what to do with cd

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have 250k in a savings account drawing 1% and a local credit union is offering a 60 month cd at 2.47 with a 180 day penalty for early withdrawal. Should I go for the cd and pay the penalty if rates go up or sit on the 1%? what are your thoughts? thanks

frank

Interest rates will almost surely go up during the next 60 months. How does the rate on the 60 month CD compare with CDs of 1, 2 or 3 years? If the difference is not that much, you could go with the shorter duration.

I would probably hedge a little and put some in that CD, and split the rest between one and two year CD's and the 1 percent savings account. Synchrony is offering 1.30 percent for a 14 month CD for existing customers and a 1.45 percent CD for two years for everyone. The promo code for the 14 month CD is CCD14. E-Loan is offering 1.52 percent for the 2 year CD per depositaccounts.com.

Is that taxable? If so, I would suggest a ladder of muni bonds up to 60 months, say $50K each spread a year apart. As a year matures, you can roll it over at the then current (hopefully higher) rate.

It is very hard, if not possible, to predict if rates are going to be higher in 60 months because it depends on economy, monetary policies, trade deficit, debt, involvement in conflicts,trade / currency wars etc. If the money are set for CDs (FDIC insured) then I would go $100K 60 month now, then within next 12 month depending on rates and your AA goals make a decision for another CD.

I would probably hedge a little and put some in that CD, and split the rest between one and two year CD's and the 1 percent savings account. Synchrony is offering 1.30 percent for a 14 month CD for existing customers and a 1.45 percent CD for two years for everyone. The promo code for the 14 month CD is CCD14. E-Loan is offering 1.52 percent for the 2 year CD per depositaccounts.com.

Thanks for that.

Back
Top Bottom