Join Early Retirement Today
What to do with intermediate funds
Old 01-13-2015, 10:29 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
What to do with intermediate funds

I have saved several months of expenses to keep in checking accounts (haven't decided if it will be 3-6 months). Most of the excess money, which I don't plan on touching for years, I have invested in the stock market.

What do I do with intermediate funds? I might buy real estate within the next couple years, possibly this year if there is a housing correction. I don't want to have a substantial amount sitting in cash and savings accounts rates are low, are there other options? I don't know much about bonds but aren't bonds risky due to interest rate fluctuations?

Should I consider getting a state or government bond fund, so that the interest will be taxfree at the state or federal level?

inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2015, 12:01 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I use an online money market/savings account at Ally or Sallie Mae Bank, which pays about 0.90%. A CD or CD ladder would be similar if you didn't mind the hassle.

I have had some FGMNX, a GNMA mortgage-backed securities fund, which has been the highest yielding of the least volatile bond options I looked at. Short-term bonds should be similar.

If you have a stable value fund in a 401k that might be a good option as well. Although that will mess with your taxable/tax deferred balance if things move around a lot. That might defeat the purpose, though it's not too hard to keep your overall AA in balance.

Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #3
I use Vanguard Tax-Free Intermediate (VWITX) for this purpose (federally tax-free). If you live in a large state with high income taxes, some of the big investment firms offer state-specific funds, but I don't know if they have an intermediate duration or just a general fund (no income tax in TX so haven't looked into this in quite a while).
"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute." William Feather
ER'd Oct. 2010 at 53. Life is good.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:13 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
You can buy 5 year CDs for 2.25% interest paid per year. Take a look at the deals and often the penalty for early withdrawal is not that high. It might be 6 months of interest. That is a higher rate than the "safe" short-term bond funds are paying at the moment, and not subject to the risks of putting money in a bond fund. If you make slightly less that last year for pulling the money out early - maybe not such a big deal.
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote