Join Early Retirement Today
What to do with extra 20k?
Old 05-08-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
What to do with extra 20k?

I am 47 and have an extra 20k from a business that I closed. I won't be needing liquidity for a long while (15 yrs) I am looking for some advice on where to park it? I'd like to make a decent return and if it can be tax free income that would be even better.

zerogravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
Personally, I'd look at my overall asset allocation and see if the percentages are what I want. if not, I'd use the extra money to help get the percentages where i want them. If my percentages were where I wanted, I'd invest the money in a balanced fund with my desired allocations.

But do you have debt outstanding? You may make the best return paying down debt.

Katiek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #3
Katiek's suggestions are good. If you are still looking for a place to park it at reasonably low risk with tax-free income, take a look at VMLUX (Vanguard limited term municipal bond fund). It's where I park our "cash" reserves to drawdown for spending when needed.
"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute." William Feather
ER'd Oct. 2010 at 53. Life is good.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
Multi level marketing. 20k in soap and stuff.

(That wasn't serious.)
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
First pay off high interest loans like a credit card. If you don't need it for 15 years, I'd make sure to fully fund a Roth IRA. I'd start with cash then gradually buy into something like SPY, a good bond fund like MWTRX, and a healthcare sector ETF so after a year have a mix of all four assets that you feel comfortable with then rebalance every year or so. The key is to build up a Roth, IMHO. I wish I had more Roth than traditional IRA but may look into some conversion over the next few years.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:10 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm surprised no one has said "give it to me"
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:14 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
1. Give it to me and I'll help you make money on that, or
2. Put it all in Vanguard US Stock Market ETF
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:41 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
For thought, consider the other side of the coin… instead of putting it somewhere to “make” money, do you have some aspect of your life where $20k now would help you avoid spending money over the next 15 years.

Sample thoughts… Extensive home insulation upgrade to avoid the out of pocket costs of rising energy prices. Depending on your climate, sun, electrical cost, etc., photovoltaic cells to eliminate some portion of your electrical bill.
unno2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:11 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
Is "hookers and blow" an inappropriate suggestion?

That's what I'd do. Well, maybe not. I'd have to check with DW first.
Why be normal when you can be yourself?
cooch96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:21 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets
OP here. This is why I finally joined up to this forum! Priceless advice! You guys really have me thinking now. I appreciate the serious answers and am having a good laugh over the MLM idea! I remember when I was not so far out of college and got invited to a "special investing group". Soap and water purification filters and a chance for a piece of the American Dream!
I like the last idea especially- pay off something now to avoid paying in the future. Hmmm. Fuel efficient car? Life insurance policy? Solar panels? Wind?
Or a mental health investment? Like a personal masseuse or a cruise around the world? Intangible benefits are tax free.,.
zerogravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:45 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by zerogravity View Post
OP here. <snip> Hmmm. Fuel efficient car? <snip>
2012 or 2013 Chevrolet Volt from CarMax if you have a place at home to charge up. Even 120v plug would do for a 10hr overnight charge *if* you drained the 40 mile battery by the end of the day.

eroscott is offline   Reply With Quote