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

"I'd spend half on sin and vice. The rest I'd probably just waste."
-can't remember who said it first, maybe Yogi Berra?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would park it and spend it on years I go over the budget. I may give myself a percentage of it as an attaboy.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #43
gone traveling

Out of curiosity how do you track your day to day expenses? Spreadsheet? Software?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-29-2015, 11:14 AM   #44
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneygrubber View Post
Out of curiosity how do you track your day to day expenses? Spreadsheet? Software?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
I use mint.com and fidelity to gather some numbers, then put them into a spreadsheet. I like the flexibility of the spreadsheet. I used Quicken years ago on a PC and liked it, but I've heard Quicken for Mac is substandard so I began working on my own spreadsheet.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:57 AM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneygrubber View Post
Personally I keep track of spending in Excel, on a spreadsheet that I have most aptly named "Spending 2015". I have set up my "Spending 2016" spreadsheet too, and will transition over to it on Friday.

I like Excel because of its flexibility and because I have used it for many years.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:04 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Personally I keep track of spending in Excel, on a spreadsheet that I have most aptly named "Spending 2015". I have set up my "Spending 2016" spreadsheet too, and will transition over to it on Friday.

I like Excel because of its flexibility and because I have used it for many years.
I use Excel too. I started in 2012 with a downloadable expense accounting template and customized it for my spending patterns and the questions I wanted to ask. I do data entry once a month. Data entry is relatively simple as I can download all my banking and credit card data to Excel for analysis.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:49 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are in the same situation as you, OP. DW is still working but won't be in a couple more months. But we've been living on our ER budget for 2 years now. Year 1 we slightly overspent the budget to tackle a planned major house renovation (exterior siding, new windows, major roof repair).

Year 2 we are running about 25% under budget (in spite of 8 weeks of international travel - about all we can squeeze in with 3 kids, 2 of which are in school). I'm mostly doing your option (a) - noting it and moving on.

But for 2016 I'm increasing my target budget by about 25% to hopefully get us to live a little larger and spend more. The new and improved larger budget still represents 3% of our actual portfolio (after carving off set asides for kids' college and some other fun stuff).

I'm not worrying about carrying forward our 2015 cost under runs, but I'll certainly feel better about busting the budget in the future if a major unexpected expense pops up or we tackle a major replacement item (HVAC, roof, new(er) car, etc) in the next few years.

I certainly don't see a need to spend the money frivolously, but instead deploy it in your ordinary budget throughout the year. For us, that's meant trying some pure luxury purchases at the grocery store (fancy cheeses, beers, wines, champagnes, caviar, etc) and booking another cruise and searching for a 3rd winter cruise for just me and DW. It also means we can replace our (rarely used) aging car(s) in 2016 and not worry about the spike in expenses for 1 year.